**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #16,051 of 22,116
So I just had my right channel of my HE 400 cable die. I picked up a headphones to a quick buzzing noise and then my right channel cut out.
Thought it was my driver until I flipped the L and R cable around to find the right driver still working. The right channel still seems to have a faint signal coming through it if I push cable back into the splitter.

Is my cable dead for good or should I be able to repair it?
If I need to get a new cable do I go with the same or do I entertain aftermarket options?

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #16,052 of 22,116
  So I just had my right channel of my HE 400 cable die. I picked up a headphones to a quick buzzing noise and then my right channel cut out.
Thought it was my driver until I flipped the L and R cable around to find the right driver still working. The right channel still seems to have a faint signal coming through it if I push cable back into the splitter.

If I need to get a new cable do I go with the same or do I entertain aftermarket options?

AFTER MARKET

I really liked the sound of my Toxic Cable Cable 

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #16,053 of 22,116

If you're handy with a digital multimeter you can find out which end the issue is on. If it is on the non-proprietary end you could fix it up in a few minutes with a soldering iron and a new jack.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #16,054 of 22,116
Well it appears that my right channel is still connected as I get 0 resistance on it but other than that I doubt I will be able to do anything with the cable.
Also I am poor so is the stock cable the best option or is another option that is a little bit sturdier with the same price point available?

Checking my cable over the weakest part is at the splitter. I assume that is where the problem has arisen.

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #16,055 of 22,116
Heard so many great things about these cans, can't wait to get them in a few weeks.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #16,056 of 22,116
  Heard so many great things about these cans, can't wait to get them in a few weeks.

yay!!! before gettin em, you should make sure your audio drivers on your laptop is updated hahah. I ran into a problem w/ distortion that was caused by that. what kind of source files are you using? do you have an amp?

I really like my he400!!! :) heh

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #16,057 of 22,116
  yay!!! before gettin em, you should make sure your audio drivers on your laptop is updated hahah. I ran into a problem w/ distortion that was caused by that. what kind of source files are you using? do you have an amp?

I really like my he400!!! :) heh

I'm currently running some DT 990 Pro's from my desktop rig through a Fiio e07k as a dac and a Schiit Magni as my amp. Using Foobar2k with flac files, will probably use the same setup for the He-400 :D

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #16,058 of 22,116
  Well it appears that my right channel is still connected as I get 0 resistance on it but other than that I doubt I will be able to do anything with the cable.
Also I am poor so is the stock cable the best option or is another option that is a little bit sturdier with the same price point available?

Checking my cable over the weakest part is at the splitter. I assume that is where the problem has arisen.

I am working on finding a cheap solution to cable the HE-400s. So far, I've found SMCs and a 1.8th gold plated jack for $8 dollars (ebay). The rest is wire and soldering. I think you can fashion your own for about $20, but there are a lot of variables involved in the aesthetic / quality you want to hit.

Otherwise, the cheapest cables you will find are $60 from headdirect, which I do not feel is reasonable. The aftermarket seems to be even more expensive, so I am also avoiding that.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #16,059 of 22,116
The cheapest cable solution I've found is using the free cable that comes with the headphones.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #16,060 of 22,116

I am working on finding a cheap solution to cable the HE-400s. So far, I've found SMCs and a 1.8th gold plated jack for $8 dollars (ebay). The rest is wire and soldering. I think you can fashion your own for about $20, but there are a lot of variables involved in the aesthetic / quality you want to hit.

Otherwise, the cheapest cables you will find are $60 from headdirect, which I do not feel is reasonable. The aftermarket seems to be even more expensive, so I am also avoiding that.

I feel that the price of the he-4 cable is worth it. But for not too much more you can get a custom cable from Brian at BTG Audio. He makes the nicest of the less expensive custom cables that I've seen. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #16,061 of 22,116
I haven't checked, but I would not be terribly surprised if I was told that hifiman cables were some of the most expensive. I know its not on the same level, but I recently ordered a short cable for my HD598 for 20ish after shipping and handling.

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #16,063 of 22,116
I got my HE-400 and truly like them. Very clean, smooth and yet bright sound. Bass is simply astonishing. I'm using modi/vali to drive them and loving synergy that these three produces together. Unlike some other owners I don't find them uncomfortable at all. I'm using velour earpads by the way. However, I find the stock cable somewhat annoying as it is too stiff. Otherwise, everything is perfect so far. Had to break the headphone in for about 24 hours though.
Why freaking cables are so expensive? Can someone explain? While researching for a replacement cable I came across some cables that cost more than the headphone itself. This doesn't make any sense at all to me. Should I even be looking for a replacement cable?

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #16,064 of 22,116
I got my HE-400 and truly like them. Very clean, smooth and yet bright sound. Bass is simply astonishing. I'm using modi/vali to drive them and loving synergy that these three produces together. Unlike some other owners I don't find them uncomfortable at all. I'm using velour earpads by the way. However, I find the stock cable somewhat annoying as it too stiff. Otherwise, everything is perfect so far. Had to break the headphone in for about 24 hours though.
Why freaking cables are so expensive? Can someone explain? While researching for a replacement cable I came across some cables that cost more than the headphone itself. This doesn't make any sense at all to me. Should I even be looking for a replacement cable?

welcome to the audiophile marketplace... where generations of idiots spending a fortune on cables has allowed manufacturers to jack up the price to absurd levels.

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #16,065 of 22,116
I got my HE-400 and truly like them. Very clean, smooth and yet bright sound. Bass is simply astonishing. I'm using modi/vali to drive them and loving synergy that these three produces together. Unlike some other owners I don't find them uncomfortable at all. I'm using velour earpads by the way. However, I find the stock cable somewhat annoying as it too stiff. Otherwise, everything is perfect so far. Had to break the headphone in for about 24 hours though.

Two words: Profit. Margin.

Is a 'premium cable' worth it? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back