**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #14,656 of 22,116
Nov 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #14,657 of 22,116
  Too late man! I'm addicted now.

Welcome to the group!   Glad to see you don´t regret it 
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #14,658 of 22,116

Thanks catspaw :)

You are welcome. If you use those pads, read well the info posted by the guy in the link on how to install them. The pads are actually slightly smaller than the plastic ring that is used on the HE-400 so you will need to use something like a hair dryer to heat up the rubber of the pads so taht they can extend easier and get over the plastic ring. At first it seems like the rubber might be too stiff and will not fit well on the ring, but with the hair dryer it becomes quite simple.

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #14,659 of 22,116
That's a great deal on the HE-400's ($299!), if you have an amp with the juice to bring the best out of them they're a terrific and extremely enjoyable headphone. The Schiit Audio Lyr works fantastic with the HE-400's...the key is to try your best to stop thinking about the gear (which I know isn't easy) and just enjoy your music.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #14,664 of 22,116

Started thinking the same. Did you try this or anything in that direction with noticeable result?

The stock grey pads?

Have not tried putting foam over them because I like the clarity they have, but it might work, Beyerdynamic have foam on their headphones and I did it on some Denon's with decent results so it is worth trying. Currently I have banned myself from spending any more money on headphones at the moment, but I may give it a try at some point.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #14,666 of 22,116

Have not tried putting foam over them because I like the clarity they have, but it might work, Beyerdynamic have foam on their headphones and I did it on some Denon's with decent results so it is worth trying. Currently I have banned myself from spending any more money on headphones at the moment, but I may give it a try at some point.

2,000-plus posts in and he still thinks he has willpower. 
k701smile.gif

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #14,667 of 22,116
I can see ergonomics being a reason to switch cable for the HE-400 (and no I don't hear differences in sound with different cables). The stock one is very bulky. It's still on my "to do list" to make my own so I get optimal length, the connectors proved to be hard to find over here though despite them supposed to be some generic version of a hf coax connector. Overall I don't get their design choice regarding the cable and the coaxial connectors, they're quite terrible. Something like a mini XLR on one side and traces in the headband over to the other side would be much better.

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #14,668 of 22,116
hello to all...

I have owned the  He 400 for some months.... I was annoyed by the tizz in the highs..... Without equalizing i have discover a marvellous solution .... The ocean Bravo has great synergy for taming the high of the he 400...... And i discover a dac the hifimediy asynchronus usb portable dac and with it the taming of the "tizz" in the high are completed.... very good sound for 120 dollars for the bravo ocean and 60 dollars for the dac.....I think that if you have not enough money the choice of a good dac for a few bucks is possible.....Its better to invest in the headphone and the amp......thanks for your time 

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #14,670 of 22,116

Users who are viewing this thread

Back