**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 7, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #12,556 of 22,116
  Well, I got my HE-400's.  It's bittersweet.  For the positive, they are far and away the best sounding anything I've ever heard.  Definitely had that "wow" moment and heard tons of stuff in songs I didn't know existed.  Prior headphones include Alessandro MS-1, Sennheiser HD 555 modded, and AT ATH-A900x.   For the negative, I'm coming from closed headphones and after plugging them their openness disturbs my family in their home office.  So one hour on them and I may have to sell or switch them out for a closed set.  Wish I could just put a big glass bowl on my head and keep them.  How do the Mad Dogs stack up to the HE-400 in terms of sound character and sound leakage?

Mad Dogs hardly leak at all, if any. When I had mine, I could listen next to someone trying to sleep and not affect them at all. They are super comfortable.
As far as sound goes I made a post a while back to detail my thoughts at the time.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread/630#post_9603079

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #12,557 of 22,116
  Mad Dogs hardly leak at all, if any. When I had mine, I could listen next to someone trying to sleep and not affect them at all. They are super comfortable.
As far as sound goes I made a post a while back to detail my thoughts at the time.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread/630#post_9603079

Awesome, thanks!

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #12,558 of 22,116
W
Wje, how do you mod this? Or do you?

Koth,  Actually, I don't -- and not affiliated with the seller either.  I saw the cups in the F/S section so I thought I add the link to this thread as the members here are usually curious about wood options, etc.  At $85.00, it is a great price.  I've seen cups in somewhat more exotic woods and finished that go for $350.00, or so.  I don't think I could personally pay an amount for the cups that is near what I would have paid for the headphones.  There is one exception.  If I found a deal on a pair of headphones for $150.00 and they were worth $850, then the pricier wood option might be considered.

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #12,559 of 22,116
  Well, I got my HE-400's.  It's bittersweet.  For the positive, they are far and away the best sounding anything I've ever heard.  Definitely had that "wow" moment and heard tons of stuff in songs I didn't know existed.  Prior headphones include Alessandro MS-1, Sennheiser HD 555 modded, and AT ATH-A900x.   For the negative, I'm coming from closed headphones and after plugging them their openness disturbs my family in their home office.  So one hour on them and I may have to sell or switch them out for a closed set.  Wish I could just put a big glass bowl on my head and keep them.  How do the Mad Dogs stack up to the HE-400 in terms of sound character and sound leakage?

This is some unfortunate news to hear.  Sadly, you might have to return or sell the HE-400.  On the other hand, have you just considered asking your family to leave the house so you can enjoy some music for day?  
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #12,561 of 22,116
I agree. The main difference being the much less emphasized treble response. As far as bass and mids though, the MD 3.2 is a lot like the HE400.

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #12,562 of 22,116
@exiton, I found myself in a similar situation to yourself. In the end I just couldn't give up the he400 sound so I learned to listen to lower volumes. I also don't listen as often as I would like but that just makes my listening sessions all the more enjoyable. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #12,563 of 22,116

I originally had this problem as well, but I just accepted using the HE-400's at appropriate times where they would not interfere with the goings on around me. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #12,564 of 22,116
The mad dog are great and an excellent alternative to the HE400. Sure their are changes, but never the less the performance is just as great just some trade off. Definitely up there with the best of it's price range. More emphasis on the treble with more air with the HE400, but better mids, IMO, with the MD (3.0).

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #12,565 of 22,116
The answer to the he400 is simple. Keep it and order the MD. Then you have a perfect set of complementary hp's. Enjoy each as appropriate. 
biggrin.gif

Oh, but there is the small issue of money. 
atsmile.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #12,567 of 22,116
Its funny how many people dont like this HP at first and then get used to it after a few days of listen.

The coloration here is clearly not the most popular in the world (in fact at start i thought my head was going to blow up like those crystal cups that people break with their voice), but in many cases it grows on you after some time.

I do lower the treble a notch for this HP myself, but I still like the clarity it brings.

There are actually a LOT of negative features on this HP if you think about it (weight, bad pads, weak cable conectors, requires quite some power to run, headband aint best out there either, open HP so no isolation....), but most of this seems irrelevant once you get realize the quality/price ratio.

After all, If you got the cash, I assume a Stax 009 or a Senn HD800 should be the way to go :D.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #12,568 of 22,116
I dunno I really can't think of a better headband besides maybe a Sennheiser hd600/650 or audio technica wing system, and I only think the wing system works because of the super light weight of the headphones themselves.

Amplification is probably one of HE-400's strong points.  It might require a little juice but it doesn't need x amp to match perfectly with it.  As a planar magnetic it fits well with a lot of different amps.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #12,569 of 22,116
It wold SOOO easy for HFM to put a nice thick strip of memory foam under the sewn leather for the headband. This would go a long way to making this hp more comfortable IMO. The cost would almost be negligible. It the foam weren't sewn you'd see a long thread here called "jergfoam mod by Modular." 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back