**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 2, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #14,702 of 22,116
Well, mine are about to hit the one year mark (10 days from now). Now you guys scared me a bit :D.

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #14,703 of 22,116
I just went and checked and mine are coming up on the one-year mark, but I ordered in January of this year so I have a three-year warranty. I was considering trying to get a cable replacement as mine is on its last legs, but my headphones themselves are going as strong as ever, I think.

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #14,704 of 22,116

From my brief listening I've found that their clarity CAN work really well for certain music. Even without EQ. Anyhoo, in search of brightness tackle I've ordered a set of Sennheiser foams. They're about 7.5cm and should about cover the driver leaving enough room to still attach the rings. In theory.. :)

It will not really do very much honestly I can tell you now, the modded pads and foam will make it slightly better but it will still be there. The reason for this being that the HE400 treble is not uniformly bright.... It has big spikes in it

:frowning2: Still hope it will take away a noticeable bit no matter how slight. Will know tomorrow.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #14,705 of 22,116
I don't mean to bring back the whole EQ discussion, but I just wanted to mention how much I'm enjoying these cans with nicholar's EQ configuration (treble only portion, not the bass boost). A complete pleasure listening to these headphones. The more I listen, the more I feel like these are my endgame.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #14,706 of 22,116

:frowning2: Still hope it will take away a noticeable bit no matter how slight. Will know tomorrow.

If you search this thread I made some nice guides on how to fix the HE400 treble sibilance / tizz without losing much detail, also look at Jerg / modulor's guides for pad mods.... Let me know how the foam goes though I am interested, problem with that is that although it might help a bit it will also lower the clarity of everything else.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #14,707 of 22,116
  I don't mean to bring back the whole EQ discussion, but I just wanted to mention how much I'm enjoying these cans with nicholar's EQ configuration (treble only portion, not the bass boost). A complete pleasure listening to these headphones. The more I listen, the more I feel like these are my endgame.

I felt real relief when I demoed the LCD-2, LCD-3, etc etc. Real relief because I actually preferred the sound signature of the HE-400. Relief stemming from somewhere in the wallet region. Endgame is a good word for it. I'm sure one day I'll buy more expensive headphones, but it will be more out of interest than a desire to find "my" headphones, and it will surely come when money is a bit easier to come by for me.

also EQ is impure rabble rabble rabble heathen and such

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #14,708 of 22,116

Thanks, as I keep saying these headphones are very good but flawed out of the box, fix these flaws and they are as close to perfect as you are going to get unless you want to remortgage your house for some high end's and an amplifier to run them. I have not tried EVERY pair of headphones under £500 but I have owned or demo every pair which are considered to be good at this price (except the mad dogs and alpha dogs). HE400 were probably the biggest disappointment for me out of the box but with mod / EQ they are my favourite headphones, actually the biggest disappointment were the Denon D600.... What a massive step backwards from the Dxxxx!

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #14,711 of 22,116

Thanks, as I keep saying these headphones are very good but flawed out of the box, fix these flaws and they are as close to perfect as you are going to get unless you want to remortgage your house for some high end's and an amplifier to run them. I have not tried EVERY pair of headphones under £500 but I have owned or demo every pair which are considered to be good at this price (except the mad dogs and alpha dogs). HE400 were probably the biggest disappointment for me out of the box but with mod / EQ they are my favourite headphones, actually the biggest disappointment were the Denon D600.... What a massive step backwards from the Dxxxx!

I don't think they're flawed at all out of the box. :]

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #14,712 of 22,116
I should end all my posts with IMO. But technically they are sort of flawed if you are looking for an even frequency response. If you like the sound out of the box then they are not flawed for you so there is no need to do anything to them, the pad mods will make them sound better though.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #14,713 of 22,116
  I should end all my posts with IMO. But technically they are sort of flawed if you are looking for an even frequency response.

Why would you need to end your post with that? What did I say to imply that you weren't stating an opinion? I just offered a different one, mate.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #14,714 of 22,116
  Why would you need to end your post with that? What did I say to imply that you weren't stating an opinion? I just offered a different one, mate

Yep no prob, if they sound perfect to you already then you do not need to do anything to them, although I recommend the modded pads... but for anyone that likes them but finds the treble a problem, it is possible to fix that.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #14,715 of 22,116
Eh, I'm not really interested in modded pads, as it happens. I even prefer the pleathers to the velours in just about every way, so I'm already something of an anomaly around these parts. I detect no difference most of the time. My ear pallet is probably not as trained, but I also don't desire it to be!

But I don't frown on pad modding or anything like that. I probably avoid it because I'm hopeless when it comes to doing anything with my hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back