**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 28, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #20,372 of 22,116

no, guys, I do not mean the ring, which holds driver inside the cup, I mean plastic ring on which you wear the earpad and then attach to the ear cup (as on the photo I linked :) )

Did you try contacting hifiman directly? Perhaps they could sell you replacements or give them for free. Not sure whether warranty covers this but worth a shot.

In the worst-case scenario, you could get a pair of replacement earpads and use the rings they come with. Not cost-effective but if there's no other option...

good point, I will email them, there is one more thing, which is...kinda strange

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #20,374 of 22,116
  good point, I will email them, there is one more thing, which is...kinda strange

I hope they can set you up with the rings you require. What might this other strange thing be?

And in case any confusion still remains, he's talking about the rings with the 4 tabs that keep the earpads attached to the headphone housing.

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #20,375 of 22,116
Well, I will try...

Fearless1 - I will not please you, I am from the Europe, which would be so so so much expensive, but thank you, I appreciate it.

Well, other than that I can use it even it is broken - I broke it while wearing on the Brainwavz replacement pads (from my own HM5s), but I was successfull with wearing on the new angled versions now - it is so tight, but it works

And the last, but not least - I finished my paint mod today - I have to buy few of the screws (which holds ear cups with the metal pieces), because mine during diassembly just sc*ewed up (damaged head cross)

Till then, there are a few shots of the painted cup and headband:

here you can actually see, how is that plastic ring not straight enough due the earpads are noticeably smaller, that actual ear cups

Jun 28, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #20,376 of 22,116
  Well, I will try...

Fearless1 - I will not please you, I am from the Europe, which would be so so so much expensive, but thank you, I appreciate it.

Well, other than that I can use it even it is broken - I broke it while wearing on the Brainwavz replacement pads (from my own HM5s), but I was successfull with wearing on the new angled versions now - it is so tight, but it works

And the last, but not least - I finished my paint mod today - I have to buy few of the screws (which holds ear cups with the metal pieces), because mine during diassembly just sc*ewed up (damaged head cross)

here you can actually see, how is that plastic ring not straight enough due the earpads are noticeably smaller, that actual ear cups

NIce paint job

Jun 28, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #20,378 of 22,116
  Well, I will try...

Great paint job looks awesome, I wanted to try painting my he-400s before but never got around to it ( it feels pretty risky since I never spray painted anything before).

I also realized something, should have checked after hearing some other talking about this. The driver retaining ring screws seemed to be a bit loose (or at least could've been tightened much more), anyways I tightened them and it stopped annoying crackling sound from popping up whenever the headphones moved a bit, and think it added a litter more smoothness in the base.

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #20,379 of 22,116
Thanks :) so it turns out a Nintendo 3DS game case is the perfect size to just keep them from compressing. For the 400i, at least.

Also just wanted to say it was dumb of me to consider selling these, they really are awesome. I'm gonna try to mod them some. probably fuzzor, then compare it to a fuzzor mod with foam instead of felt, to see if the treble backwave can be damped some.

Interested on this. If only I would know a specific kind of material (e.g., felt, silk, specific type of textile, etc.,) that woukd tame the unwanted treble peaks, I'd be very happy.

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #20,380 of 22,116
Interested on this. If only I would know a specific kind of material (e.g., felt, silk, specific type of textile, etc.,) that woukd tame the unwanted treble peaks, I'd be very happy.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think a material like felt which has loose/fluffy (also thicker porous) materials will help tame higher frequency's. Higher frequency are easily reflected so something which can absorb the reflection's should theoretically help reduce the treble peaks.

Haven't done the Fuzzor mod yet but, hope this helps.
Let us know how it turns out.

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #20,384 of 22,116
  and finally the final result (assembled)...paint job done.

Very very nice! Now that I'm going to keep / use my 400's this looks like an amazing way to get rid of that awful blue - I like how they look with the pads too. Great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back