**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 10, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #9,601 of 22,116
Quote:
Ok, thank you very much for your input.

If you're in the US I think your turn around may be faster - I had to ship mine from Australia to Hong Kong, NA customers only have to ship to an office in the US as far as I know:

[size=10.5pt]Quote:[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Please print your online email receipt, note you need a refund, and ship your item with accessories / box, printed email and a note to the following address:[/size]

[size=10.5pt]If you reside in North America or South America, please ship the item to our USA address:[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Hua Qi[/size]
[size=10.5pt]2032 S. Orchard St.  Apt. B[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Urbana, IL 61801[/size]
[size=10.5pt]USA[/size]

[size=10.5pt]If you do not reside in North America or South America, please ship your item to our Hong Kong address:[/size]

[size=10.5pt]HIFIMAN Customer Service[/size]
[size=10.5pt]KOEY Ng[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Rm326, Hor Ping Hse, Long Ping Est, Yuen Long, N.T.[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Hong Kong[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Tel: 0085224456310/ 97338010[/size]

[size=10.5pt]After sending your package back, please send the tracking number to me. Thank you.[/size]

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #9,603 of 22,116
Quote:

It's a substantial pairing. 
size]
 The he400 does not scale as well as some other hp's but it still has pretty good legs with better gear. You'll love it...I know I do. Time to do a little tube rolling. 

That is really great to hear :p Funny enough I felt that when I hooked the HE-400 to the Marantz it scaled really nicely. Although it is a little hard to say since I was driving it poorly prior to that so the jump was very welcome. If the Lyr powers this thing equally as well as the Marantz did, I see very little reason why I wouldn't be happy with it. It seems the pairing with the HD650 doesn't even need to be asked about since so many people have mentioned how great it is. 

I was just a little nervous the Lyr wouldn't do enough justice for the HE-400. Hopefully I will find out very soon. The wait is killing me D: 

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #9,604 of 22,116
Quote:
That is really great to hear :p Funny enough I felt that when I hooked the HE-400 to the Marantz it scaled really nicely. Although it is a little hard to say since I was driving it poorly prior to that so the jump was very welcome. If the Lyr powers this thing equally as well as the Marantz did, I see very little reason why I wouldn't be happy with it. It seems the pairing with the HD650 doesn't even need to be asked about since so many people have mentioned how great it is. 

I was just a little nervous the Lyr wouldn't do enough justice for the HE-400. Hopefully I will find out very soon. The wait is killing me D: 

LYR not enough for the he400...won't do it justice? Phaha...
tongue.gif

They actually sound great together. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #9,605 of 22,116
Quote:

LYR not enough for the he400...won't do it justice? Phaha...
tongue.gif

They actually sound great together. 

hahaha like the reassurance. well in all fairness, I have not tested the Lyr at all so all I have to go off of are many hours of research, reviews and now... a good amount of money gone from my wallet :frowning2: 

Although with the amount of power the Lyr has, it seems almost laughable to think it can't power the HE-400 :p 

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #9,606 of 22,116
Quote:
But where did you get yours from? Was it an official distributor (like a shop on amazon) or you got them directly from them?

Also, how long did it take for you to get the replacement?

P.S, my pads are modded, does that mean I will have to order a new pair before sending them off for a replacement?

As far as your pads go, you don't even need to include them in your RMA, from what I've heard. I remember a distributor suggesting that people not include their pads because HiFiMan will likely replace your headphones with a new pair in a retail box with extra sets of pads.

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #9,607 of 22,116
The more time spent with the HE-400, the more amazing the OVERALL sound becomes. It's as though the sound has grown spatially and there is a more filling-out effect. The weird thing is that I am listening to it unamped directly from my MBA.

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #9,608 of 22,116
Originally Posted by kothganesh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The more time spent with the HE-400, the more amazing the OVERALL sound becomes. It's as though the sound has grown spatially and there is a more filling-out effect. The weird thing is that I am listening to it unamped directly from my MBA.

I'm running the HE-400 through the Violectric V200 (or the Lake People G109).  The HE-400's (already) impressive bass is simply jaw-dropping with these two solid state amps.  Fast, tight, muscular, effortless, extended, and incredibly punchy.  That praise extends to not just the bass, but the rest of the spectrum, too.  The Vio amps definitely have uncanny synergy with orthos (and the HD800)... hell, they sound great with everything, really.. LOL.  I'll toss the TubeDAC-11 into the mix from time to time to remind myself how much the HE-400 loves tubes, too.  The Vio/LP amps have a smooth, grainless, transparent liquidity to them that feels like it mixes the best if what a ss & tube amp has to offer.  It certainly helps that the HE-400 isn't all that picky with upstream gear, too.

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #9,609 of 22,116
Quote:

I'm running the HE-400 through the Violectric V200 (or the Lake People G109).  The HE-400's (already) impressive bass is simply jaw-dropping with these two solid state amps.  Fast, tight, muscular, effortless, extended, and incredibly punchy.  That praise extends to not just the bass, but the rest of the spectrum, too.  The Vio amps definitely have uncanny synergy with orthos (and the HD800)... hell, they sound great with everything, really.. LOL.  I'll toss the TubeDAC-11 into the mix from time to time to remind myself how much the HE-400 loves tubes, too.  The Vio/LP amps have a smooth, grainless, transparent liquidity to them that feels like it mixes the best if what a ss & tube amp has to offer.  It certainly helps that the HE-400 isn't all that picky with upstream gear, too.

I have been itching to try the V200. My wallet so wishes you did not just post this........

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #9,610 of 22,116
Quote:

AMEN to that. My one is like day-and-night vs out the box a week ago and that is off a cheap USB DAC from a hackintosh or DAC and altoid and it still sounds superb.So it will scale even more once I get a desktop amp.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #9,611 of 22,116
Originally Posted by Fearless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have been itching to try the V200. My wallet so wishes you did not just post this........

Well, my G109 (which comes close to the V200's performance) is up for sale.

/shameless_plug

wink_face.gif

Really though.. they're both phenomenal amps.  I just kind of laugh at all the consternation over the HE-400's bright, upper treble.  It's a non-factor for me with the ODAC > V200/G109.  I'm rocking the velours, too.. no this 'modded' pad or that one.. no mods whatsoever.  Just a smooth, vibrant sound.  I can also appreciate the HE-400 on its own terms though.. It isn't (natively) tuned to be neutral.. and I'm fine with that.  I don't mind the HE-400's slightly recessed midrange (this, coming from someone who loves his midrange!).  With the V200/G109, I'm still able to hear all the wonderful midrange details without having to 'dig through' the bass and treble.  When I want to get lost in the midrange.. I'll grab the HD800 or FA-002w HE.

You know I'm spoiled when the HE-400 is relegated to being designated as my full sized 'beater' phone.. LOL.  When I'm not interested in getting swept up in "holy resolution" (from the HD800 & 002w-HE), I grab the HE-400.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #9,614 of 22,116
Quote:
 I just kind of laugh at all the consternation over the HE-400's bright, upper treble..............  I don't mind the HE-400's slightly recessed midrange (this, coming from someone who loves his midrange!). .........

^2. Completely agree. I love the treble as a matter of fact. This combined with the deep bass gives me that wide spatial effect and helps me very easy to get absorbed into the music.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #9,615 of 22,116
Quote:
^2. Completely agree. I love the treble as a matter of fact. This combined with the deep bass gives me that wide spatial effect and helps me very easy to get absorbed into the music.

Quote:

Well, my G109 (which comes close to the V200's performance) is up for sale.

/shameless_plug

wink_face.gif

Really though.. they're both phenomenal amps.  I just kind of laugh at all the consternation over the HE-400's bright, upper treble.  It's a non-factor for me with the ODAC > V200/G109.  I'm rocking the velours, too.. no this 'modded' pad or that one.. no mods whatsoever.  Just a smooth, vibrant sound.  I can also appreciate the HE-400 on its own terms though.. It isn't (natively) tuned to be neutral.. and I'm fine with that.  I don't mind the HE-400's slightly recessed midrange (this, coming from someone who loves his midrange!).  With the V200/G109, I'm still able to hear all the wonderful midrange details without having to 'dig through' the bass and treble.  When I want to get lost in the midrange.. I'll grab the HD800 or FA-002w HE.

You know I'm spoiled when the HE-400 is relegated to being designated as my full sized 'beater' phone.. LOL.  When I'm not interested in getting swept up in "holy resolution" (from the HD800 & 002w-HE), I grab the HE-400.

Different strokes for different folks I'd say.  I wasn't a fan of the treble but I still consider the HE-400 a great can.  Got the HE-500's earlier today and couldn't be more happy. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back