**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 16, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3,196 of 22,116
wje...that's an impressive complement to the k167's bass quality. Would you mind saying a few things about the mids and treble?

thanks!!

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #3,197 of 22,116
Quote:
how about the e10 would that work out alright?

also would you say the magi + modi is a noticeable jump up from e17

Since we've only seem the paper "specs" on the new Schiit gear, it is only speculation at this point.  I believe some of the first deliveries of these new components will land in the hands of the owners this coming week.  We'll then be able to get a better perspective on what kind of value vs. performance will be offered.

Given your push to spend money on headphones, yet fall within a certain price ceiling for an amplifier, I'd suggest that you might possibly consider some inner ear headphones first.  They are cheaper, and are easier to drive.  You could have your music desires met at a lower cost point.  Then, as funds permit, move onto your desired headphones with sufficient amplification and DAC capabilities that will please you and not disappoint.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #3,198 of 22,116
Quote:
wje...that's an impressive complement to the k167's bass quality. Would you mind saying a few things about the mids and treble?

thanks!!

The treble or upper frequencies are detailed - along the lines of Grado.  The mids are good, with a slight exception of the lower mids, before the real bass kicks in.  There might be a small gap in that area, as I've discussed in the K167 thread.  However, I also wonder what a slightly more dense ear pad, made of velour would do for the K167s.  That might be the "magic bullet" just like the velour pads were to the HE-400s.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3,200 of 22,116
Quote:

Since we've only seem the paper "specs" on the new Schiit gear, it is only speculation at this point.  I believe some of the first deliveries of these new components will land in the hands of the owners this coming week.  We'll then be able to get a better perspective on what kind of value vs. performance will be offered.

Given your push to spend money on headphones, yet fall within a certain price ceiling for an amplifier, I'd suggest that you might possibly consider some inner ear headphones first.  They are cheaper, and are easier to drive.  You could have your music desires met at a lower cost point.  Then, as funds permit, move onto your desired headphones with sufficient amplification and DAC capabilities that will please you and not disappoint.

haha.. i do have the ie8's which is all i use these days even at home, i think my stinginess with regards to amps may have been what lead me to get bored of my dt770s so fast

I just don't believe in expensive amps yet, ive read comments that e10 is good with the 400s.. so why not? bang for buck.. just wanted some confirmation

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #3,201 of 22,116
The best bang for the buck on the he400 is the e17. Flexible usage, hardware EQ, very portable, decent dac, three gains levels and can be had for $100 used here. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #3,202 of 22,116
Quote:

Darth, you may have the equivalent of a Asus Xonar card built in, if your MoBo is the "republic of gamers" edition that a quick google search revealed. There is also effort, in that case, to provide better than normal S/N and isolation of the audio stream.

Personally, I would get the phones first and try them with your onboard audio, which uses a very good TI OpAmp and can drive higher impedance headphones. In most cases, people need to take control of their audio settings in Windows, which, oft ignored, sound like crap on high end headphones by default. The main offense is usually DSP stuff that is great for cheap speakers, but needs to be shut off for hi-fi! Then, if you don't find it to your liking, I would get the Magni and save money on the DAC, which I doubt will make a world of difference in your sound.

Indeed, i have the Asus Maximus V Formula mobo, which has all this "ROG" stuff on it. But if it's the equivalent of an asus xonar, im kinda impressed....
So i think i'll get the phones for now.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3,203 of 22,116
Quote:
If you don't have a DAC, i recommend both the modi and magni as a desktop/laptop pair. (But if you're on the move a lot with the laptop, i recommend the Fiio E17)
Without a standalone DAC, the sound from the realtek chip via 3.5mm to RCA on the magni will sound very distorted. So if you have a HE-400 in hand, buy the magni and hear it for yourself. The DAC makes worlds difference.

Ummmmmmm What?

First off, I use a similar realtek chipset. There is NO distortion from the line-outs, whether I use the HEADPHONE out (32 Ohm) or the Higher impedance line out (100 Ohm) to feed in the line-in of my O2. None. If there is a distorted output from a realtek chipset I haven't heard it yet.
Second-off, all onboard sound solutions are using a combination of DAC/amplification of lineouts. So, money doesn't necessarily need to be wasted on gear which might be worse, not better, than what he is already using.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3,204 of 22,116
Quote:
Indeed, i have the Asus Maximus V Formula mobo, which has all this "ROG" stuff on it. But if it's the equivalent of an asus xonar, im kinda impressed....
So i think i'll get the phones for now.

Cool. Make sure you get a stereo 3.5mm to RCA adapter should you spring for an external amp like the Schiit. For the O2, which I use, you would just need a 3.5mm male-male connector.

Also, make sure you connect the amp using your onboard audio's "line out" jack. Although I don't seem to have an issue using my headphone jack to make the connection to the amp, that is not best practice for feeding a signal to an amp.

Chances are, you will experience an awesome sound. What is left to decide is if you can hit adaquete volumes, and of course if there is something totally awful about the sound that calls for different hardware!

L3000.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #3,205 of 22,116
Quote:
Cool. Make sure you get a stereo 3.5mm to RCA adapter should you spring for an external amp like the Schiit. For the O2, which I use, you would just need a 3.5mm male-male connector.

Also, make sure you connect the amp using your onboard audio's "line out" jack. Although I don't seem to have an issue using my headphone jack to make the connection to the amp, that is not best practice for feeding a signal to an amp.

Chances are, you will experience an awesome sound. What is left to decide is if you can hit adaquete volumes, and of course if there is something totally awful about the sound that calls for different hardware!

L3000.gif

Where is the line out jack? I'm assuming it's on the top, using an NZXT, as shown in these pictures: http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #3,206 of 22,116
how about the e10 would that work out alright?

also would you say the magi + modi is a noticeable jump up from e17

E17 was made for mainly portability in mind, even with that, they were able to make an awesome dac/amp.
However, the Magni and Modi are not very portable, they do not use batteries, so it makes them a at home couple. 'use at home" items (from all that i've auditioned) are always better than small portable stuff, unless those portable ones are extremely expensive then it might yield better performance.

You can't go wrong with either. If you're on the go, get the E17, mostly at home 80% of the time and can afford not listening to music when you're going out, get the Magni Modi combo.

Ummmmmmm What?

First off, I use a similar realtek chipset. There is NO distortion from the line-outs, whether I use the HEADPHONE out (32 Ohm) or the Higher impedance line out (100 Ohm) to feed in the line-in of my O2. None. If there is a distorted output from a realtek chipset I haven't heard it yet.
Second-off, all onboard sound solutions are using a combination of DAC/amplification of lineouts. So, money doesn't necessarily need to be wasted on gear which might be worse, not better, than what he is already using.

From what i've seen and tried, all these realtek chips have distortion at loud volumes and seem to have a limit ceiling on them. (It also depends on what drivers you use with them). Those DAC's on the motherboards are probably 1-2 dollars each, perhaps even less at bulk prices. They are preamplified going to the amp will be double amped = distortion.

He may probably not hear it with cheap headphones (razer orca, tiamat, electra, carcharias | steelseries siberia | corsair vengeance 1500| etc) as they already have some noise on them as they are not entirely quite. Im just naming a few that i own by the way, i use to be a hardcore gamer.

I simply recommended him a better solution that was worth (E17 or Schiit's cheap combo).

Where is the line out jack? I'm assuming it's on the top, using an NZXT, as shown in these pictures: http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom

The line out is on the motherboard (light green). Buy a 3.5mm to rca cable (i recommended shielded ones since you are connected it to a electronic heavy device [PC])
Do not use the line out on top of the NZXT, you will hear very noticable static.

How do i know? Picture tells a thousand words.
I own a $2500 rig. I'm pretty sure i know what im talking about.

-Timothy

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #3,209 of 22,116
^

Corsair TX HX750W
EVGA GTX 570
1TB Hard Drive
Logitech Z5500
Motorola Surfboard Modem
Steelseries QCK
Corsair H60
Creative Champion Front Panel
HE400
HE400
Schiit LYR
D-Link wireless g router

is what i can tell just by looking. I never seen that brand of case before though.

Yes. A picture is worth a thousand words. Please do tell who the Hello Kitty AKG "knock-off" headphones belong to? :D :wink:

LOL You caught me. Okay! They're not Hello Kitty. They're Razer Orca's that i spray painted red. I cut out the AKG Q701's 20FT Cable and put it on the Orca. Still is the crappiest for music i've ever heard of, but the most comfortable for gaming. (You can wear it for 10 hours straight).

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #3,210 of 22,116
Quote:
LOL You caught me. Okay! They're not Hello Kitty. They're Razer Orca's that i spray painted red. I cut out the AKG Q701's 20FT Cable and put it on the Orca. Still is the crappiest for music i've ever heard of, but the most comfortable for gaming. (You can wear it for 10 hours straight).

Sacrificing sound quality for comfort?! Sacrilege!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back