**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #11,688 of 22,116
Quote:
Quote:
Gawd, you don't need to splurge big money! Where does that misconception come from?

An HE60 with the HEV70 amp was sold at a great, great price a couple of days ago btw. 

You should try it some time...

Okay, I'll bite. What was the great price?

Going a bit further into it, I have found that one of the drivers was way more quiet than the other, and the amp needed servicing (which sennheiser will do for a good price). The final price was 800$.

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #11,689 of 22,116
Quote:
I must admit, I enjoy dumping fuel on the fire and watching you guys burn each other...

The key to all this stuff is to not give a **** what anyone thinks of your stuff and how you listen to it. It doesn't matter.

I'm guilty of being an instigator, I will take some blame for some of the stuff going on here, I'll stop....

Remember everyone is smart and everyone is special! Some more special than others, if you know what i mean! haha!

I'd say you should remember being open and willing to learn, and think about the possible pros and cons of a subject (could be EQ'ing)

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #11,690 of 22,116
I'd say you should remember being open and willing to learn, and think about the possible pros and cons of a subject (could be EQ'ing)

Okay then, I'll tell you what, I am willing to experiment with it today and see what I think. I never want to be closed minded to anything, as they say "I'll try anything once". I will enable the EQ in JRiver, if I hit the button to enable it and it destroys my soundstage, puts a haze in my transparency or makes the AMAZING depth i am getting right now go away, basically effects the sound in ANY way, I'm going to give you guys the "told ya so!" big time. If it doesn't I will say I was wrong and we'll all have a group cyber hug. I'll report back a bit later today....

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #11,692 of 22,116
So before I conduct my little experiment I am still listening to the SACD player, I am listening to one of my favorite albums, Steely Dan "Aja" this was one of the fist things I listened to upon getting my HE-400 a week ago.  The title track is a long piece that has a great drum solo in the middle and towards the end, it was the first time I heard "the treble issue" with the HE-400 and knew what everyone was talking about.  During these fantastic drum flurries the drummer keeps hitting a small splash cymbal over and over again, when I first got the HE-400 these cymbal strikes were PAINFUL, just amazingly exaggerated and forced.  A week's worth of 'burn in" later and maybe just some good system matching(I have a Schiit Audio Lyr now that hasn't stopped playing music or pink noise since i got it yesterday at 4:30 PM) and this track sounds amazing now, those splash cymbals are transparent and awesome sounding!  If you have that album in you collection check it out and see what you think, let me know what you hear.  I am listening to the remastered CD, nothing special or out of the ordinary....

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #11,693 of 22,116
Quote:
Okay then, I'll tell you what, I am willing to experiment with it today and see what I think. I never want to be closed minded to anything, as they say "I'll try anything once". I will enable the EQ in JRiver, if I hit the button to enable it and it destroys my soundstage, puts a haze in my transparency or makes the AMAZING depth i am getting right now go away, basically effects the sound in ANY way, I'm going to give you guys the "told ya so!" big time. If it doesn't I will say I was wrong and we'll all have a group cyber hug. I'll report back a bit later today....

Well that would be your opinion or perceptions vs fact. Not sure if the jriver EQ works properly though I have not used it.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #11,694 of 22,116
Quote:

Well that would be your opinion or perceptions vs fact. Not sure if the jriver EQ works properly though I have not used it.

If I can't hear any difference that will to me be a fact, if I do hear a degradation that will be a fact also.  Are you making excuses for the EQ already?
tongue.gif

So which one should i use, it has to be free....

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #11,695 of 22,116
I've only heard the HE-400's on three different amps but I can certainly tell that the Lyr mates very well with this headphone. The Lyr also made my K701's a lot more dynamic and fuller sounding so I do believe the amp used can make a big difference.

Some have said "well, I'm getting plenty of volume from my *name the portable device* with HE-400" but I assume that just like speakers, just because you're getting enough volume doesn't mean that the headphone or speaker is getting enough juice to be controlled/driven properly. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #11,696 of 22,116
I was just looking up the info on the Equalizer built into the J.River Media Center (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Equalizer) and then wondered if anyone here has tried/used the "Crossfeed" function in J.River? 

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #11,697 of 22,116
Quote:
I must admit, I enjoy dumping fuel on the fire and watching you guys burn each other...

The key to all this stuff is to not give a **** what anyone thinks of your stuff and how you listen to it. It doesn't matter.

I'm guilty of being an instigator, I will take some blame for some of the stuff going on here, I'll stop....

Remember everyone is smart and everyone is special! Some more special than others, if you know what i mean! haha!

Sadly, this kind of goes against the grain in the belief system on this forum.  Normally, well all try to help each other out.  Dumping fuel on the fire is really the last thing we'd do, if at all. 
confused_face(1).gif

Quote:
Indeed, and soon... 
biggrin.gif
 I think you'll be the only HE-4 owner.  I've read a few other places that the MD Alpha Pads work well on the HE-4 and HE-5LE...have you experimented with this any?

Maybe not.  Check the F/S section.  An "Interest Check" on the HE-4s was posted last evening by Matt.

Quote:

Ssshhh ... stop fanning the flames with this guy.  Please?

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #11,698 of 22,116
Quote:
Just make sure to EQ down.

I don't have the fr graph in front of me but if these headphones have a "suck out' in the midrange wouldn't you bump that range up a bit and then bring down the spike in the treble? Am I thinking of the fr graph for the rev.1 of the 400? Are both versions of the 400 suppose to have the suck out in the midrange or just the first? Thanks.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #11,699 of 22,116
Quote:

Sadly, this kind of goes against the grain in the belief system on this forum.  Normally, well all try to help each other out.  Dumping fuel on the fire is really the last thing we'd do, if at all. 
confused_face(1).gif

Ssshhh ... stop fanning the flames with this guy.  Please?

Hey now, I admitted to it without any one calling me out on it, I said I will stop and now I've agreed to check the EQ thing out and have an open mind.  Not sure what else I can do to be straight up?

Also, I think I've brought some good information and observations to this thread as well, remember the Graceland experiment?

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #11,700 of 22,116
Quote:

I don't have the fr graph in front of me but if these headphones have a "suck out' in the midrange wouldn't you bump that range up a bit and then bring down the spike in the treble? Am I thinking of the fr graph for the rev.1 of the 400? Are both versions of the 400 suppose to have the suck out in the midrange or just the first? Thanks.

You would, but in order to do that you keep the area around 2-5khz at 0db while everything else is lower, and the treble around 10khz lowest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back