**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #2,446 of 22,116
Finally got my Q cable for these in today!
L3000.gif

But it's 2 feet longer than I ordered
frown.gif

Really no biggie with how flexible it is though, as it can just be bunched up rather than lasso'd like the stock cable needs to be if you want it shorter. 6 feet is a pretty good length to have anyways anyways, good length for my desktop setup.

Nice cable overall.

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #2,447 of 22,116
Quote:
i agree. the he-4 is a fantastic headphone, and is definitely underrated. its kind of a bummer that the 400 swooped in and took its thunder. 

HE-4 is the most unique at least.  The "half a magnet set" approach kind of kills part of what's cool about planars. But it absolutely has its fans, and fortunately is still available at most dealers I believe.

Quote:
L3000.gif

frown.gif

Really no biggie with how flexible it is though, as it can just be bunched up rather than lasso'd like the stock cable needs to be if you want it shorter. 6 feet is a pretty good length to have anyways anyways, good length for my desktop setup.

Nice cable overall.

Steve's giving out free cable lengths now?  Sign me up!
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #2,448 of 22,116
Quote:
L3000.gif

frown.gif

Nice cable overall.

How many total feet? There might be a possibly trade...
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #2,449 of 22,116
Quote:

How many total feet? There might be a possibly trade...
wink.gif

At least 6 feet, probably 2 meters.

I'm gonna stick with it though, it's still short enough to not get rolled over by my chair, and the cable is flexible enough to comfortably put it in my pocket or tie it together with a twist tie in case I feel like playing from my cowon in my pocket.

Still got to get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter for that though. They seem to be less common than the inverse, and all the one's on Amazon have negative reviews. I'll probably just grab one at Walmart or something.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2,450 of 22,116
Quote:

I'm gonna stick with it though, it's still short enough to not get rolled over by my chair, and the cable is flexible enough to comfortably put it in my pocket or tie it together with a twist tie in case I feel like playing from my cowon in my pocket.

Still got to get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter for that though. They seem to be less common than the inverse, and all the one's on Amazon have negative reviews. I'll probably just grab one at Walmart or something.

Don't spend all that money on the cable only to add a walmart adapter to the chain. Get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor-Cable-Inch/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353011078&sr=8-1&keywords=grado+1+4+to+1+8

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #2,451 of 22,116
Quote:

1/4 to 1/8 is common enough....but it's usually done as a short CABLE not just a plug.  You don't want a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter that's just a plug, the weight is highly damaging to the jack in most cases.  You want the short cable type.  Grado sells one relatively cheap.  Or Q or Blue Jeans or someone can make one. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2,452 of 22,116
Yeah I saw the Grados one, I was thinking about getting that eventually. I would rather not add a whole nother 8 inches to my cable length since I would only be using it for portable use, but that does make sense that a straight adapter would damage the plug. That's actually why they're all reviewed so low.

And as far as cables/adapters go, walmart has some decent stuff sometimes. That's where I got my RCA cables at and they're great. At any rate, it doesn't appear that they have anything of the sort for this kind of adapter.

I think I do have a RCA male to 6.3mm female which I could hook up a 3.5 to 6.3 adapter to, and then for the RCA side I have an RCA female to 3.5mm female which I could then use a 3.5 male to 3.5 male that I have to hook up to my Cowon... but I think that adds about 15 feet to my cable...

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2,453 of 22,116
You may have been better off with a cable that terminated into a 1/8 plug to use as a portable and using the adapter with your desktop setup. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #2,455 of 22,116
Quote:
You may have been better off with a cable that terminated into a 1/8 plug to use as a portable and using the adapter with your desktop setup. 

Quote:
Definitely. Quite frankly, I have no idea why I didn't order one with that.

EDIT: Ah, probably because it wasn't an option for the cable I was ordering. Although SE might have done it anyways if I asked.

I'm fairly sure he would have....

Then again, part of the advantage of the custom cable is the ability to get the 1/4 plug and the advantages that brings.  I despise 1/8" terminated cables unless it's at least the type with a screw-on 1/4" connector. 

But then I don't use full size headphones for portable use....
redface.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #2,458 of 22,116
Quote:
I had done a search for the he-400 on innerfidelity and it looks like from some of the comment results Tyll had tried he-400's and didn't want to do a review on them, these were messages from feb of this year though.

Yeah, I think I'm not going to do it. Just can't get excited enough about them.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #2,460 of 22,116
I am not sure how bias you guys are in this thread to the HE-400 :) but I am considering getting this or Beyerdynamic DT 880 600. The 880 would be easier on my wallet and plus I have a nice O2 amp + ODAC. I have heard you do not get a lot of benefit from amping the HE-400's. Thanks for your opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back