**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #15,947 of 22,116
  Hey you're welcome!!  You're talking about Little Wing right?  Short answer, Nope.  Long answer,  Hendrix wrote that song, Stevie Ray put his signature flair on it the way ONLY he can.  There's simply NO WAY to out-do that... I don't think.  You might want to look into Steve Morse, You tube him... he might have a tune or two in his library that come close.

Anyways, thanks for the warm re-welcome.  I'm still an avid headphone music listener.  I'm just more of a HF lurker now than before.  Fast forward today, I'm itching to try an HE-400 in my setup and am looking for user impressions with output transformer coupled tube amps.  Like the Mad Ear+ for example.

OT i know, but Little Wing deserves out attention. There are sooooo so many good covers of that song. Only one genius wrote it.

One my all time regrets is not seeing him live. I had the chance but left Woodstock before he came on :frowning2:  My friend's brother who drove had to be at work Monday morning. If I only knew then......I would have stayed and hitched (or flew:) home.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #15,949 of 22,116
Great job on these; I remember when I first did it I just used a pair of wiresnips, the edges are deadly sharp even to this day. The good thing is the tolerances for how even the edges are is fairly lax.

Thanks, the sanding with the belt sander smoothed them out and gave us an almost perfect match to the original. We had to flatten the cardinal directions slightly because our mesh is thicker than stock, which allowed us room for the snaps to reach the cups.

It could be that the HE-400 is picking up crackling in the songs that you just can't hear on other speakers or headphones, but this is only a guess.

I've noticed this when comparing to dt800s and hd650s. I'm not sure if it is unique to these cans or generalized to all planars. Maybe mastering engineers need to start testing their tracks on planars.

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #15,951 of 22,116
I'd probably start at halfway, and then adjust the Magni volume to what you want to hear. The headphone jack in the idevice might not work as well at low or high volumes. Somewhere in the middle is usually the sweet spot for most amps. But I think it's worth experimenting with different volumes on the idevice, like 20-30% or 70-80%.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #15,954 of 22,116
Okay, so I just pulled up SVR Little Wing...cranked the volume a bit...sha-bam!! 
eek.gif
  Do yourself a favor and go listen to this one. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #15,955 of 22,116
It could be that the HE-400 is picking up crackling in the songs that you just can't hear on other speakers or headphones, but this is only a guess.

Could very well be that. These cans seem to be extremely susceptible to any bit of crackle in the recording. Several tracks I thought something was seriously wrong with them until I realized it was just the recording as my HD25s did the same thing at the same points. I did have to jack the volume up on the 25s to a highly uncomfortable (i.e. unbearable) level to hear 1/10 of the crackle these guys pick up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #15,956 of 22,116
Could very well be that. These cans seem to be extremely susceptible to any bit of crackle in the recording. Several tracks I thought something was seriously wrong with them until I realized it was just the recording as my HD25s did the same thing at the same points. I did have to jack the volume up on the 25s to a highly uncomfortable (i.e. unbearable) level to hear 1/10 of the crackle these guys pick up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That typically indicates that the recording is in fact clipped and there is no cure for it. Sadly, happens to a lot of recordings these days due to an apparent hatred of dynamic range and a quest to be the loudest!

Then again, a friend proposed a different problem - great bands skimping on production costs and either doing it themselves or paying less and getting a crappy recording.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #15,957 of 22,116
  Okay, so I just pulled up SVR Little Wing...cranked the volume a bit...sha-bam!! 
eek.gif
  Do yourself a favor and go listen to this one. 

Stevie Ray is glorious on my HE-500. Listening to Rude Mood right now thanks to you
cool.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #15,958 of 22,116
  Nicely done. Makes me want to attempt this. Don't have my cans around though, did you happen to measure the size of the grill?
Thanks!

The stock grill is right about 86mm. My grill was pretty dang close to that. We just traced the grills on cardboard, cut them out, and used that as a guide. I made my cuts a little big to give me some room to sand them down and smooth out the sharp edges.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #15,959 of 22,116
I know it's off topic, but why is it that I have to use treble boost on my EQ to get my HE 400's to sound incredible? With that setting they sound like my Senn. HD598's with much better bass. I'm using a Sound Blaster Titanium HD > Fiio E09K on low gain setup. Any thoughts? I use Winyl, it's a good ASIO player. I forgot to mention, I use the velour pads.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #15,960 of 22,116
I know it's off topic, but why is it that I have to use treble boost on my EQ to get my HE 400's to sound incredible? With that setting they sound like my Senn. HD598's with much better bass. I'm using a Sound Blaster Titanium HD > Fiio E09K on low gain setup. Any thoughts? I use Winyl, it's a good ASIO player.

Are you using the stock pleather pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back