**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 13, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #16,426 of 22,116

As an owner of the three also, I would agree with this. With the right amp the HD650 is fantastic. The HE-500 is close but still is not as smooth and forgiving as the 650.

I'd take close + excel in other genres as well for the he500 rather than excel only in one genre for hd650

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #16,428 of 22,116
no, guys. you all got it all wrong. MY favorite pair of headphones is the best pair of headphones ever!!! 
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #16,430 of 22,116

As an owner of the three also, I would agree with this. With the right amp the HD650 is fantastic. The HE-500 is close but still is not as smooth and forgiving as the 650.

See? Im not the only one. You have to own all three and spend time comparing to learn this for yourself. And regarding the types of music YES I know, thats why I preceded my statement with "for vocal, instrumental and jazzy" types of music and add to that classical and oldies as well. For EDM, metal, rock and the such I really do enjoy the HE-500's best and for rap and hip hop and very bassy dubstep the AH-D5000's are my favorite. Yes I listen to an extremely wide variety of music. I really dont think the HE-400's have a place in my collection anymore. The super harsh highs recessed mids and fatiguing overall nature of those cans make them very unpleasant for me for any longer listening periods. Pretty sure they will be up for sale soon.

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #16,431 of 22,116
Does anyone use these who has also used Sennheiser HD 25 1 ii? I am thinking of returning my 25-1 iis and getting the he400 instead. 
I dont care about comfort at all, and it seems like every sound aspect of these is better. is that true? Please help!!

also:

I listen to rock, EDM, metal, rap, almost everything besides jazz and country.

-i also am considering DT880, is that better than hd 25 1 ii for sound clarity? I want as little grainyness as possible on synth sounds etc. and everything accurate sounding. Willing to spend 300-400$ on the headphone-

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #16,432 of 22,116
  Does anyone use these who has also used Sennheiser HD 25 1 ii? I am thinking of returning my 25-1 iis and getting the he400 instead. 
I dont care about comfort at all, and it seems like every sound aspect of these is better. is that true? Please help!!

also:

I listen to rock, EDM, metal, rap, almost everything besides jazz and country.

-i also am considering DT880, is that better than hd 25 1 ii for sound clarity? I want as little grainyness as possible on synth sounds etc. and everything accurate sounding. Willing to spend 300-400$ on the headphone-

Yes, based on your musical preferences the he400 is right up your alley. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #16,438 of 22,116
They sound great with hip-hop and dubstep.

I got my Forza cables today:

The end result:

The headphones are now how I wanted them to be, with velour pads and better cables.
At 60€ shipped I'm sure these are not the cheapest, but I'm satisfied 
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #16,439 of 22,116
  Are the vocals recessed? How do they sound with rap/hiphop and dubstep? How do they compare to the Shure SRH-1540's?

About the vocals, not to me, but then again this is my only point of reference. Hip hop and dubstep are top notch.

Quote:

The headphones are now how I wanted them to be, with velour pads and better cables.
At 60€ shipped I'm sure these are not the cheapest, but I'm satisfied 
wink.gif

Actually 60€ shipped is pretty damn good in the crazy world of audiophile cables

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #16,440 of 22,116
Its cheaper than the standard hifiman cable anyway.

I would say the upper mids are recessed but it is not really a problem unless you are used to very forward upper mids, with some EQ it sounds ok.

If you want these for vocal or similar type music then you probably better off elsewhere, but for electronic, rap etc. anything with bass and treble, they are very good, as well as being decent at most stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back