**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 14, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #15,976 of 22,116
funny you mentioned noise gates as it has been used in producing for a long time and sometimes i swear there are producers that don't know what it is. Been an issue of mine for a while

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #15,978 of 22,116
Well, for the first time ever, I decided to listen to a tv show through headphones as supposed to the soundbar I've been using for years... It is a bit shocking just how much doing this brings the background music forward. I'm really quite impressed, and at the same time it just feels so strange! The only comparison I can make to a similar experience would be the first time wearing glasses 10 or so years ago, which was the first time my poor depth perception has been corrected, so everything just felt so much more real than before.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #15,979 of 22,116
  Any folk/rock/etc (i.e. not rap/metal) songs that show off these guys?

Virtually anything by Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree. I also really enjoyed Jack White's album. Lord Huron. Susan Tedeschi. The Black Crowes Croweolegy is an excellent recording if you like the band. The Lumineers. I actually really like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs on these phones - particularly the newer albums.

But lately I've been on Pandora and just can't tell you what I'm listening to - a lot of it is just weird. Meaning, I am weird.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #15,980 of 22,116
  A bit OT...
Oh and some of you were asking about headphone tracks, heres another..."Lenny" by SRV.  Some of that hum and background buzz you hear on this tune (as well as Little Wing) is the hum of his guitar amps, and its in the recording.  IMHO its one of the characteristics of SRV and I think adds to the charm of his music.  he didn't use noise gates or anything like that in either his signal chain or studio processing... just pure tones, AC buzz and all.  It wouldn't surprise me if the reverberation in this track is the natural room acoustics and not post-processing effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLTcxM6XoMA

Conversely... someone was mentioning distortions and poorly recorded tracks.  Heres my personal worst offender, from one of my favorite bands sadly.  You can hear it in the intro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kJWkmtjoX4

I don't really hear distortion with Rush - I mean, it sounds intentional. But I didn't really like the effect, either.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #15,982 of 22,116
I can't say for the vali, but from going from Magni to Asgard2 there isn't much improvement.  With the Uber Bifrost feeding the Asgard2 there's a more noticeable improvement, but it's not like the HE-400s become transformed.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #15,983 of 22,116
  I can't say for the vali, but from going from Magni to Asgard2 there isn't much improvement.  With the Uber Bifrost feeding the Asgard2 there's a more noticeable improvement, but it's not like the HE-400s become transformed.

so you think going from the Modi to the Bifrost (with Uber) would be a bigger improvement than going from a Magni to something like the Asgard2?

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #15,985 of 22,116
and you think the Magni won't be good enough to scale with the Bifrost?

if so then in order to get a decent upgrade in the SQ of the Headphones i will need a new amp and DAC, and you say the the HE-400 doesn't scale too much with better equipment so it would probably be somewhat pointless to invest another chunk of money in a new amp and DAC without going to a higher end headphone.

is that about right?  

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #15,986 of 22,116
Real talk:

Unless you reaaally like the sound signature of the HE-400, your money is best spent in getting a new headphone if you're looking fora chunk in sound quality increase.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #15,987 of 22,116
  and you think the Magni won't be good enough to scale with the Bifrost?

if so then in order to get a decent upgrade in the SQ of the Headphones i will need a new amp and DAC, and you say the the HE-400 doesn't scale too much with better equipment so it would probably be somewhat pointless to invest another chunk of money in a new amp and DAC without going to a higher end headphone.

is that about right?  

Its the law of diminishing returns. To get great sound you generally need all three pieces of the puzzle. Each improvement gets smaller when you upgrade.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #15,988 of 22,116
  Real talk:

Unless you reaaally like the sound signature of the HE-400, your money is best spent in getting a new headphone if you're looking fora chunk in sound quality increase.

Real talk is good thanks. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #15,990 of 22,116
  Its the law of diminishing returns. To get great sound you generally need all three pieces of the puzzle. Each improvement gets smaller when you upgrade.

yea, you'll get most sound quality improvement upgrading headphones. then dac/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back