**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 30, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #20,386 of 22,116
Paint is Plasti-Dip Anthracite Grey
http://www.amazon.com/Anthracite-Grey-colored-Plasti-Spray/dp/B00EKS5GDY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435643088&sr=8-2&keywords=plasti+dip+anthracite+grey+metallic
Ear Pads are HM5's replacement pads.

I will leave the other things as the covering parts, which couldn't be painted on you - it needs a lot of creativity..I would say covering the connector, two holes on the earcap and the grill is quite pain in the ass for sure...

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #20,387 of 22,116
  Paint is Plasti-Dip Anthracite Grey
http://www.amazon.com/Anthracite-Grey-colored-Plasti-Spray/dp/B00EKS5GDY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435643088&sr=8-2&keywords=plasti+dip+anthracite+grey+metallic
Ear Pads are HM5's replacement pads.

I will leave the other things as the covering parts, which couldn't be painted on you - it needs a lot of creativity..I would say covering the connector, two holes on the earcap and the grill is quite pain in the ass for sure...

I'd assumed you'd done a full disassembly of the cups and driver. Also curious if you took off and painted the slider cover that allows the height adjustment. This screams YouTube for the next brave soul lol. Really a beautiful job.

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #20,389 of 22,116
  No, full disassembly would be pointless, more pain than gain...

I haven't taken off the covers neither, a whole paint job setup has looked like...

That pic is worth 1,000 words - nice masking job, and probably safer than a full dis-assembly. Thanks mate.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #20,390 of 22,116
Little update - after painting and 1-2 days later the paint, or the finish/touch was little rough, not smooth and i felt like the paint would harden little bit - I was correct, today I've realized it has hardened and touch/feel of the finish is smoother, but still beautifully matte look

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #20,391 of 22,116
  Little update - after painting and 1-2 days later the paint, or the finish/touch was little rough, not smooth and i felt like the paint would harden little bit - I was correct, today I've realized it has hardened and touch/feel of the finish is smoother, but still beautifully matte look

Yeah - give the paint a little cure time for sure. Most take a good while to fully harden. Did you scuff the original plastic a bit first? Just wondering how the adhesion will be!

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #20,394 of 22,116
  Just wanted to drop and see how this thread was doing. Glad to see that it's alive and well and thriving after all this time. This headphone still has some of the best sub bass ever! Happy listening guys. 

Liking it much better after some initial hate. Both the Gustard H-10 and BH S.E.X are working well with it, although on the S.E.X I do sometimes have to EQ for longer sessions.

And yep - some of the best sub-bass for the buck - almost chasing the LCD2.2c's for less than half the price :)

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #20,395 of 22,116
Hey all...

So I wanted to make sure I posted about the resolution to my failed earcup, just to be fair to Hifiman. 

To their credit, they allowed me the flexibility to return the HE-400 to their American distributor in Deleware and to pay the difference to move up to the HE-400i. Communication was excellent and very friendly. 

I just received the HE-400i today. I'm thrilled with the comfort. This may be the first headphone that actually pulls even with - or even slightly surpasses - the reigning champs according to my ears, the Beyer T1s. 

I have been evaluating them over the past couple hours, and unfortuantely I'm not sure these sound quite as good. I felt the HE-400 (original) was a giant slayer in terms of the sound. Was absolutely thrilled. I need to give it more time, but I fear I may have actually downgraded unintentionally by going with the "i" version. Hopefully that won't be the case, but these aren't grabbing me quite the way the 400 did when I put it on my head. 

Just sort of reiterates my original point that the HE-400 is one HELL of a good headphone. Far better than I ever would have expected. Jury is still out on its successor, though. 

Anyway, I'm out...thanks for all the help and support!! 

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #20,396 of 22,116
  Hey all...

So I wanted to make sure I posted about the resolution to my failed earcup, just to be fair to Hifiman. 

To their credit, they allowed me the flexibility to return the HE-400 to their American distributor in Deleware and to pay the difference to move up to the HE-400i. Communication was excellent and very friendly. 

I just received the HE-400i today. I'm thrilled with the comfort. This may be the first headphone that actually pulls even with - or even slightly surpasses - the reigning champs according to my ears, the Beyer T1s. 

I have been evaluating them over the past couple hours, and unfortuantely I'm not sure these sound quite as good. I felt the HE-400 (original) was a giant slayer in terms of the sound. Was absolutely thrilled. I need to give it more time, but I fear I may have actually downgraded unintentionally by going with the "i" version. Hopefully that won't be the case, but these aren't grabbing me quite the way the 400 did when I put it on my head. 

Just sort of reiterates my original point that the HE-400 is one HELL of a good headphone. Far better than I ever would have expected. Jury is still out on its successor, though. 

I had the same feeling when I auditioned the i version last year..................not up to what I was expecting, especially in the bass.

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #20,397 of 22,116
  Hey all...

I started with the HE-400 as my first planar and got the HE-400i and HE-560 last year a few months after they had come out thinking that I was going to listen to all three and sell the other two after testing, ended up keeping all three due to the sounds being so different between them.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #20,399 of 22,116
Its actually good to hear that the 400i might not be such an "obvious" upgrade - they really priced me out anyway, and I was sure the single-sided planar was going to be ultimately a little less "fun" in the bass department.

Considering I've got the HE-400 sounding about as good as I can, I am going to focus on getting probably something with a Harmon Curve next - like the NAD HP50s or something else. At least so far it seems possible to get them for $300 or less. Frankly, I'd rather be in a $200 can at this point as my next big purchases will all be home theater related . . .
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back