**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #15,063 of 22,116
Actually, I was thinking of re-adding the spacer ring to the Pleathers, since it makes the ergonomics of removing / installing the pads easier. Also, I think having distance from the drivers is a good thing. The trick would be to thin it out so that it does not block the holes excessively, yet still can provide support and be installed / removed easily.

I find it odd that the holes work at all since they are scattered around the edges of the driver and face directly at the plastic ring mostly, which is not directly in front of the driver at all. I suppose the foam of the pleathers are a big reason they seem a bit warmer than the velours.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #15,064 of 22,116
  Actually, I was thinking of re-adding the spacer ring to the Pleathers, since it makes the ergonomics of removing / installing the pads easier. Also, I think having distance from the drivers is a good thing. The trick would be to thin it out so that it does not block the holes excessively, yet still can provide support and be installed / removed easily.

I find it odd that the holes work at all since they are scattered around the edges of the driver and face directly at the plastic ring mostly, which is not directly in front of the driver at all. I suppose the foam of the pleathers are a big reason they seem a bit warmer than the velours.

I think it is the ringing and 2nd 3rd 4th harmonics etc. eg. stuff bouncing off the pads which should not be there, so the holes absorb some of it eg. damping. If you put the foam back you would need to cut loads of holes in it otherwise there was no point in modding the pads.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #15,066 of 22,116
The right grill seems to be a bit loose for me.
When I tap gently on the blue part of the cup I hear a ringing sound.
The left side is just dull with no ringing at all when I tap it.

Has anyone experienced this, or even have a solution?
I tried putting small bits of plastic under the ring which holds the grill but it only results in a minor improvement.
I can't say if this actually has any impact during listening, but still it bothers me.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #15,067 of 22,116
My Hifiman HE-400 arrived over the weekend and I finally got to test them out last night. The first thing that amazed me right out of the box was how great they sounded on my brother's Android. It gave a really clean detailed sound with treble that was just right and enough bass to keep the sound balanced but not at skull destroying bass lover's level.

Once I got home I hooked them up to my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo reciever and got a very warm sound with plenty of bass compared to the treble presence on the Android. The funny thing is i was still getting plenty of detail in the treble without the sparkle. I could hear musical notes fading out to the very last tone something that is usually only noticeable for me with my treble strong Audio Technica ATH AD700 and Ultrasone HFI-780. Listening to Mentallo And The Fixer's LIGHT YEAR there was plenty of thumping bass while bringing out detailed vocals with a warm signature. The Hifiman HE-400 sound spectacular with electronic and 1990s industrial music such as Meat Beat Manifesto, Cobalt 60, Front 242, Individual Totem, Nine Inch Nails etc. They also were great listening to Barenaked Ladies singing ALCOHOL.

Switching to the Realtek on board sound of my pc motherboard the bass was non-existent but the treble was very detailed and bright yet comfortable at least for a treble head for me. Its interesting how different the Hifiman HE-400 sounds depending on the source. On the Android and Realtek motherboard there was no need to turn up the volume. With the Onkyo turning up the volume definitely brought out all the audio meat flushing it into my ears with bass and detailed warmness. This might just be a matter of burn in since its still under twenty four hours of use out of the recommended 150 hours :D

These are the first headphones I have seen that leak so much sound. When my brother was giving them a listen I could clearly hear everything being played. I was like wow those leak big time. Thank goodness am using these in a private setting with no roommates.

Comfort is excellent and am able to immerse myself completely into what am listening to while relaxing on the pc. Build quality is top notch and blue being my favorite color just makes things even more cool as I remind myself how fortunate I am to have on my head the Hifiman HE-400 and to have gotten them at a discount during the Amazon holiday sale. Definitely stirs up a sense of appreciation and to keep the volume down when am using my speakers :D

Delivery time was great arriving under a week.

Have yet to try them out with any games which along with music and movies will be my main use. Will be interesting to see what FALLOUT 3 and SKYRIM are like with them. I did play briefly the early access version of GRIM DAWN and there was plenty of detail in the environment with a warm sound. Also vocals were more noticeable which were not on my other headphones. This was before learning that turning up the volume on my Onkyo will give me an even fuller sound.

Thanks to all at Head-Fi.org for which I would have never heard of the Hifiman HE-400 or had any idea of what they were like. And of course thanks to my brother who ordered them for me through Amazon :)

Happy holidays everybody! :D

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #15,069 of 22,116
  Does anybody know where, if at all possible, I can BUY Jergpads? I'm not good with my fingers and will invariably blotch up a DIY. Thanks.

Well modulor isn't taking orders currently so your best bet would be to look out in the For Sale section for a pair. I'm actually waiting on my pair from Modulor but I already have my own which I made months ago when jergpads first burst onto the scene. Maybe I could sell my pair when the Modulor's arrive. Check out my sig for pics.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #15,071 of 22,116
Is there a guide for removing / putting on new pads on the HE-400? My velour pads are coming today and I'm kinda scared to take off the stock pads.

You don't need a convoluted guide to do it. Here's the gist:

The earpads consist of the soft component (the physical earpads themselves) and the hard mounting piece (plastic mounting ring trapped inside the base of the earpads). There are four plastic tabs (situated 90 degrees from one-another) on the plastic mounting ring of the earpads that wedge into this circular slot on the baffle sides of the drivers.

If you carefully yank the earpads and look into the space between the base of the pads and the cup, you will spot where those four tabs are.

Basically just use a credit card and push inward to pop one of those four tabs out, and then the other three will come out easily. That's all that's holding the earpads onto the headphones.

Do the inverse to put the pads on, just wedge in two of the four tabs (zero trouble, takes half a second and no tools needed), and then use a credit card to "pop in" the two remaining tabs.

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #15,072 of 22,116
^^^^ What he said. But I can get the pads reinstalled without a credit card. Just get the first two in there, and then gently bend/push the ring until you hear or feel the last two tabs go in. I also spin the pad gently to verify that all tabs are locked in place - once you get the third one in they can look done. Just hold the pad firmly when you do it, the plastic has so far proven to be pretty flexible and strong.

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #15,073 of 22,116
Ok just got my velours on.  Yeah they definitely sound different now.  More awake?  I'd say more similar to the DT 990's.  I didn't need a credit card but it did take a good 10 minutes to figure how how to correctly bend the plastic to get the last two tabs in.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #15,075 of 22,116
GoSh~, i ordered the HE400 from head-direct. Received them yesterday.
To my horror one side of it does not play any sound!
WHAT IS WRONG with them!? I had expect better quality control~!
Not trying to bust CHINA Product but come ON,! i had expect better for the price paid. Geeez~!
My brother was cursing why buy china branded product when u can get sennheiser/denon Zzzz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back