**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #11,716 of 22,116
Quote:
Oh yes jerg I meant resonance in the upper-midrange. Clearly this is what I meant...
evil_smiley.gif
 (good catch
wink.gif
) I hope you're not this expert... LOL

"Funkiness to the timbre" seriously? With the velour pads the timbre is dead on. I'm very sensitive to this. I have no idea what you're talking about but I guess we have different ears. Pleathers? maybe a little timbre issue going on there though...

The glare issue with HE500 is indeed a bit more apparent with pleather earpads than with velours, but it's present with both kinds of pads. It seems to be a trouble-spot around 600~800 Hz area where there is some ringing. 

The glare only gets nasty in very specific tracks (out of my whole music archive of over 5000 lossless tracks, there are about a dozen or so tracks that emphasize the glare issue), that have a ton of harmonic filters that emphasize the 600-800 Hz region.

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udfnts8BiqM listen to it at loud volumes, and note the mid-range glare.

Any further discussion about HE500 will go to its thread now.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #11,717 of 22,116
Quote:
The glare issue with HE500 is indeed a bit more apparent with pleather earpads than with velours, but it's present with both kinds of pads. It seems to be a trouble-spot around 600~800 Hz area where there is some ringing. 

The glare only gets nasty in very specific tracks (out of my whole music archive of over 5000 lossless tracks, there are about a dozen or so tracks that emphasize the glare issue), that have a ton of harmonic filters that emphasize the 600-800 Hz region.

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udfnts8BiqM listen to it at loud volumes, and note the mid-range glare.

Not home now, but I will check it out ASAP. Thanks for the link jerg.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #11,718 of 22,116
So, I've not really paid to much attention to the Jerg mod because it looks so involved, but do I have it correct that the holes in the pads help dampen some of the upper mid bass energy that I am hearing even on the velour pads? It almost sounds like it's echo'ing of the pad walls?

I need to read up on these and see if I can get me a pair! haha! I know a little late to the party, but I just got my HE-400....

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #11,719 of 22,116
Quote:
So I have tried it and I say "no go" for me, not saying anyone else is wrong, but I will leave the EQ option unchecked on my rig.  Can we still have a cyber hug?

No, not until you get an LCD2, HE-500 or a mad-dog and compare it to an HE-400 with eq'd treble.  Of course you'll lose air when you eq the treble down on the HE-400, it's one of the most airy headphones on the market-- way too much air.  The other 3 are more along the line of what one should be hearing in the treble, and if they sound very veiled in comparison then you're used to the HE-400, and it's not a wrong or flawed presentation with the 3 other cans.  I remember when I first implemented my treble rolloff I thought it made the HE-400 sound veiled in comparison, but eventually when I got to listen to LCD2 and the Mad Dogs I just realized it was how the treble was supposed to sound like.

As for the completely flat eq being turned on and off causing a slight veil over the entire sound, I call bs on it.  I'd love to see you try to tell the difference in a blind a/b.  That's very easy to setup, you'd just need someone else at the computer systematically turning it on and off and you telling them exactly when they're doing it and which one is which.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #11,720 of 22,116
Holes: reduce ringing in the mid range
Tape: conduct sub-bass better
Vents: slightly better imaging/sound staging
Velour top: retain some openness in the sound

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #11,721 of 22,116
Quote:
900x900px-LL-b3f22c20_index.jpeg

So  what I think I've learned over the last week of ownership of the HE-400 is that system matching is crucial.  I've also learned that my DragonFly is better than my NAD SACD/DVD-Audio player and the Lyr is a fantastic match for the HE-400, like they were made for each other!

I certainly believe that's true...its probably why Schiit Audio uses the HE-400 and 500 with the Lyr at audio shows.

Can't agree more on "Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop ( 24/88)...its great music and a fantastic recording. If I play that on my main system the Magnepan's simply disappear as do the walls to the side and behind them. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #11,722 of 22,116
No, not until you get an LCD2, HE-500 or a mad-dog and compare it to an HE-400 with eq'd treble.  Of course you'll lose air when you eq the treble down on the HE-400, it's one of the most airy headphones on the market-- way too much air.  The other 3 are more along the line of what one should be hearing in the treble, and if they sound very veiled in comparison then you're used to the HE-400, and it's not a wrong or flawed presentation with the 3 other cans.  I remember when I first implemented my treble rolloff I thought it made the HE-400 sound veiled in comparison, but eventually when I got to listen to LCD2 and the Mad Dogs I just realized it was how the treble was supposed to sound like.

As for the completely flat eq being turned on and off causing a slight veil over the entire sound, I call bs on it.  I'd love to see you try to tell the difference in a blind a/b.  That's very easy to setup, you'd just need someone else at the computer systematically turning it on and off and you telling them exactly when they're doing it and which one is which.

LCD2 is more than likely my next purchase, it just might be a while though.

I just might fail that A/B test, it was that close. I did do an experiment during the day where I put the EQ on and off for longer periods of time and then I would guess as to which state it was in and I nailed it every time. I can't say I was sure every time, but I never got it wrong and I can honestly say I did lose track of it quite often. It is micro detail for sure, but the HE-400 showed it, would my AKG? Maybe not.....

Thanks for explaining the A/B test for me, I get so confused talking about audio....

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #11,723 of 22,116
Holes: reduce ringing in the mid range
Tape: conduct sub-bass better
Vents: slightly better imaging/sound staging
Velour top: retain some openness in the sound

Thanks for the rundown! I find it strange that the holes fix ringing in the midrange when the midrange is sucked out quite a bit to this headphone, sounds like an upper mid bass issue to my ears.

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #11,724 of 22,116
I certainly believe that's true...its probably why Schiit Audio uses the HE-400 and 500 with the Lyr at audio shows.

Can't agree more on "Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop ( 24/88)...its great music and a fantastic recording. If I play that on my main system the Magnepan's simply disappear as do the walls to the side and behind them. 

Great sounding album! I'm just listening to this through my HD598s at the moment on Spotify Premium, will try it on my 400s later. Another album that sounds absolutely real to me is Doug MacLeod's 'There's a Time'. I don't think I've heard more realism through my HifiMan's than this album. Does anyone know it? It's so well and naturally recorded that all the issues and gripes you might have with the headphones magically disappear and you're left in awe of the most natural vocals, present and focused bass, wide open and clear highs, rich mids, all melded into an impressive and organic whole. It's also helps of course that all the songs are so characterful and beautifully performed! Check it out if you get a chance and need a reason to never get rid of these cans!

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #11,725 of 22,116
Quote:

^This and this. The HE-400 can be fatiguing sometimes at moderate volume. Too much treble for my taste. Keep in mind, though, I'm using a solid state amp. Also, indeed, flat EQ setting turned on should do absolute NOTHING to your sound whatsoever. If it does, that means your JRiver's equalizer is a phony or poorly programmed equalizer.
Quote:
I swear this thread is more about EQ than the HE-400. LOL. It's pretty much on every page now. Something about EQ this or that.

People were talking about how to appropriately EQ the HE-400 - specifically its upper mids. Not sure how that isn't relevant.

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #11,726 of 22,116
Quote:
Great sounding album! I'm just listening to this through my HD598s at the moment on Spotify Premium, will try it on my 400s later. Another album that sounds absolutely real to me is Doug MacLeod's 'There's a Time'. I don't think I've heard more realism through my HifiMan's than this album. Does anyone know it? It's so well and naturally recorded that all the issues and gripes you might have with the headphones magically disappear and you're left in awe of the most natural vocals, present and focused bass, wide open and clear highs, rich mids, all melded into an impressive and organic whole. It's also helps of course that all the songs are so characterful and beautifully performed! Check it out if you get a chance and need a reason to never get rid of these cans!

There's A Time is a tremendously well recorded album and a really fine blues selection. If you have any interest at in blues and masterful recording, you owe it to yourself to buy this one, fire up the he400 and prepare to be amazed. This recording demonstrates some of the best textured bass I've ever had the pleasure to witness. Track #2 Black Nights is just sublime. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #11,727 of 22,116

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. What style of music is it? Is it available in high rez?

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #11,728 of 22,116
There's A Time is a tremendously well recorded album and a really fine blues selection. If you have any interest at in blues and masterful recording, you owe it to yourself to buy this one, fire up the he400 and prepare to be amazed. This recording demonstrates some of the best textured bass I've ever had the pleasure to witness. Track #2 Black Nights is just sublime. 

Haha! We must have been posting at the same time, thanks for the info! It's on Reference Recordings and the site says a DVD-Audio @ 24/176 is available.

HDTracks has it in several formats, I'll get it later when I get home, not the biggest blues fan though, but the reviews are phenomenal. I'll give it a go.

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #11,730 of 22,116
Quote:
Trying on newly arrived velours just now. Is it just me or do the velours have more upper-mids and lower-trebles than the pleathers? (Sorry, this thread is too massive to use search through it)

Velours raise the overall upper end (everything past 2kHz or so) by a dB or two compared to pleathers, so yes, upper mids and lower treble are raised, as are mid-treble and upper treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back