**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 16, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #3,211 of 22,116
Sacrificing sound quality for comfort?! Sacrilege!

:mad:

I would of bought some SFI Ortho Tweeter to replace it if i could, but couldn't find any online.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #3,214 of 22,116
Quote:
Where is the line out jack? I'm assuming it's on the top, using an NZXT, as shown in these pictures: http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom

Most likely in the back of your computer, clustered together with your other audio jacks. If Green is "headphone", then my guess is the black one.

You should be able to "re-task" your jacks also, if you wish.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #3,215 of 22,116
May i one-up you? 
tongue_smile.gif

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX  LGA1155 Motherboard  
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Storage: Sandisk 128 gb SSD
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) 
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case 
Power Supply: NZXT HALE82 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Along with a Razer Blackwidow ultimate 2013, Razer taipan, and a Yamakasi Catleap 2560 x 1440 27" LED monitor
Total was about $2750

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #3,218 of 22,116
Quote:
From what i've seen and tried, all these realtek chips have distortion at loud volumes and seem to have a limit ceiling on them. (It also depends on what drivers you use with them). Those DAC's on the motherboards are probably 1-2 dollars each, perhaps even less at bulk prices. They are preamplified going to the amp will be double amped = distortion.
He may probably not hear it with cheap headphones (razer orca, tiamat, electra, carcharias | steelseries siberia | corsair vengeance 1500| etc) as they already have some noise on them as they are not entirely quite. Im just naming a few that i own by the way, i use to be a hardcore gamer.
I simply recommended him a better solution that was worth (E17 or Schiit's cheap combo).
The line out is on the motherboard (light green). Buy a 3.5mm to rca cable (i recommended shielded ones since you are connected it to a electronic heavy device [PC])
Do not use the line out on top of the NZXT, you will hear very noticable static.
How do i know? Picture tells a thousand words.
I own a $2500 rig. I'm pretty sure i know what im talking about.

Spending lots of money is not the same thing as "knowing" anything. In fact, you might just be the sucker of the year, as far as I am concerned.

Not trying to be rude or hateful, but you sir, are incorrect. Realtek chips don't test to have "distortion at high volumes" - your headphones / speakers do. There can be gain mismatches and so on that make you hit different "ceilings" or whatever you call it with different amps / speaker systems, but no, your experience is contradicted by fact.

Your assumption that low cost = low quality is also laughable. Realtek can sell a million chips for a buck and make more money than some botique supplier with an equivalent chip - and that is economies of scale, pure and simple. High quality and low costs are good things. AMP/DAC makers only WISH they had such a cost advantage or such a huge market to serve.

the Green jack is most ALWAYS the headphone / speaker out. It is typically low impedance and higher power, and most often NOT the line you would feed into an amp. It is there to power headphones or weak low end computer speakers. With a higher end realtek set, line-outs are assignable to different tasks, and you can have, effectively, the same high impedance (=lower distortion) 1V or so output that a typical audio device might have. But that would be a black/gray jack, NOT the green one. That is the amplified output. Even though you couldn't hear the difference, it probably does "distort" more. 

My experience with onboard audio, which includes cheap as dirt computers and over-priced high end junk tells me that, for the most part, distortion is NOT a problem with things properly connected and set up.

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #3,219 of 22,116
Quote:
May i one-up you? 
tongue_smile.gif

Power Supply: NZXT HALE82 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 

Along with a Razer Blackwidow ultimate 2013, Razer taipan, and a Yamakasi Catleap 2560 x 1440 27" LED monitor
Total was about $2750

Nice specs. It's a well rounded machine for just about all workloads.

However... what soundcard/DAC are you using?

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #3,220 of 22,116
Quote:
May i one-up you? 
tongue_smile.gif

Total was about $2750

Love those Korean Thunderbolt displays. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #3,221 of 22,116
Dec 16, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #3,224 of 22,116
Quote:

Please tell me you're planning on adding a soundcard/DAC to that setup soon. You're doing yourself a disservice by running an onboard audio chip.

Well, i barely have anything headphone wise. Hell, i only have a pair of cheap IEM's at the moment. Why do you think im in this thread? :p
I've got about $500, don't know what to get with the he-400's am/dac-wise

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #3,225 of 22,116
Quote:
Well, i barely have anything headphone wise. Hell, i only have a pair of cheap IEM's at the moment. Why do you think im in this thread? :p
I've got about $500, don't know what to get with the he-400's am/dac-wise

Ah, fair enough :)

Well, it depends on your listening habits, whether it is music, gaming (casual, immersive and/or competitive?) or movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back