**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 12, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #18,033 of 22,116
Hey guys, I can't wait to hop on, damp & close the cups, install a double-headband and hardwire the cable but what driver color do I want then? Is the light brown rev3 OK? I want mids dammit, thanks for your help
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #18,034 of 22,116
If you close the cups the light brown driver version being from what I remember more bright than the others it may help ??
If the tuning does not alter too much the HE 400 and still sound good It could be great to get a closed hifiman

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #18,035 of 22,116
Hey!

I just got my Hifiman yesterday and this is what I built for my Hifiman. Just want to share with you guys!

And you have room for future upgrade :atsmile:

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #18,036 of 22,116
Which EQ program are you using Canuck?

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #18,037 of 22,116
If you close the cups the light brown driver version being from what I remember more bright than the others it may help ??
If the tuning does not alter to much the HE 400 and still sound good It could be great to get a closed hifiman

OK thanks for the reply.

Will it fit large heads with its headband maxed out? I maximize the headband of most headphones such as the DT770, cd3k and so on.

And I keep reading that mids are annoyingly recessed, can you confirm? This said, I guess some cups damping could help.

This review is scary http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-400/reviews/9759
ph34r.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #18,039 of 22,116
Just got the He400 this morning and I cant seem to stop listening. I am impressed with how good they pair with the E17. I also used the Nad D1050 dac and Nu force Ha 200 amp, and although there is more detail, it is not as "fun" as the E17. I was debating between the He400 and a used senheisser Hd650, but I went with the He400 because they were more affordable. Maybe later I can buy the Hd 650, but for now I am very happy with the He400.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #18,040 of 22,116
I paired my HiFiMan HE-400 with iBasso DX100. First time I put it on, the bass sound crappy but after I burn-in for more than 24hrs and I put on again...It's amazing.
I am looking for a warmer sound so I think I will invest some money on Tube Amp to go with it. I am thinking about Aune T1 MK11. Too bad I can pair my iBasso DX100 DAP with Aune T1, can I?

I also found a guy who has 30yrs of experience custimizing audio cable and I asked him to customize a cable for my HE-400. The original 10ft long cable is just too annoying so I asked the guy to do it for 5ft.

Overall, HiFiMan HE-400 is as good as LCD-2 or it might even better than LCD-2

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #18,041 of 22,116
I paired my HiFiMan HE-400 with iBasso DX100. First time I put it on, the bass sound crappy but after I burn-in for more than 24hrs and I put on again...It's amazing.
I am looking for a warmer sound so I think I will invest some money on Tube Amp to go with it. I am thinking about Aune T1 MK11. Too bad I can pair my iBasso DX100 DAP with Aune T1, can I?

I also found a guy who has 30yrs of experience custimizing audio cable and I asked him to customize a cable for my HE-400. The original 10ft long cable is just too annoying so I asked the guy to do it for 5ft.

Overall, HiFiMan HE-400 is as good as LCD-2 or it might even better than LCD-2

yea, you should be able to pair the ibasso dap with any external dac/amp of your choice... though seems a bit redundant to me to get anything else if you already like the ibasso. you can easily EQ for a warmer sound.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #18,042 of 22,116
yea, you should be able to pair the ibasso dap with any external dac/amp of your choice... though seems a bit redundant to me to get anything else if you already like the ibasso. you can easily EQ for a warmer sound.

I can really pair the Aune T1 with my iBasso DX100? Aune T1 is a USB DAC/Amp. May I know what is "easily EQ for a warmer sound" means. sorry I am new in audiphile's world.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #18,043 of 22,116
I can really pair the Aune T1 with my iBasso DX100? Aune T1 is a USB DAC/Amp. May I know what is "easily EQ for a warmer sound" means. sorry I am new in audiphile's world.

Yes, you can pair any external equipment you want to the dx100.

http://www.ibasso.com/download/2012618101728.pdf

"The DX100 has two headphone outputs, one 1/8" (3.5mm) and one 1/4" (6.3mm). A 1/8" (3.5mm) analog lineout is also present, as are two digital outputs (Coax + Mini-toslink) for use with an external DAC. All outputs are active at the same time, so the DX100 can be used as a source for no less than 5 components at the same time." quoted from a random review on head-fi.

So by "warm," I assume you mean: "
Warm
 - Good bass, adequate low frequencies, adequate fundamentals relative to harmonics. Not thin. Also excessive bass or mid bass. Also, pleasantly spacious, with adequate reverberation at low frequencies. Also see Rich, Round. Warm highs means sweet highs." from http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

It is easy to EQ this sound signature into any pair of headphones by raising the lower frequncy bass levels or 'leveling off' lowering the treble response.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #18,044 of 22,116
But the Aune T1 input is USB Type B. How to connect let's say 6.3mm to USB type B input on Aune T1?

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #18,045 of 22,116
But the Aune T1 input is USB Type B. How to connect let's say 6.3mm to USB type B input on Aune T1?

I am not sure why you want to use your ibasso as the source if you aren't taking advantage of its internal dac. You cannot use the t1 as a portable amp/dac, so I don't see why you would want to pair it with the portable ibasso that already has a built-in dac/amp. 

Since the t1 is a nonportable desktop amp/dac combo, if you want to use the t1's dac, just use your computer as a source. note the t1 is a tube-powered dac + a solid state amp. If you are looking for the tubey sound to "pair" with your ibasso's dac, shouldn't you be looking for a stand-alone tube amp?

http://www.head-fi.org/a/ibasso-dx50-faq

"Can I use my DX50 with an external amp?
Oh yes you can! The DX50 features a crystal clear analog 3.5mm lineout straight from the WM8740 DAC chip. Adding an amp can improve detail retrieval, soundstage, and add raw power.

But the lineout is variable, is it a true lineout then?
Yes, the lineout completely bypasses the Internal amp of the DX50. It just so happens that Ibasso has implemented the volume control in the digital domain, directly on the DAC chip. This ensures a perfectly controlled 255-step volume setting with zero channel imbalance or potmeter noise - just like they did on the $830 DX100. This also means that you can control the volume of the lineout. For best results, turn it all the way up to 255 when you are using an amp. Should your amp be too powerful for use with your IEMs or sensitive headphones, feel free to lower the volume on the DX50. Congratulations, you just added 255 more gain settings to your amp!

Can I use the DX50 with an external DAC?
Oh yes you can! The DX50 features a 3.5mm digital COAX output allowing you to use an external DAC of your choice. This will allow you to digitally connect the DX50 to your home setup for use as a transport only or to use a balanced portable DAC like the Ibasso DB2 for instance."

You will probably need to find something that has coax input into usb output or just find another dac that supports coax input. However, I don't see why you would bother with all that as the dac built-into the ibasso is probably about equivalent to any amp/dac combo in the sub-$200 price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back