**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #5,176 of 22,116
Quote:
I personally think the Lyr is overkill though.

This is Head-fi dude, overkill doesn't exist here 
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #5,177 of 22,116
I mean, the HE-400 would gain very little by jumping that high up in power.

That, and paired for my distaste for tube amps... well, I'd buy an Audio-GD SS amp any day of the week over the Lyr.

I was not that impressed by the Lyr when I owned it. I understand that aspect of tube rolling, but I prefer the cleanliness, simplicity, and worry free aspect of SS amps.

I much preferred even my old NFB5 over the Lyr.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #5,178 of 22,116
I get the feeling I'd be gaining a fair bit coming from an E11 though...

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #5,179 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm not even sure the planars can get damaged at all.

The planar films on the magnepan speakers are insensitive to mistreatment and I would expect the headphones to be the same.

I wish this were the case, many maggies have suffered from delamination; wire seperating from the membrane.

Quote:
So do you guys have a stand for your HE-400? If so, what do you use?

I made my own. I started with an arc and saw that wasn't optimum. the stand in the attached photo seems to work really well. This doesn't put so much pressure on the pads

there are photos of other types of stands in my profile. The HE-400 would also be a good match for a hanging stand, I'm sure you've seen the type, base arm and arc

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #5,180 of 22,116
Noticed this just now when I picked up my headphones. Not sure if it's been like this since I bought them last month but I can't seem to get it lie flat. I hadn't taken them off until I took this picture. So I just put the velours on (went on much easier than I was expecting) and I'll worry about this bump later! Velours are comfy. :)

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #5,181 of 22,116
Quote:
Noticed this just now when I picked up my headphones. Not sure if it's been like this since I bought them last month but I can't seem to get it lie flat. I hadn't taken them off until I took this picture. So I just put the velours on (went on much easier than I was expecting) and I'll worry about this bump later! Velours are comfy. :)

Dude take that out; that foam insert is largely the reason why stock pleathers sound like crap, without it the pads are much nicer-sounding.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #5,182 of 22,116
I already took it out and set it under a coaster to flatten it out. You know I may take back what I said about the velours after just 10 minutes. Getting itchy already. I hate when velours do this. They go on all nice and soft and then 5 minutes later I'm scratching the side of my face and repositioning the cans.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #5,183 of 22,116
Quote:
I already took it out and set it under a coaster to flatten it out. You know I may take back what I said about the velours after just 10 minutes. Getting itchy already. I hate when velours do this. They go all nice and soft and then 5 minutes later I'm scratching the side of my face.

No i don't mean that you should flatten the foam insert, I mean like throw it away. The pleathers without the foam inserts has a very nice lush engaging sound signature IMO.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #5,185 of 22,116
One of my inserts look like that too, I wouldn't worry about it. I just use the velours anyways. I suck up some of the itch I get because I think it sounds better, still waiting on my person pair of J$ pads.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #5,186 of 22,116
Quote:
How is the bass on these? Would you consider them a basshead can?

I do think they can satisfy a basshead, they deliver it very nicely when the music actually has it. It's even listed in the Basshead Club thread. Infected Mushroom + HE-400 = superb bass experience in my opinion.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #5,187 of 22,116
Quote:
How is the bass on these? Would you consider them a basshead can?

They have one of the highest quality impactful bass and are very responsive to EQ, coupled with their sound signature they are indeed one of the ultimate bass cans. Of course they don't need to be labeled that and are competent enough as regular hi-fi headphones too.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #5,188 of 22,116
Yeah, the bass is sooooo rewarding. While basshead cans tend to add bass when there is none, the HE-400 treads between neutral and basshead level. Adding bass like out of the E17 +4 on bass) will make them among the best basshead cans I have heard. Only the D7000 wins for me over the HE-400. D7000 has this stellar sub bass rumble I haven't heard from anything else.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #5,189 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah, the bass is sooooo rewarding. While basshead cans tend to add bass when there is none, the HE-400 treads between neutral and basshead level. Adding bass like out of the E17 +4 on bass) will make them among the best basshead cans I have heard. Only the D7000 wins for me over the HE-400. D7000 has this stellar sub bass rumble I haven't heard from anything else.

Maybe the LCD-2 can get the very low end rumble of the D7000's.  Afterall, it's always been proclaimed to have bar none the best bass extension out of any headphone period.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #5,190 of 22,116
LCD2 = weight + leather + discomfort. I don't have high hopes for them. I'm sure I'll love their sound, but comfort comes first.

I think I'm first in line for the demo being sent out by Jason, so we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back