**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 15, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #16,006 of 22,116
I don't really know how to phrase this question, but I'll do my best. How do headphones produce sounds that sound up (above the head) and down (below the head) and all the spaces in between? I know how they make sounds appear left and right, but I swear I hear some sounds above and below others.

What you are referring to is soundstage. The why, is because with accurate sound representation we can trick our brains in to a false perception. The how, is why some engineer is getting paid big bucks to design headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/590377/what-is-soundstage/15

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #16,007 of 22,116
  Real talk:

Unless you reaaally like the sound signature of the HE-400, your money is best spent in getting a new headphone if you're looking fora chunk in sound quality increase.

I second that. DON'T Start buying crazy expensive Amps/DACs looking for a big change in SQ, you won't find it. A better way to start tweaking the HE-400 is with the easy recommended Mods, well documented with step-by-step guides. OR, search this thread for EQ ideas. The HE-400 will response to both. AMPs/DACs are really about two things: features and power. Get the features you want, and the power you "need". Any SQ benefits comparing amp to amp are usually too slight to base a decision on (unless there is a problem, or serious difference in specifications). You have more than enough power for the HE-400 already, and a great DAC. If you are getting the amp itch, try reverting back to powering the HE's with a Mp3 player, Phone, or basic computer. Then plug in the Schiit again. I am sure that will help.
wink_face.gif

I thought the treble was the upper mids. When I set my EQ like this, the 400's sound incredible.

Taker - What is your source and amp? I honestly assume that you are either pulling everyone's leg, or you have a system with severe treble roll-off. Then again I don't have a lot of content that really REACHES well into the upper reaches, so the impact of that EQ profile is probably slim. Why don't you also Boost 5-20 hz about 10 dB and try them out?
L3000.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #16,008 of 22,116

I'll disagree with Raven on this one. I hear a good bit of difference going from the magni to the A2. In simple terms the magni has a harsh leading edge to upper range that I didn't like. While the A2 is also a clean mostly neutral amp, there is no harshness and there is wonderful rendering of music that never sounds strained...just refined, effortless. There is linage borrowed from the mojo for the A2 for sure. 

But at the same time it's not as if the Asgard2 will magically take away the harshness in the mid-upper treble of the HE-400.  The HE-400 still sounds like the HE-400 out of both amps.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #16,009 of 22,116
I've found that a better amp (or one that mates better with a certain headphone) and DAC will certainly improve the sound of the HE-400's and most over better headphones. For instance, I find that the HE-400's and HE-500's for that matter sound great with the Schiit Audio Lyr. It's my opinion that gear is getting so good that it doesn't take long (or much money) until you start reaching the point of diminishing returns. You'll probably find that a $1000 DAC or amp doesn't always sound twice as good as the right $500 DAC or amp. I've never heard the Asgard 2 with either the 400's or 500's, but I have no doubt that its a very well designed solid state amp and would probably sound great with either headphone plus it can be used as a single source preamp as well. If you own the HE-400's and are considering the Lyr you should give it a try and if you're not pleased with it you have the option of returning it. When driven by the Lyr I'm not getting the brightness in the treble that some have had an issue with, plus the Lyr made my K701's sound fuller and more dynamic than I've heard them sound via other amps that I have on hand. Of course, your mileage my vary. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #16,011 of 22,116
wouldn't say the treble is horribly flawed.  you bought a headphone that was engineered to have a more forward treble.  I think the treble sounds fine.  just too much of it for my taste. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #16,012 of 22,116
So I just sold my HE-400 this week to an owner that is going to appreciate them more than I have. He brought up a question that I wasn't able to answer on them, but I'm positive it should be easy to figure out since I'm sure everyone wrestles with it. Like practically all HE-400s, the L and R designations rubbed off on the copy I sold. I forgot about it and didn't clearly mark which was which when I took the cables off to put everything back in the packaging. Is there a way to determine which is the right and left sides of the can after the designations have worn off? Does it not matter what side is what as long as the cable orientation is correct?

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #16,013 of 22,116
Cable orientation doesn't really matter.  The pads are completely round so it's not like there's a right and wrong way to put the HE-400 on.  Best way would be to get a recording you really know that has key features in either the right or left channel, then mark the cups accordingly.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #16,014 of 22,116
Right on. That's the answer I gave him. Just wanted to get validation though this thread. Hopefully he's reading. If not, I'll point him this way.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #16,015 of 22,116
Listening to a song where you can tell the difference between left and right works, but you need some kind of marking so you can remember which side is which next time you put them on. I marked mine with "L" and "R" in sharpie on the inside of the metal piece that fits into the gimbals. It's barely noticeable. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #16,016 of 22,116

But at the same time it's not as if the Asgard2 will magically take away the harshness in the mid-upper treble of the HE-400.  The HE-400 still sounds like the HE-400 out of both amps.

Agreed. But I plan to appreciate the Asgard 2 much more with the 400i. 
biggrin.gif
  Or possibly the 560. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #16,017 of 22,116

Agreed. But I plan to appreciate the Asgard 2 much more with the 400i. 
biggrin.gif
  Or possibly the 560. 

Yea I wouldnt expect too much from those, I spent a good half hour with them at CES a few days ago and while I loved how much more comfortable they were (even though the creator who was there told me that headband wasnt staying as these were still protoypes, but he said the weight would stay the same) they certainly didnt sound worth more money to upgrade from the HE-400 or HE-500 that I have right now.

Couple pics:

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #16,019 of 22,116
  I spent a good half hour with them at CES a few days ago and while I loved how much more comfortable they were (even though the creator who was there told me that headband wasnt staying as these were still protoypes, but he said the weight would stay the same)

I wonder what he meant by saying the headband wasn't staying. It looks like a major contributor to making these new versions ones that you want to actually keep on your head.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #16,020 of 22,116

I wonder what he meant by saying the headband wasn't staying. It looks like a major contributor to making these new versions ones that you want to actually keep on your head.

I agree, I don't know why they'd change them unless its to add more cushioning or something like that. I think they look great, much more pleasing to the eye than the original versions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back