**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 24, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #10,741 of 22,116
I have these up for sale but am contemplating keeping them.  The sound signature is very unique but it's growing on me bit by bit.  At first I despised these due the treble but a few mods have helped them out in that area.  I'll give these a bit more time before I make a final decision.

May 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #10,743 of 22,116
Anyone here have experience with the HE-400 on tube amps? Does rolling tubes improve the bass slam? Or does the bass on these improve over time?

I'm asking because all I've read about the HE-400 is how amazing the bass is. It's quite good, but I must admit, after a long time with my K550 and Mad Dogs, I'm somewhat disappointed. It's definitely detailed, but it lacks the punch that I'm used to on the other cans. I'm also using the velour pads, in case anyone is wondering.

May 25, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #10,744 of 22,116
Quote:
Anyone here have experience with the HE-400 on tube amps? Does rolling tubes improve the bass slam? Or does the bass on these improve over time?

I'm asking because all I've read about the HE-400 is how amazing the bass is. It's quite good, but I must admit, after a long time with my K550 and Mad Dogs, I'm somewhat disappointed. It's definitely detailed, but it lacks the punch that I'm used to on the other cans. I'm also using the velour pads, in case anyone is wondering.

HE-400 doesn't have boosted bass: It's very linear from 20hz to 1khz. This means that if the music has bass on it, HE-400 will reproduce it flawlessly. If not, it won't add any.

If you wan't more slam, you can use some equalization. One of the most impressive things about HE-400 is that even when boosting the bass, it won't bleed into the mids.

May 25, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #10,746 of 22,116
HE-400 doesn't have boosted bass: It's very linear from 20hz to 1khz. This means that if the music has bass on it, HE-400 will reproduce it flawlessly. If not, it won't add any.

If you wan't more slam, you can use some equalization. One of the most impressive things about HE-400 is that even when boosting the bass, it won't bleed into the mids.

I did some messing around with EQ a while back to see how much I could raise the bass on these cans without distortion, let me just say you risk your head coming loose with the intense vibration. And the best part, like you mention, it doesn't drown out anything.

May 25, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #10,747 of 22,116
I just started listening through the album and it really reminds me of Phutureprimitive but much more ambient. They have very similar sounds though and I love it.

They have a certain formula in all their songs where they start off slow and slowly build up to the epic chorus of sounds, really addictive for me. I really like Phuturprimitive too

May 25, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #10,748 of 22,116
Quote:

That is interesting, I held off on modded Fostex as I thought the HFM's would have much better bass. I've never heard modded Fostex as yet but I kept reading "EQ needed" to bring out the bass potential (except maybe one or 2 $$$ models). I'm looking at the Mayflowers as a 3rd set of cans option also as they are about the cheapest vs MD's etc.

Daft Punk, I remember their first track back in 1994 on my Soma compilation CD. MY MY, how they have come along with their sound :wink:

May 25, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #10,749 of 22,116
Funny, there is a discussion going on in the Mad Dog thread about EQing the HE-400 (?)

I've never used EQ for headphones before, but I imagine the HE-400 is a nice place to start. Would anyone here care to put up a screenshot of their favorite EQ settings for the HE-400?

May 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #10,750 of 22,116
Quote:
Funny, there is a discussion going on in the Mad Dog thread about EQing the HE-400 (?)

I've never used EQ for headphones before, but I imagine the HE-400 is a nice place to start. Would anyone here care to put up a screenshot of their favorite EQ settings for the HE-400?

This is what Im using, both in Foobar2k and system wide. I'm really happy with it. I lowered the overall treble because I like a darker signature, but gave more focus between 8-10 Khz because that's where I hear most sibilance, and around 16 Khz because that's where a lot of others like to EQ down too.

It reduces fatigue for me, but at the same time still retains that HE-400 "sparkle" that many like.

May 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #10,751 of 22,116
Quote:

I've used the lyr with multiple tubes on the he400, he-4 and he500. For me, it was a good pairing across each of those hp's. Particularly with the he400, the bass weight and overall presence was certainly more present. Not that the he400 needs much more bass. Outside of the lcd series, the he400 has some of the best bass in the game. But it's not as linear as the latest build on the Maddog. 

The he400 seems to add a touch more bass than the MD, where the Maddog seems to be more linear and true to the recording. Most would appreciate the extra coloration on the he400 as it provides a bit more "fun." 

May 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #10,753 of 22,116
dxanex,

I'm surprise you feel the K550 and the mad dog have more bass impact than the He400.  I felt the K550 has deep bass, but softer impact...maybe it's the soundstage that is giving me that impression.  I had the mad dog 3.0 so I'm not sure which one you had, but I switch over to the He400 because I felt it's bass is better (other reason too). 

May 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #10,754 of 22,116
Quote:
dxanex,

I'm surprise you feel the K550 and the mad dog have more bass impact than the He400.  I felt the K550 has deep bass, but softer impact...maybe it's the soundstage that is giving me that impression.  I had the mad dog 3.0 so I'm not sure which one you had, but I switch over to the He400 because I felt it's bass is better (other reason too). 

I did a few modifications to my K550, so that may be why I hear a bit more impact. My Mad Dogs are version 3.1, at least that's what I was told by the original owner...it has a bit more slam, goes very deep but nowhere near the detail as the HE-400 bass.

Meanwhile, I downloaded a neat little EQ add-on for Spotify called Equalify and I boosted the 60-170 Hz range by 2db and it transformed the HE-400 for me. I know EQ is a touchy subject but for me the HE-400 retains all the sparkle, detail and clarity that makes them so impressive but gives it just a little more kick in the mid bass that I've become addicted to thanks to the MD's. Sounds fantastic to these ears.

May 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #10,755 of 22,116
I am saving up for a pair of HE 400s now to upgrade from my A900Xs. Any advice/ suggestion on Amps/DACs that pair well? I have a Fiio E7 now,  but was also trying to decide between a Magni/Modi combo or an Aune A1. Any other suggestions are welcome as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back