**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #16,400 of 22,116
  For any of you considering the Emotiva mini-X a-100 to drive your HE-400's, I thought you might like to see this:

My finished Emotiva mini-X a-100:

You can read my DIY thread on this build here: LINK

Can we get a pic of it on with the blue LED?

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #16,401 of 22,116
  Can we get a pic of it on with the blue LED?

Coming. My Woo Audio headphone stand will be here next week and Im going to take a pic with the HE-500 on the stand on top of the amp powered on. Just have to wait till next week for it. But I figured since there is probably a huge influx of people getting their mini-X a-100 amps from the big Emotiva sale this week, I should get the thread and DIY up now.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #16,402 of 22,116

Coming. My Woo Audio headphone stand will be here next week and Im going to take a pic with the HE-500 on the stand on top of the amp powered on. Just have to wait till next week for it. But I figured since there is probably a huge influx of people getting their mini-X a-100 amps from the big Emotiva sale this week, I should get the thread and DIY up now.

Should take a pic of it with the LED before then. PLS?!?!
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #16,404 of 22,116
  I've since reworked my iTunes balanced EQ to (sorta) match the Olive-Welti target curve.  It definitely does 'lift' the HE-400 out of its laxness, in a sense-- and without adding too much tinny quality that's associated with too much 2khz (*cough* re-400 *cough*)  The only downside to this is the transition from 2-4 and then 4-8khz isn't as smooth as it could be.

Edit: btw the HE-400 aren't too resonant at all.  Have a look at Purrin's CSDs.  About the only thing they really display is a characteristic 'ortho wall' In the upper mids.

That's just about exactly the same as how I EQ mine. Sometimes I'll boost the bass up 3 or 4dB when I'm feeling my basshead side but other than that yours is pretty much spot on to what mine looks like.

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #16,407 of 22,116
  Got my velour pads today!

I remember some users have reported that bass improves, but to me though the bass isn't any different.

They did absolutely nothing to the bass to me.  The thing they did improve on was making the midrange more defined and less hollow.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #16,409 of 22,116
Some time the cable unplugged at the exact junction between the black part of the cable and the gold part of the metal connector in the cup

Should I just glue it ?
My he 400 is out of guarantee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back