**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #17,491 of 22,116
I was thinking about building a set of replacement cables for my HE-400s. Where do you guys buy your parts and bulk cable from?

I'm looking for something that would sound neutral to slightly on the detailed side on the top end. I haven't decided if I should do high purity copper, or silver plated. My cable would only need to be about 4 ft long. I was hoping to stay close to $100 or maybe a little more for the parts cost.

Thanks,
crazychile

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #17,492 of 22,116
It's a totally different experience from my compairison between the two with same equipment setting to the same volume. Even though the voleur pad makes the sound feel more airy, the vocal is recessed and far back for voleur.
In addition, the pleather is a lot more comfortable since in my opinion, the velour is hard and has a bad seal.

Pleather with or without the foam inserts? very important detail, in my opinion

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #17,496 of 22,116
They are if you like listening to mud.  I really don't know what to say if you prefer the stock pleathers, those spacers do a nasty to the sound.  At the end of the day if those are what sound best to you though, then that's what you should rock out with.

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #17,497 of 22,116
Have refitted the velours and have to admit I'm not hating them. Before that I removed the pleather spacers and it seemed somehow to collapse the sound or at least remove some element of dimensionality. Could be that echo effect that was mentioned but ended up putting them back in to the now removed cups, muddiness inducing or not. One thing I did notice is the rings are a small amount too big and as a result some minor creasing of them occurs in each cup to make them fit.

Anyway, will probably stick with the velour until the hybrids arrive -- I know, so fickle...

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #17,501 of 22,116
Honestly the main issue I had with pleathers were that they get hot as hell. Velours were also uncomfortable for me since the foam was hard, but I do believe I preferred the velours over the pleathers. Have been using Alpha Pads for awhile now though so don't exactly recall what the differences were.

Does anyone know whether I'd hear a huge difference connecting an amp to my current DragonFly v1.2? Like the Asgard 2 or something. Thinking of getting an amp for when I do eventually get better headphones so I can reap the benefits now in the meantime. Looking to upgrade to the 400i actually since it apparently improves on pretty much everything I wanted improved as far as I'm reading, esp. comfort and treble. Waiting for more reviews though.

On another note, I did demo the HD 650s and the main strength of that headphone compared to the HE-400 were largely its comfort and the beauuuuuutiful female vocals. Didn't like it for much else though; expected to love it considering I like more rolled off treble generally, but I was quite wrong, especially after EQing the HE-400 extensively. Granted, I did listen to it out of the DF connected to my Note 3 and the environment wasn't as quiet as it could have been (BestBuy Magnolia area). May be entirely different when amped, but I don't know because BB has yet to install a headphone amp section (though I've gotten reports from the employees that they will be doing that in some areas soon, e.g. the one I went to). Sounded weird as hell though for Eminem.

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #17,505 of 22,116

On another note, I did demo the HD 650s and the main strength of that headphone compared to the HE-400 were largely its comfort and the beauuuuuutiful female vocals. Didn't like it for much else though; expected to love it considering I like more rolled off treble generally, but I was quite wrong, especially after EQing the HE-400 extensively. Granted, I did listen to it out of the DF connected to my Note 3 and the environment wasn't as quiet as it could have been (BestBuy Magnolia area). May be entirely different when amped, but I don't know because BB has yet to install a headphone amp section (though I've gotten reports from the employees that they will be doing that in some areas soon, e.g. the one I went to). Sounded weird as hell though for Eminem.

I own both HE400 and later bought HD650 and I love them both. Not only HD650 is more comfy for long period of listening but they also sound thicker and fuller than HE400. When I listen to HE400 I tend to raise the vol to louder to get the full sounding music in my head while with HD650 I don't have to. HE400 has bigger sound stage and of course crystal clear quality which everyone loves. On both instrument separation are about equally good. Another plus for HD650 for me is they don't leak sound out as much and are able to produce bass quantity that you can hear and feel even at a noisy/ outdoor environment, almost as if they were close cans. With HE400 I have to be in a super quiet room to get the most out of it. And I like the pleather better coz it's softer on your cheek and they sound warmer and more intimate. Also, the vocals sound more natural less sibiliant.

Btw, I'm surprise you can actually get to demo headphones at Magnolia. There are three stores around where I live and they all suck! None of them work and the staff couldn't care less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back