**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #5,161 of 22,116
Quote:

I think you're right. There seems to be a nice amount of bass at lower volumes with my PC/E11 however when I go past 6-7 on the E11 it starts to distort the bass. That nice deep rumble turns into more of a 'buzz'. I really really hope its just an amp'ing problem because I love how these sound otherwise. 

Hopefully it makes the bass much more aggresive/lively and punchy as right now it "soft and smooth" are the best way to describe its bass, which is a good thing but the quantity is lacking for some songs . I know what you mean, it instantly goes from rumble to buzz/distortion as the amp approaches its  maximum volume. I've found that turning your music players volume to like 80% (if you use foobar or whatever) helps opposed to 100% which is asking for distortion.

I just find it strange how so many people can recommend e17 for it even for EDM!  many mediocre record-quality tracks will NEED that bass EQ bump and with the volumes maxed out, it just can't power it.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #5,162 of 22,116
On the bass distortion, I have not expirienced it myself.
One thing to note is that when i run the Fiio E17 on the HE-400 off my Cowon its significantly weaker than from my laptop (USB).
I normally use 40-50 volume on Gain 12
if i want loud volume from the cowon (did not notice any distortion), and i run it on 25-35 Gain 12 on laptop when i want REAL loud volumes.

I havent myself noticed distortion so far, even using +4 BASS on the EQ.

Slowly but stedy im getting to like more these Cans.

I think the Fiio E17 runs these at what id say is a 88%+ of their total quality.

Ill have to test it with other stuff first to make sure, but ill have to wait till the 25th of january till they ship the Lyr to my local store.

My next move however is to create a semi studio like room in my house.

I have this small room where my PC will go, so i figured ill probably want to isolate it from sound. I wont be going studio like isolation since the room would be too small after that (and id have to sell a kidney or somethin), but something midclass.
This shop i talked about has a studio-like room, and the silence there is just ... well its REAL silence, not the crap we get in the city.

Edit: missread. Anyway have you maxed your volume with cowon?

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #5,163 of 22,116
Quote:

I think you're right. There seems to be a nice amount of bass at lower volumes with my PC/E11 however when I go past 6-7 on the E11 it starts to distort the bass. That nice deep rumble turns into more of a 'buzz'. I really really hope its just an amp'ing problem because I love how these sound otherwise. 

I'll have to test this with my E11 tonight.  My first listen with the HE-400 was with the E11 out of my soundcard, but I didn't crank it beyond 4-5 on the amp at the time.  The following day I received the Magni which I have been using exclusively since, and I can ensure you that out of the box (and even after some EQ'ing) I didn't notice any signs of distortion.  My guess is it is an amplification issue - the extra juice the Magni provides, for example, would probably solve that.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #5,164 of 22,116
I just find it strange how so many people can recommend e17 for it even for EDM! many mediocre record-quality tracks will NEED that bass EQ bump and with the volumes maxed out, it just can't power it.

Your setup has got to be faulty, as the E17 is not only full sounding with the HE-400 without bass boosting, but the bass controls makes them sound BRILLIANT.

I have directly compared the E17 with ODAC+SA-31, which could pump near 10watts to the HE-400. The E17 was not far off, aside from having personal gripes with the treble being a bit harsher than the ODAC+SA-31 combo. Something the E17's treble controls quickly fixed.

The E17 is not the best thing for the HE-400, but as a portable amp/dac, it'd be my first choice for them.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #5,165 of 22,116
I definitely favored the Little Dot MKIII over the E17. I felt the E17 was a little muddy but overall if they were all I had to power my HE-400 I'd still consider myself a lucky audiophile :]. I'd say somewhere around 85% is about right, maybe a bit more. Then again, I haven't went back and listened to it again since day one of owning my HE-400.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #5,166 of 22,116
I just tried listening out of the original E7 and the HE-400 sound good with no bass distortion.  20 out of 60 volume steps is plenty loud for me and 30 is really loud.  Plenty of bass even without the E7's boost.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #5,167 of 22,116
Quote:
Those are more when you change it to show 'ALL Time'. That's when the HE-400 thread is WAY behind. As far as past day, past week, past month, I'm sure the HE-400 will be consistently in the top ten, until the next big thing comes out.... maybe like the K702 Annie thread getting more new owners.
wink.gif

Given the price of admission, I think there are quite a few $400 headphones that I'd like to get my hands, and ears on. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #5,168 of 22,116
Quote:
I'll have to test this with my E11 tonight.  My first listen with the HE-400 was with the E11 out of my soundcard, but I didn't crank it beyond 4-5 on the amp at the time.  The following day I received the Magni which I have been using exclusively since, and I can ensure you that out of the box (and even after some EQ'ing) I didn't notice any signs of distortion.  My guess is it is an amplification issue - the extra juice the Magni provides, for example, would probably solve that.

Give it a shot. I've tried this on both high and low gain, with EQ boost setting 1 and 2. At a certain volume threshold, the bass distorts/buzzes. If the amp solves the problem then these cans will be excellent.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #5,169 of 22,116
Hopefully it makes the bass much more aggresive/lively and punchy as right now it "soft and smooth" are the best way to describe its bass, which is a good thing but the quantity is lacking for some songs . I know what you mean, it instantly goes from rumble to buzz/distortion as the amp approaches its  maximum volume. I've found that turning your music players volume to like 80% (if you use foobar or whatever) helps opposed to 100% which is asking for distortion.

I just find it strange how so many people can recommend e17 for it even for EDM!  many mediocre record-quality tracks will NEED that bass EQ bump and with the volumes maxed out, it just can't power it.

Sounds weird. And your setup is laptop -> usb -> E17 -> HE-400, right? Volume at laptop 100% (without ANY EQ settings) and E17 settings gain is 6/12? Atm I only use +4 bass with E17 I really could not wish for more. No distorition and just best bass ever :p

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #5,170 of 22,116
As it usually is around here, it's about the last 5-10% and what you're willing and want to pay for it. Now this is just an estimate so don't throw frozen tomatoes at me...but I'll say that the e17 will get to about 85% with the he400. For quite a few people, considering the price 85% is enough. Of course it's not enough for any us on THIS thread, but I meant enough for regular people. 
size]

Again, if the he400 were the hardest to drive hp that I own, I would not have the lyr and bf. The admission is just to high to justify the gain. Now...I'm going to listen to the he400 on my lyr and bf. 
size]

So indirectly you are telling me to get the Lyr and wait to buy go fast parts for my car?

Also guys, I am speaking with fatman (Jmoney Audio) right now as he contacted me and has much more pads than expected as well as the headbands for Grados. I could very well be another distributer for the J$ pads so do not fear for those of you waiting.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #5,172 of 22,116
I'll ask again Matt, Lyr or parts to make my car go faster? Just say it so I can order it. I need a reason. Also I am demoing LCD2s from Justin so it would be the better amp to have.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #5,173 of 22,116
The lyr is a wonderful amp under all circumstances except sensitive hp's. It will certainly make your car go faster. I have also tested the lcd2.2 with the lyr and it's superb!!

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #5,174 of 22,116
Wow, the Lyr will drive my HE-400s extremely well and make my car go faster? Holy crap! Guess I'm buying it then:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back