**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #14,673 of 22,116
  I don't like the stock cable - "V" is way too long, and cable is itself way too long. Also, mine is starting to tear near the L cup terminal. But I will wait to replace the cable when and if it actually fails.

Mine started breaking up at both connectors after a month or two. I wish someone had warned me to not twist them too much, but really, those connectors are a bit ridiculous.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #14,674 of 22,116
Will HifiMan send out a replacement cable if the original cable is under warranty?

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #14,675 of 22,116
Yes, have heard stories from people who bought them directly that hifiman sent them a cable as soon as they got the email and just told them to send the old cable in. When my cable broke I sent an email and they asked me to ship a cable to them and then once they got it they shipped a brand new cable. My he-400 is second hand but original owner sent me a copy of his invoice. Just send them a copy of your invoice to show proof of purchase and give them you're info.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Dec 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #14,676 of 22,116

Mine started breaking up at both connectors after a month or two. I wish someone had warned me to not twist them too much, but really, those connectors are a bit ridiculous.

Hmm . . . The only cable that I need to re-tighten is usually the one I put into the L Channel. It seems designed for finger-tightening, but I could, with a small enough wrench, possibly tighten the nut without allowing the cable to twist.

But seriously, why didn't Fang just use a dang 3.5mm plug one ONE side?

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #14,677 of 22,116
I'm not a fan of the stock Hifiman connectors, but a 3.5mm or mini XLR on just one side would require the headphones to be disassembled and internally rewired for balanced operation. Not just a matter of buying a new cable, as there are only 3 conductors in a 3.5mm or mini XLR and you need 4 for balanced. Mini XLRs on both sides would be nice though. Or anything that locks instead of screwing on. 

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #14,678 of 22,116
  Hmm . . . The only cable that I need to re-tighten is usually the one I put into the L Channel. It seems designed for finger-tightening, but I could, with a small enough wrench, possibly tighten the nut without allowing the cable to twist.

But seriously, why didn't Fang just use a dang 3.5mm plug one ONE side?

I would say that he opted for this configuration because it allows you to more easily go to a balanced. I would have GREATLY preferred mini xlr though. 

I did go to adapters so that I could use my mini xlr cable for hifiman's hps. 

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #14,679 of 22,116
Hm, i see other people are having problems with the cable as well. My L connector is dropping too, but only in certain positions. I'm thinking of either just buying a new cable or trying to send mine in, though i don't know how long the warranty is when you get it from headamp. 

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #14,683 of 22,116
  Have not tried putting foam over them because I like the clarity they have, but it might work, Beyerdynamic have foam on their headphones and I did it on some Denon's with decent results so it is worth trying.

From my brief listening I've found that their clarity CAN work really well for certain music. Even without EQ. Anyhoo, in search of brightness tackle I've ordered a set of Sennheiser foams. They're about 7.5cm and should about cover the driver leaving enough room to still attach the rings. In theory.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back