**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #12,588 of 22,116
 how bout you stop wasting your time and money on a never-ending list of 'mid-tier' headphones and save up for a sr-007 and amp?  seriously, with how much you've bought and sold over recent years i reckon you lost at least half of what you could have put forth into an sr007.  

TM, the problem is one of getting the SR 007 mk1 which I have read here on Head-fi is better than the mk2. Are you agnostic to both models?

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #12,590 of 22,116
I've read you can easily mod the MK2 to be more akin to the MK1.  Whereas the MK1 had a linear and extended bass, the MK2 had more of a midbass hump and less extension.  Plugging up the bass port in the MK2 helps mitigate the hump and give it more extension.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #12,591 of 22,116
quote name="TMRaven" url="/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/12585#post_9787853"]I've read you can easily mod the MK2 to be more akin to the MK1.  Whereas the MK1 had a linear and extended bass, the MK2 had more of a midbass hump and less extension.  Plugging up the bass port in the MK2 helps mitigate the hump and give it more extension.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info, I did not know that. And apologies for temporarily hijacking this thread.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #12,592 of 22,116
 how bout you stop wasting your time and money on a never-ending list of 'mid-tier' headphones and save up for a sr-007 and amp?  seriously, with how much you've bought and sold over recent years i reckon you lost at least half of what you could have put forth into an sr007.  

Coincidentally, I was thinking of saving up for a TH900. Lol. Thats gonna take some time on my pay.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #12,593 of 22,116
Coincidentally, I was thinking of saving up for a TH900. Lol. Thats gonna take some time on my pay.

That is so unlike you to skip the TH600
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #12,597 of 22,116

There are actually a LOT of negative features on this HP if you think about it (weight, bad pads, weak cable conectors, requires quite some power to run, headband aint best out there either, open HP so no isolation....), but most of this seems irrelevant once you get realize the quality/price ratio.

I'm not really noticing these issues with my HE-400's. I was anticipating the possibility of comfort being an issue when I got them, but I'm happy to say that it hasn't been at all, I've gone 2 or 3 hours at a time many times since getting them, and they haven't once become uncomfortable. The cable is definitely on the stiff side, but I wrapped it up and tied it together at a suitable length and really don't have any issues with it. The headphone sits at my computer for listening, and sometimes moves to my bedroom if I feel like laying down, so the cable's lack of being pliable really doesn't have much baring on anything. I'm not sure what type of issues people might have been having with the connectors, they also seem sturdy enough to me. Maybe after untwisting them many times they become weaker? I've only disconnected mine a couple of times. The lack of isolation can't be held against the HE-400's, it's part of the intended design. Open and closed headphones are a different product, I don't think an open back design should be considered as a penalty.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #12,598 of 22,116

I'm not really noticing these issues with my HE-400's. I was anticipating the possibility of comfort being an issue when I got them, but I'm happy to say that it hasn't been at all, I've gone 2 or 3 hours at a time many times since getting them, and they haven't once become uncomfortable. The cable is definitely on the stiff side, but I wrapped it up and tied it together at a suitable length and really don't have any issues with it. The headphone sits at my computer for listening, and sometimes moves to my bedroom if I feel like laying down, so the cable's lack of being pliable really doesn't have much baring on anything. I'm not sure what type of issues people might have been having with the connectors, they also seem sturdy enough to me. Maybe after untwisting them many times they become weaker? I've only disconnected mine a couple of times. The lack of isolation can't be held against the HE-400's, it's part of the intended design. Open and closed headphones are a different product, I don't think an open back design should be considered as a penalty.

Well this is head-fi...so people nitpick about anything and everything.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #12,599 of 22,116
Any and all comfort issues I've ever had from headphones have been from the headband on top. A tight clamp has always helped alleviate the problem for me and the HE-400's have a perfect grip IMO. People praise Beyerdynamic for how comfortable their headphones are but the DT770 was one of the least comfortable headphones I've ever owned. They did not provide enough grip or have a flat enough headband to keep the top of my head from aching after 30min+. Personally, the HE-400 is perfect for me, though I can't complain about the HD600/580 either...

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #12,600 of 22,116
  Any and all comfort issues I've ever had from headphones have been from the headband on top. A tight clamp has always helped alleviate the problem for me and the HE-400's have a perfect grip IMO. People praise Beyerdynamic for how comfortable their headphones are but the DT770 was one of the least comfortable headphones I've ever owned. They did not provide enough grip or have a flat enough headband to keep the top of my head from aching after 30min+. Personally, the HE-400 is perfect for me, though I can't complain about the HD600/580 either...

Headphone comfort is so subjective. I find the ATH A900X headphones to be one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn and very few people share this opinion. Because of that I was worried about the comfort level of the HE-400's, but I also find them quite comfortable. Two very different headphone designs, yet both work well for me. It's always interesting to read about other peoples experiences with headphones, but I always take comments on comfort with a grain of salt. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back