**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #16,066 of 22,116
Why freaking cables are so expensive? Can someone explain? While researching for a replacement cable I came across some cables that cost more than the headphone itself. This doesn't make any sense at all to me. Should I even be looking for a replacement cable?

BTG Audio's budget cables are a little cheaper than the Hifiman stock cables from Head-direct. I haven't heard them, but they are attractive and BTG is generally well-regarded around here. 

As for the really expensive cables, there just is no rational explanation. Leave it at that and never buy one 
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #16,067 of 22,116

BTG Audio's budget cables are a little cheaper than the Hifiman stock cables from Head-direct. I haven't heard them, but they are attractive and BTG is generally well-regarded around here. 

As for the really expensive cables, there just is no rational explanation. Leave it at that and never buy one 
tongue.gif

Cool! I will definitely check BTG cables out. Thank you!

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #16,068 of 22,116

welcome to the audiophile marketplace... where generations of idiots spending a fortune on cables has allowed manufacturers to jack up the price to absurd levels.

I've been building high-end audio cables for a couple companies for almost 20 years and in my opinion the markup that you see on most audiophile cables is ridiculous. I do understand that precious metals are getting very expensive and advertising costs money yet I personally feel that beyond a certain point you'll find that you'll be trying to convince yourself that you're hearing a difference...BUT is that "difference" if you even hear one,  an improvement in sound quality? 

Opinions vary on what makes for good cable design, I find myself buying more into the design concepts behind the AudioQuest brand of cables (I do not work for AudioQuest) and other brands that use high quality, solid-core wire, a good dielectric and connectors. These need not cost a small fortune and though silver is a better conductor than cooper I personally wouldn't be willing to pay the prices that most companies charge for solid-core pure silver cables. Many people will and I say more power to you! 

I think that a lot of us that do spend more than the norm on cables do so if for no other reason than it allows us the peace of mind of knowing that at least our cables "shouldn't be" holding our gear back from sounding its best. I like that AudioQuest will tell you right up front that their goal is to do as little damage to the signal as possible...that no cable at all will always sound better than the best cable you can buy. In other words use as short a run as possible, and the goal should never be for your new cable to add to the sound of your gear...you want it to get out of the way and allow the signal to travel from component to component as cleanly as possible. 

Best of luck with your search for a replacement HE-400 cable, I have no problem with the Canare cable that comes with it other than I wish it were "a bit" more flexible and that it attached at an angle rather than straight in at the bottom of the earcup. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #16,069 of 22,116
I think that a lot of us that do spend more than the norm on cables do so if for no other reason than it allows us the peace of mind of knowing that at least our cables "shouldn't be" holding our gear back from sounding its best. 

Great post. Makes lots of sense. Although, in my case I'm looking for a replacement cable not because I'm trying to squeeze the highest possible SQ out of my cans. Like I said I find the stock cable is being too stiff, so I'd like to use a cable that is more flexible. I guess I'll keep looking and perhaps I get lucky :wink:
By the way, has anyone tried one of these Chinese cables?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111160922481?var=410210133749

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #16,071 of 22,116
  Great post. Makes lots of sense. Although, in my case I'm looking for a replacement cable not because I'm trying to squeeze the highest possible SQ out of my cans. Like I said I find the stock cable is being too stiff, so I'd like to use a cable that is more flexible. I guess I'll keep looking and perhaps I get lucky :wink:
By the way, has anyone tried one of these Chinese cables?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111160922481?var=410210133749

I understand that your looking for a more flexible replacement cable for your HE-400's which makes sense, if you find one that you like please post it here once you've tried it out, and I may give it a shot as well.

I don't find the Canare cable that comes with the 400 bad per say (I've had no problems with it), but more flexibility would be nice. The question was asked why are cables so expensive and I was simply adding my 2 cents. I'd love to see either Blue Jean Cables or Pangea Audio (with their 
single-crystal Pure Copper by Ohno Continuous Casting Conductors) aren't making any replacement cables for these headphones. I've had nice results with both companies products, and they've all been very reasonably priced. 

Good luck!

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #16,072 of 22,116
  These fit just slightly too low on my head.  Which headband fits better?  The 6 button generic headband or the 4 button beyer headband?  

from my experience I couldn't get the 6 button generic headband to really fit over the HE400 headband. I've heard of people making it work, but I would imagine it would really squish on the headband. i personally didn't wanna do that to the headband.

edit: never tried the 4 button headband, so i dunno how well that fits.

edit2: i think the best headband mod for that would be the velcro + the HD650 replacement headband. there is a thread about how to do it.

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #16,073 of 22,116
I want to change the cable as well. It's still as new but it really bothers me. What bothers me most is that it's heavy and I constantly find myself moving it around as I feel it pulling down the headphones.
I've checked the BTG Audio webstore but I'm not sure what I should choose. Which cable do you guys recommend?

Also I need a decent DAC/amp combo. At the moment I'm driving them with my receiver but I feel the headphones aren't reaching their full potential.
What can you guys recommend me? I'm looking for something in the 200-300$ price range, possibly with blue lights (to match my room) and hardware bass boost functionality (I also find myself boosting the bass sometimes).

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #16,074 of 22,116
I want to change the cable as well. It's still as new but it really bothers me. What bothers me most is that it's heavy and I constantly find myself moving it around as I feel it pulling down the headphones.
I've checked the BTG Audio webstore but I'm not sure what I should choose. Which cable do you guys recommend?

Also I need a decent DAC/amp combo. At the moment I'm driving them with my receiver but I feel the headphones aren't reaching their full potential.
What can you guys recommend me? I'm looking for something in the 200-300$ price range, possibly with blue lights (to match my room) and hardware bass boost functionality (I also find myself boosting the bass sometimes).

Blue lights? Just by saying that you're going to get the Emotiva as a recommendation...
Though, you'd prob have to get resistors for it as it is pretty powerful

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #16,076 of 22,116
Use EQ to boost bass instead of hardware -- you will have much more control.

The Emotiva does have blue lights and you will definitely want to use resistors. I can't think of much else that has blue lights.

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #16,078 of 22,116
Jan 19, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #16,080 of 22,116
  Additional resistors? I don't have the knowledge for this kind of mods :frowning2:
I wouldn't know how to choose and connect them.

The Emotiva is a speaker amp. To use it with headphones, you will need to get an adapter cable which can be purchased from a number of places including BTG Audio. Resistors aren't as scary as they sound -- just get one of these: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-ER4P-to-ER4S-6-35-to-3-5mm-resistor-adaptor/281224427556?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D19839%26meid%3D4140801177868411936%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D8934%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D290372905689%26

I'd suggest the 100 ohm version. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back