**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 2, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #17,521 of 22,116
Originally Posted by jodgey4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the bass to be full, pretty deep, but plasticy and ploppy in sound.

I'd go for the NAD HP50 due to spectacular performance with jazz + EDM as well as being more natural for more genres.

LOL, best negative description of 400 bass yet ?

You can pick up HP50 direct from China for buttons, but the headband 'VISO' brand is slightly off center. They are B grade but real stock on taobao via taobao agents that buy for you and ship to you.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #17,522 of 22,116
Does anyone have experience with the dt-770 250 pros and the HE-400s? I currently have the 770s and am looking for another pair of headphones. 

I enjoy the bass of the 770s so am looking for something similar as far as bass quantity and extension. If I wanted anything else from the low end it would be tightness and more impact.

Mids I'd like to be neutral. 

I like the crisp highs on the 770s but do have them EQed down ever so slightly as they can be a bit sibilant on some songs. This is the main reason I didnt get the 990s. Reviews give me the impression that they'd make me tear my ear drums out.

Are the HE-400s for me or should I continue my search?

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #17,523 of 22,116
I owned dt770 80ohm and he-400 at the same time. He-400 has less bass quantity, but better quality. They both extend really low without dips.  High's are way hotter on the he-400, to the point i find them really uncomfortable. Dt990 was unbearable for me. I dont have experience with the 250ohm dt770, but supposedly 80ohm version has rolled off treble and more bass compared to 250ohm. Not sure though, based on my readings alone. I preferred dt770/80 over he-400 for sure, part of because im a basshead and they were more to my likings for gaming and random movies when im alone. Music alone, he-400 was clearly superior in almost every way, only con i could think of was hot treble, but it got better with the jergpad mod. Still had to eq a little.

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #17,524 of 22,116
Yea from what I remember the 80s had a bit more bass quantity while the 250s had more sparkle in the highs. I actually had to EQ them a bit which is why I figured I couldn't handle the highs on the 990s.

Yea I love me some bass but I've kind of given up on it. Felt like I was chasing a pair of headphones that just don't exist.There is always some trade off whether it be a characteristic of the bass itself or something else in a different frequency range. I just get my dose of bass from my speakers now. I've toned down my expectations in the bass department, just want it to dig deep and have some impact while staying clean and tight. I don't expect anything thunderous.

I'm waiting to see reviews of the he-400s with the new hybrid pads that are on HiFi now.

How was the impact of the bass on the 400s. The 770 has good bass quantity but I feel like it lacks a bit of punch.

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #17,525 of 22,116
To my ears they were both kind of slow and wet in the lows. He-400 bass was tighter and more textured, bass was punchier on the 770's. he-400 seemed to integrate bass to the music much better, while somehow dt770 bass felt "subwoofery", like i had 2.1 system on my head. I suppose its sub bass emphasis and lack of mid bass boost on the 770 that made it feel like that. Even without mid bass hump bass felt punchier to me compared to he-400. but thats also the reason i like 770's so much, i love sub bass so much while im almost allergic to mid bass boost.

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #17,529 of 22,116
I've just replaced the velour pads with the stock pleather, and to be honest I prefer the pleather ones.
The HE400s probably dont sound as engaging as with the velour but I find their timbre more accurate. The presentation is also a bit more distant and relaxed, which I don't mind at all. Ah, they are also more comfortable! Am I the only one preferring the pleather?

I much prefer the Velours to the stock pleathers. Mostly for comfort though, the sound with the pleathers I felt was a bit warmer, with the velours a bit more clear. I can't wear the pleathers for more then 30 mins without ear sweat though, the velours I can wear for hours and hours with no issue at all.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #17,530 of 22,116
I just bought a set of HE-400s with velour and hybrid pads to try. Can't wait to get my hands on these 'phones!
atsmile.gif

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #17,532 of 22,116
Does anyone have an EQ for the 400s on foobar using the built in 20 band EQ? Using the treble reduction one posted a few pages back (or maybe even further) after deciding the few I configured all sounded weird for everything but female vocals (which was what I was trying to EQ for, but not as extensively as I did considering everything else just sounded unnatural).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back