**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 28, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #19,591 of 22,116
Hardly used HE400 for sale to any fellow head-fiers here in Singapore. With Audeze LCD2 black leather pads.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #19,592 of 22,116
  Been away from my headphones for awhile, as I sold my HE-400 and my Magni + Modi ... now I got the HE-400 back but am wondering what amp/DAC I should get.

I kinda missed the Fulla talk. Is it not good? Not a good pairing for the HE-400? What about the Magni 2?

one day i listen the magni 1 and the Ember .....no comparison for me... the Ember winned and without the best tube at the time.....With a 6ns7 tube the Ember is a marvel and my stax headphone + the basic stax system compete with the he 400 + the Ember,( choral music are better but for jazz the he 400 are better)...
wink_face.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #19,593 of 22,116
  HE-400 vs. Fidelio X2?

X2 > HE-400

There was numerous pages worth of discussion on this comparison not long ago when I had both headphones at the same time. I still have the X2. So IMO the X2 is a better all around headphone.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #19,594 of 22,116
Just a quick question rather than sifting through all the google searches I have already done.

I currently have the R1 Magni/Modi combo along with the HE-400.

I am listening to everything lossless through foobar.  Most of my listening is to Electronica such as daft punk, justice, cyberpunkers, NIN, etc. but throw in Beck, deltron 303, pink floyd, porcupine tree.

Current listening volume is about 1 - 2 oclock.  I have increased the bass slightly in the foobar EQ, but If i increase the volume or increase the bass slightly more the audio as a whole seems to degrade or get muddier (as though it is underpowered).  I talked to Schiit tech support and they stated that it was an excursion problem with the HE-400's.  Are they correct or do i just need an amp with more power such as their Lyr or Mjolnir.  If anyone one has an answer i'd love to hear thoughts.  I'm also considering getting an upgraded DAC in conjunction with this amp if necessary.  I would love opinions (and would like to stay with the Schiit company).

Thanks for the time to answer.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #19,597 of 22,116
My HE-400s arrived today, and WOW these things are awesome. Perfect after I relieved a little bit of the clamp. Sounds great listening out of my LGG3 without an amp/dac so far. Hopefully I can make my mind up on which amp/dac to get so I can see how much better these can get.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #19,598 of 22,116
The EQ thing has been beaten to death in this thread . . . do some searching and you should find many discussions and images of EQ settings.

The best bass I've gotten from these is with modded pleather pads + a parabolic boost centered at 50hz with a very wide Q. More "weight" without losing texture or the general punchiness. Modding the pleathers is simple and Jerg provided a great guide to it. The $10 velours still sound the best overall, but made a few trade offs of their own.

Using an amp with these is very worthwhile. The HE-400 do scale somewhat with more power / better DACs and I did detect a slightly faster/stronger bass from having an amp (I use an O2). But I have a hard time believing you need to spend more than about $100 to get them cranking and sounding great.

Can't agree more. HE-400 sounded a LOT better on the bass department with the O2. Balanced out what some people say peaky treble. This really affirmed that the O2 isn't a bright amp, it's just so transparent.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #19,599 of 22,116
X2 > HE-400

There was numerous pages worth of discussion on this comparison not long ago when I had both headphones at the same time. I still have the X2. So IMO the X2 is a better all around headphone.

Yeah, that mid bass hump to cover up the sub-bass absence really makes the bass seems so right.

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #19,601 of 22,116
Yeah, that mid bass hump to cover up the sub-bass absence really makes the bass seems so right.

You still crying because I didn't fall head over heels in love with your precious?

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #19,602 of 22,116
You still crying because I didn't fall head over heels in love with your precious?

Yeah, when someone doesn't like my precious I go to other HP's thread and bash it. Makes my precious so damn good.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #19,603 of 22,116
People can have preferences. I tend to think of the 400 as compromised by its very wacky FR. while the X2 may not have linear bass, it does have a more even overall sig. regardless of what is the better piece of gear, it would be nice to avoid any bashing on here. Please think before posting.

Mar 1, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #19,604 of 22,116
  People can have preferences. I tend to think of the 400 as compromised by its very wacky FR. while the X2 may not have linear bass, it does have a more even overall sig. regardless of what is the better piece of gear, it would be nice to avoid any bashing on here. Please think before posting.

Both are excellent headphones. I would own both, but then I would probably be beaten mercilessly by my wife. It is a life choice.
wink_face.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #19,605 of 22,116

Using the Audiolab 8200CD-DAC and O2, never found the treble peaky, except maybe using Optimal Spectrum (Linear Phase/Standard Filter) though I won't call it peaky, just sibilant, never found it harsh as many describes it. And you can really appreciate the bass and sub-bass here. Brings a different "aura" on the sound. I think that's what balances out the peaky treble in my gear. It's not just a bass bump, it's a bass "surround" enveloping the music. Only felt and heard this with the HE-400. LCD-2.2 has it too, but at a lesser degree. The NAD Viso HP50 has it as well, but differently, I guess it's due to the dynamic driver it uses, but the NAD is more realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back