**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #7,727 of 22,116
I took your advice and used yong's vst wrapper. However the electri-q plugin still has some bad bugs.

It doesn't crash foobar, but saving presets is just impossible. If I edit a 'user' preset and give it a custom name things go bad. When I select that specific preset it gives the 'incompatible preset file' error. Also It seems to forget my presets until I reboot foobar.

Is there a way around this error?

p.s. saving different presets under the original name 'user' is unacceptable.

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #7,728 of 22,116
Quote:
I took your advice and used yong's vst wrapper. However the electri-q plugin still has some bad bugs.

It doesn't crash foobar, but saving presets is just impossible. If I edit a 'user' preset and give it a custom name things go bad. When I select that specific preset it gives the 'incompatible preset file' error. Also It seems to forget my presets until I reboot foobar.

Is there a way around this error?

p.s. saving different presets under the original name 'user' is unacceptable.

When you've made an EQ, do 2 things; 1) click the "store" button on the bottom row to save the EQ, and 2) rightclick the box between "presets" and "digital" and export the EQ as a backup.

I never got the top EQ saving menu to work either, but doing what I just described is pretty reliable albeit a little more organization.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #7,732 of 22,116
I just like the J$ pads because they turn the HE-400 from a not too uncomfortable headphone into a very comfortable headphone. I hope this still holds true in the summer, as I'd be afraid to do any velour mods to these since I would be out of luck if I screwed it up.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #7,734 of 22,116
If anyone's interested, check out TB Isone vst plugins. They have some free trials. There are a few really awesome effects! I could spend hours playing around with them. To name a few, Large studio, small studio, far away, the neighbours, the other room, directional speaker, laptop, cardboard box, crappy speakers, alarm clock, concert hall, home theater, and quite a few others. 

Sorry if im taking this off topic, but seriously these sound awesome, it's amazing how well they work.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #7,735 of 22,116
Quote:
I'd be all on the jmoney pads if they had the build quality of the audeze leathers.

Yeah...I had the chance to try out the LCD3 earpads for a few days recently, and its build / material quality is just perfection. The lambskin is so impeccable and treated to be so soft that it literally felt like nothing when you touched it. Quite a far cry from the J$'s which are more...handmade, so to speak.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #7,736 of 22,116
After 2 hours of work I came up with this, the Hifi'ze LCD-400.  Sounds closer to the LCD-2 but still not the LCD-2.  The Hifiman will forever be airier and the Audeze forever more thick/lacking of air.  Plus there's some timbre differences as well even still, and I think it's because of damping scheme.  LCD-2's lower treble has a bit of hardness to it, I wouldn't call it a smooth treble, but it's a non fatiguing treble.  LCD-2's bass also has this super tightness thing that even HE-400 doesn't have.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #7,737 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah...I had the chance to try out the LCD3 earpads for a few days recently, and its build / material quality is just perfection. The lambskin is so impeccable and treated to be so soft that it literally felt like nothing when you touched it. Quite a far cry from the J$'s which are more...handmade, so to speak.

The build on the j$ pads are quite good IMO having purchased them for $45 shipped - I expect the Audeze pads to be a bit nicer and more sturdy for what they cost.  Eventually the leather will become softer, but you can expedite the process with various oil treatments.  I'm still pretty satisfied with the build and sound the j$ provide...now is the time people!  Get them before their gone 
eek.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #7,738 of 22,116
Quote:
I'd be all on the jmoney pads if they had the build quality of the audeze leathers.

For $41 + shipping, you'd desire the J$ Beyerdynamic pads if they were the same build quality of the Audeze?  There are places such as Moon-Audio that sells (or, did sell) a pair of the LCD-2 pads for $80 a pair, plus shipping.

What issues with the quality did you detect that didn't stand up as well against the Audeze pads?  Feedback is important to know.  I can say for certain that I personally won't be involved with any future pad creations, production, or distribution in any shape or form.  However, in the post that Jeremy (J$) created back in early December when he started the sell-off of his items to prepare for his move, he did hint that there was a slight possibility of him re-entering the market at some future point with some cheaper, yet high-quality items.  Granted, that could just be the process of some thoughts occuring in the post. 

I do know one thing though, the process of doing one-off selling to individuals is really a business model that Jeremy and many others would not want to take on.  I believe that the ultiimate role would be do a wholesale business where hundreds of pads are sold to a vendor at a time.  The "one-off" model can be a support nightmare.  For example, leather can have its own imperfections.  There was an individual who pointed out one of the divets in the leather and felt that it wasn't something he could live with. So, he asked if the pad could be replaced and he'd cover the shipping expenses.  The pad was exchanged, I received the returned pad, yet I've asked for the funds paid for shipping (as promised) and am still waiting.

People have champagne tastes, but only a beer budget.  In the end, some expectations of buyers will not be fully met because they over-anticipate the item.  A business that is designed to run on a profit, would have additional expenses built in for handling swaps refunds, etc.  However, a "bare knuckle" operation like was undertaken has very little chance for long-term survival.  It just isn't possible.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #7,739 of 22,116
Quote:

Again, the playing field has to be level in order to make a proper comparison.  Apples vs. apples.  If the J$ pads are being dinged for not being this or that, we have to look at the cost.  I think if they sold for $40 more and more money could be applied towards finding some consistent companies who are great at high-speed sewing and one or two grades of better leather could be used, then we could really compare apples to apples.  Until the playing field is level, the dislikes and the criticisms can not be made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back