**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 16, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #20,431 of 22,116
Well after reading for days about the dac/amp combo I've settled on an Schiit Asgard 2/Modi 2 Uber combination.
The Lyr2 is just a little too much for me price-wise (though I might change my opinion - after all this is headfi :) ).
The decision was between a Magni2 Uber or an Asgard2 for the HE-400 (which btw is coming in tomorrow).
Hope it's a good decision - well at least it's not the end of the world price-wise, but I'm sure it sounds better
then my laptop or tablet.

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #20,433 of 22,116
Well after reading for days about the dac/amp combo I've settled on an Schiit Asgard 2/Modi 2 Uber combination.
The Lyr2 is just a little too much for me price-wise (though I might change my opinion - after all this is headfi :) ).
The decision was between a Magni2 Uber or an Asgard2 for the HE-400 (which btw is coming in tomorrow).
Hope it's a good decision - well at least it's not the end of the world price-wise, but I'm sure it sounds better
then my laptop or tablet.

Laptop or tablet? Then whatever anyone here says about your choice (good or bad) it will sound much, much better :)

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #20,435 of 22,116
Ahh new package arrived today.
Bit later then I expected, but there were some postoffice strikes this weekend.
Amp and dac not yet arrived but I'll be definitely doing some listening tonight.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #20,436 of 22,116
Laptop or tablet? Then whatever anyone here says about your choice (good or bad) it will sound much, much better :)

Indeed. :)
Well the sound from the tablet (with Wolfson dac and Neutron player) is not that bad actually, but the amp in it is almost non existing.
I had a Fidelio X1 before and that was just about enough volume, but these HE-400 definitely need more power.
Been listening non-stop tonight.
Quite a different sound signature then the X1, I like it more. Whereas the X1 has a midbass boost, this one doesn't but
at the same time goes deeper. Weird but very nice change.
Singers sound as they are in front of you (not with every track though), whereas with the X1 you're sitting besides them.
Also listened to it from the laptop which does have the volume, but sounds muddied, which is not the headphones fault,
because I had that as well with the X1.
I have no problem with the weight, but I do notice the standard pads (especially with this warm weather) can get a bit sticky,
but not too bad.
Eagerly waiting for the amp/dac.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #20,437 of 22,116

Laptop or tablet? Then whatever anyone here says about your choice (good or bad) it will sound much, much better
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed. :)
Well the sound from the tablet (with Wolfson dac and Neutron player) is not that bad actually, but the amp in it is almost non existing.
I had a Fidelio X1 before and that was just about enough volume, but these HE-400 definitely need more power.
Been listening non-stop tonight.
Quite a different sound signature then the X1, I like it more. Whereas the X1 has a midbass boost, this one doesn't but
at the same time goes deeper. Weird but very nice change.
Singers sound as they are in front of you (not with every track though), whereas with the X1 you're sitting besides them.
Also listened to it from the laptop which does have the volume, but sounds muddied, which is not the headphones fault,
because I had that as well with the X1.
I have no problem with the weight, but I do notice the standard pads (especially with this warm weather) can get a bit sticky,
but not too bad.
Eagerly waiting for the amp/dac.

I've found the bass and midrange sounds a little funky with the pleather pads. I'm really a fan of the focuspads, and would strongly recommend them if you enjoy this headphone.

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #20,438 of 22,116
Quick question for those that are running an O2/ODAC with their HE-400, when I have fubar volume set to 100% and Windows volume set to 100% the amp is set very low ( only at about 15%), is this normal?

Been using the focus pads for a while now (coming from velours) and I have been very happy, super comfortable!

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #20,439 of 22,116
Quick question for those that are running an O2/ODAC with their HE-400, when I have fubar volume set to 100% and Windows volume set to 100% the amp is set very low ( only at about 15%), is this normal?

Been using the focus pads for a while now (coming from velours) and I have been very happy, super comfortable!

I don't use the same amp as you (using a fiio e10k), but yea, same thing as you, high foobar & windows, low amp. Given the relatively low impedance of the he-400, this isn't surprising at all.

Regarding whether to use high windows volume with low amp volume, vs low windows volume with high amp volume, I've read that it is better to have 100% software volume (ie windows and foobar in your case), to preserve all the details. Not sure how true that is though, never really tested it.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #20,440 of 22,116

I don't use the same amp as you (using a fiio e10k), but yea, same thing as you, high foobar & windows, low amp. Given the relatively low impedance of the he-400, this isn't surprising at all.

Regarding whether to use high windows volume with low amp volume, vs low windows volume with high amp volume, I've read that it is better to have 100% software volume (ie windows and foobar in your case), to preserve all the details. Not sure how true that is though, never really tested it.

It is the better way to go, but if your amp is really at the low-end then feel free to experiment. It all stems from the fact that digital volume control reduces resolution with 16-bit files. Then again amps don't always sound their best at minimal volumes. The purist would say otherwise, but listen with your ears and decide - you might like the sound better with a little more amplifier drive.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #20,441 of 22,116
Hey all - missing the bass on the 400 and thinking about buying them yet again. Only listen to EDM on them - how do the focus/focus-a pads affect the sound on the 400? Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #20,442 of 22,116
So...O2 is $70 through Mass Drop, trying to decide if I should go that route with the HE-400, keep running from my old Kenwood amp, or head in a different direction.  Not really ready to go more than $100 on an amp at the moment, and I have an old Creative X-fi Platinum as my DAC currently.  Thoughts?

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #20,443 of 22,116
  Hey all - missing the bass on the 400 and thinking about buying them yet again. Only listen to EDM on them - how do the focus/focus-a pads affect the sound on the 400? Cheers 
beerchug.gif

I have the focus-a pads. I used the velour previously for the pleather sounded awful. My opinion is focus-a pads have the same or nearly the same sound quality with 200+% comfort improvement on the HE-400. (Oddly, I find the metal crossbar on the HE-500 driver hits my ear tip with the focus-a pad thus comfort is very disappointing. Sadly.) On the HE-400, I would never go back to the velour or pleather pads. The focus-a pads are pricey but worth every cent.

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #20,444 of 22,116
^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #20,445 of 22,116
beerchug.gif

Focus pads are pretty good IMO, I did change the mounting ring to the metal one from the HE-400i/560 and installed a gasket so the bass is extended and never muddy.  The velour's are not bad either and they tame the highs a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back