**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 28, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #6,391 of 22,116
Quote:
Any matrix m-stage love here? I love my m-stage for it's colored/warm sound. That might be what Okamoto is looking for. Has anyone tried this pairing as I'm interested as well. I plan on getting the he-400's soon.  I don't mean to barge in here, but I've been eyeing this thread for a while.   I suspect it to be the cause of my overwhelming desire to get the he-400.

Plenty of M-stage love here. Awesome amp for the price, pairs really well with the HE-400. 

It is quite long like someone mentioned, but that suits my desk better.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #6,392 of 22,116
Quote:
Dangit, Jerg, you just crushed the spirit of a whole bunch of little boys on this thread. 
tongue.gif

Granted, I'm not a source of highest opinion, but I've also owned the HE-500, the HE-5LE, too.  However, none of them were appropriately fitted with the JOPIP (*), so my results might vary a bit. But, I will state that while I can't remember all the details at the time, but there was something that made me determine to keep the HE-400s.  I think it a lot may have had quite a bit to do with the "fun" factor more than anything.

It's strange, because I always perceived the audiophile lingo "fun" as "enjoyable more than dead-accurate", but that meant that it would be a synonym with "musical" if the person seeking the "fun" wants to enjoy a wide variety music more than anything else. 

And then stemming from "musical", you'd suddenly want a smooth bloomed midrange, satisfying textured rumbly bass, and sweet extended treble, which is almost an antithesis of the typical "fun sound signature".

So I guess I'm looking for "musicality" more than "fun" in this hobby then.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #6,393 of 22,116
Quote:

If you have access to a vinyl rig, that's the way to go for groups like Paramore imo.

My CD verison of Riot! averages a 5 on the dynamic range meter.  I also made a needledrop of my vinyl version (white color, love colored vinyl) and ran a DR value using Foobar and it averaged a 10 (lowest value was 10, with a couple songs 11) 

You gotta be kidding me, Vinyl? That crap costs a fortune!
OmG what did i get myself into...

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #6,394 of 22,116
Quote:
It's strange, because I always perceived the audiophile lingo "fun" as "enjoyable more than dead-accurate", but that meant that it would be a synonym with "musical" if the person seeking the "fun" wants to enjoy a wide variety music more than anything else. 

And then stemming from "musical", you'd suddenly want a smooth bloomed midrange, satisfying textured rumbly bass, and sweet extended treble, which is almost an antithesis of the typical "fun sound signature".

So I guess I'm looking for "musicality" more than "fun" in this hobby then.

Then, go for tubes

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #6,396 of 22,116
Quote:
Uh-uh. I don't want to get into something with parts that need to be replaced, not for the foreseeable future anyway.

3 yr old original tubes still running here... Since you are having fun modding your pads, it should be no problem :p
You are missing something, just saying.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #6,397 of 22,116
Quote:

3 yr old original tubes still running here... Since you are having fun modding your pads, it should be no problem :p
You are missing something, just saying.

It's a quirk of mine, but I'd rather have a stable permanent upstream setup and only tinker with the headphones themselves. I'm sure many others on Head-Fi share the same inclination.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #6,398 of 22,116
Quote:
It's a quirk of mine, but I'd rather have a stable permanent upstream setup and only tinker with the headphones themselves. I'm sure many others on Head-Fi share the same inclination.

I do too, it's the reason I chose the M-stage over the Little Dot MKIII at the time.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #6,399 of 22,116
Quote:
2002 is old trance? lol

lol I can hear the influence of freestyle music in this song. The beat is pure freestyle…which was popular late 80s early 90s.

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

This guide is pretty cool as it links various styles of electronic music with examples from the 70's-00s

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #6,401 of 22,116
Love to see people talking about tube amps ... My Little Dot MKIII pairs so well with the HE-400. Now that I have the Magni+Modi, I'll be using them both, depending on what kind of mood I'm in. I don't tube roll much, I bought some Voskods that are really awesome. I also loved dealing with the folks at Little Dot, they were super helpful and now I really, really want some of their higher end stuff in the future.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #6,402 of 22,116
Lots of discussion going on - hard to keep up.

To the person worrying about treble - Why try to change that with an amp? You would want one that rolls off starting around maybe 2-3 khz. I like to emphasize that there are just NOT many actual instruments or human voices that you will find in the 9-10 khz and beyond range. If you think the treble is too "hot", your problem is probably in the mid-range frequencies somewhere. OR, it is the recording, as I have been emphasizing over and over again.
deadhorse.gif

As for the best pads - that one is easy. Whichever are most comfy and don't make your ears sweat. Seriously. I am not modding pads for the same reason I am not going to buy a bad amp to attenuate treble - the $/performance difference is negative or 0.

Jerg - you should take some measurements of the Jergpads and see if you can find a difference like you did with pleather v velour.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #6,403 of 22,116
Yeah I don't really worry about the sound of earpads myself. They really only make a major impact on closed headphones that need a good seal and IEMs in my experience. Even when swapping new pleathers on my MDR-V6's coming from some likely >15 year old pads that had absolutely all the pleather flaked off and the inner seams completely torn I wouldn't define the sound change as major by any means.

As far as comfort goes I love the J$ though. I'll see how much I like them when summer comes and my apartment is 10 degrees hotter...

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #6,404 of 22,116
Quote:

As for the best pads - that one is easy. Whichever are most comfy and don't make your ears sweat. Seriously. I am not modding pads for the same reason I am not going to buy a bad amp to attenuate treble - the $/performance difference is negative or 0.

So you are saying that J-money pads do not make a difference, but yet you have never tried them?  You really need to experience some things and then draw conclusions.....

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #6,405 of 22,116
Is HE-400 more 'open'-sounding than LCD-2 rev.2?
Is there more air, more space in sound of HE-400?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back