**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #16,036 of 22,116

Those look sweet. Other than the SQ improvement, my favorite thing about the grill mod is being able to see the magnets an drivers because they're so unique looking.

Spent the week at my parent's place. My mom says they look much better... almost steam punk. Not sure about the steampunk but they deffinately do look better :D. The nyl;on makes me feel better lol.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #16,038 of 22,116
So what are the trade-offs of going with a Single-Sided Planar design?

You have half the magnet, presumably half the X-Max, but way less obstructed sound leaving the diaphragm.

And as far as fatigue is concerned, I think that is one part comfort, and one part sound. The resonance or "ringing" has been a lot more problematic for me than the treble / overall frequency response. So, hopefully, they got better damping results.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #16,040 of 22,116
Does it void the warranty by modding the grill?

Not unless you throw away the original grills. Even if that happens, just contact em and buy a pair of replacement grills for pretty cheap.

HFM is VERY accommodating with regards to warranty legitimacy, heck they can even accommodate you if you are out of warranty.

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #16,041 of 22,116
  Not unless you throw away the original grills. Even if that happens, just contact em and buy a pair of replacement grills for pretty cheap.

HFM is VERY accommodating with regards to warranty legitimacy, heck they can even accommodate you if you are out of warranty.

YUP my hm801 died they sold me anotehr warrenty for $100 then replaced the Hm801 xD

also... i go tmy D2k's [finally]

and I have to say I like em over the HE 400. not as fast but... even un modded they have a touch more thump. THe HE 400 I had to eq for EDM, the D2k thus far needs no such eq

mine is atm Wood Back D7k cabled. It's going to be Mark L Modded, Alpha Padded and Balanced Recabled evetually... at which point I think it'll surpass the HE 400  imo

it's not as clear but it's... more to my tastes 

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #16,043 of 22,116

That is not true. I was only about 1-2 months out of warranty, and they wouldn't replace my cable which is slowly shedding its jacket in the L and R channels.

They would "accommodate me" by letting me blow $100 bucks on a new cable. Ya, right.

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #16,044 of 22,116

That is not true. I was only about 1-2 months out of warranty, and they wouldn't replace my cable which is slowly shedding its jacket in the L and R channels.

They would "accommodate me" by letting me blow $100 bucks on a new cable. Ya, right.

I emailed them a few weeks ago about cables and they quoted me $70 for the HE-4 cable and $60 for the HE400 (plus shipping).
I am out of warranty also but my cable is still OK. I was thinking of getting the HE-4 cable at one stage.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #16,045 of 22,116
Forgive me if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but do the he 400s really require the recommended 150 hours of burnin. It seems excessive to me, does the sound change much?

My he 400s arrived earlier today, but THE CABLE WAS DEFECTIVE. the right connector of the cable was broken, so I will have to wait till it gets replaced to finally listen to them, it's hurting me having them next to me but not being able to listen to them.

What happened to your toe :c

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #16,046 of 22,116
These HPs really expose some of the harsh digital production in music.   For example, I was listening to some Bjork and some of her songs (ex. the last section of 'Undo') are ruined by these awful digital effects sound like it was horribly mixed and with really lousy synthesizers and tons of digital artifacts.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #16,047 of 22,116
These HPs really expose some of the harsh digital production in music.   For example, I was listening to some Bjork and some of her songs (ex. the last section of 'Undo') are ruined by these awful digital effects sound like it was horribly mixed and with really lousy synthesizers and tons of digital artifacts.

Are you sure it's not due to horrible encoding vs mastering? I'd be way more inclined to believe that mixed with the fact that the HE-400 has some god awfully wild treble.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #16,048 of 22,116
Are you sure it's not due to horrible encoding vs mastering? I'd be way more inclined to believe that mixed with the fact that the HE-400 has some god awfully wild treble.

Probably both. The treble and instrument separation makes some of the electronic details sound like static/digital artifacts, whereas they don't sound as bad on something with a more smoothed out treble. Some of the songs still sound bad no matter what headphones you use.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #16,049 of 22,116

I emailed them a few weeks ago about cables and they quoted me $70 for the HE-4 cable and $60 for the HE400 (plus shipping).
I am out of warranty also but my cable is still OK. I was thinking of getting the HE-4 cable at one stage.

Can you provide a link to the he-4 cable?

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #16,050 of 22,116

Can you provide a link to the he-4 cable?

Its not listed on head-direct not that I could find anyway, I only see the HE400 cable, that's why I emailed them about it. This is what they said...

Dear Sir,
Sorry for the late response.
Yes, we do have the cable for HE-4. The price is $70. Shipping cost depends on where you live.
If we can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact us.
Best regards,
HIFIMAN Customer Service Team
Your friends at Head-Direct (The HiFiMAN store)

Very good price I think however with the new models coming out, I'll wait to see what cables come with those.

Aussies might be glad to know that addictedtoaudio.com.au are hoping to start selling Hifiman stuff soon, they also have Audeze. So I will be able to compare them all and get the one I like, will make things a hell of a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back