**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 8, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #20,401 of 22,116
  Its actually good to hear that the 400i might not be such an "obvious" upgrade - they really priced me out anyway, and I was sure the single-sided planar was going to be ultimately a little less "fun" in the bass department.

Considering I've got the HE-400 sounding about as good as I can, I am going to focus on getting probably something with a Harmon Curve next - like the NAD HP50s or something else. At least so far it seems possible to get them for $300 or less. Frankly, I'd rather be in a $200 can at this point as my next big purchases will all be home theater related . . .
biggrin.gif

Just my own opinion, but yeah, I think the HE-400i is a step backward sonically. It's just lifeless, whereas the 400 truly captivated me from the first listen. I'm really regretting my decision. I really figured this would be an upgrade. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #20,404 of 22,116
very beautiful !  
beerchug.gif
i am jealous of your talented hand

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #20,405 of 22,116
Its mahogany, but since wood doesn't have grain on all sides, I used a piece of veneer to wrap around it. Due to the nature of the HE-400's shape, some of the sides would look awful without a veneer

Edit: Album with two other pictures: http://imgur.com/a/qSqHi

Nice job!

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #20,406 of 22,116
Just my own opinion, but yeah, I think the HE-400i is a step backward sonically. It's just lifeless, whereas the 400 truly captivated me from the first listen. I'm really regretting my decision. I really figured this would be an upgrade. 

It's funny as I've just found this thread after looking for comparisons of the 400 and 400i. I have been a fan of the Senny HD650'S and bought the 400i as an upgrade and never took to them. After selling them I thought I'd try the originals and I think I've found something much more special here. Its early days but the initial impressions are good!

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #20,407 of 22,116
It's funny as I've just found this thread after looking for comparisons of the 400 and 400i. I have been a fan of the Senny HD650'S and bought the 400i as an upgrade and never took to them. After selling them I thought I'd try the originals and I think I've found something much more special here. Its early days but the initial impressions are good!

What's your chain with them? The 400 is a much different animal, and more of a contrast than the 650 vs 400i. The 400 has a lot of qualities you may like compared to those two. More fun, less laid-back, better bass and details.

Edit: btw I spent a few years just south of you in Lincolnshire - used to visit Hull (or Kingston-upon-Hull) every now and then :)

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #20,408 of 22,116
dear fellows headfier and lover of the he 400 this is an important news for all .... there it is a citation of my post on another forum to thanks Edstrelow who created this thread about the simple mods of the he 400 with sorbothane :
( 7 patches of sorbothane around the exterior cups of the he 400 )

«Dear Edstrelow my sincere gratitude for your very kind offer..... I have accepted it and i must say WOW! i was on the verge to no more listen to my he 400 because my basic stax system was more interesting.... But with 10 patches of sorbothane on each cups of the he 400.... The mids was better the higher frequencies more clear the bass more oceanic...totally different experience than my he 400 witout this mod another headphone no more v shape headphone for me but a  more equilibratred one with a more great soundstage ....more like speakers than headphone....I cannot transform the stax in the same manner, i had the stax lambda basic and i am afraid to open them.....But your idea is very important for any designer of headphone now......i cannot figure why they have not  try it....i will send photos of my he 400 ....i think that if i had the guts of opening them perhaps near the driver the sorbothane will made miracle.... Thanks for you generous perseverance here 
L3000.gif
»

i invite you all to read carefully this thread :

Damping Mechanical Resonance Distortion of STAX phones with SORBOTHANE: LAMBDAS, SRXIII PRO, SR003, SR007 and finally the SIGMA.

Important note and revision: Read  below post # 20868

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #20,409 of 22,116

its like i had bought a  new world class headphone : the he 400 sorbothanized headphones.... Sound more like a speakers now than the old he 400
smile.gif
the desire to upgrade is lost ....i will buy the first planars designer who will try this mod near the interior grill ....cost ( few dollars )

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #20,410 of 22,116
** so this is supposed to reduce resonance in the ear cups? You'd get more takers if it was applied on the interior....

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #20,411 of 22,116
i dare not to open it and the transformation was sublime for me... its not an offer to take......its an information...... open it if you dare to make it i am sure that will be more extraordinary.......
regular_smile .gif

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #20,413 of 22,116
Great, I want to buy these headphones and went to the amazon.it site.
They don't sent it to my address in The Netherlands.
Went to amazon.co.uk and converted the 400 pound price to euro and they are for 556 euro, thats way too much compared with $298 at amazon.com.
But with amazon.com I have to pay tax and import duty.
Does anyone know where they are still available in Europe?

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #20,414 of 22,116
Selling my babies boys, 2nd time in five years lol. I will have them again, but for now I need the money (or money+headphone trade) much more!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/774240/he-400-w-velour-stock-pads-beyer-headstrap-and-bonus-grill-mesh-box-price-is-shipped

I don't want to spam things up here, I just need the gone ASAP. Man do I love these guys though
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #20,415 of 22,116
i had just tried the grill mod on the he 400...... very slight change compared to the sorbothane mod....The mids and soundstage of the he 400 are incomparable before and after sorbothane mod......
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back