**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 10, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #18,901 of 22,116
Did you just say that MP3 are muddy and veiled but WAV is NOT?  I dont know what you have been smoking my friend, but I need to try it! Just when I thought the snake oil cable thing was the most extreme.

I meant WMA. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #18,902 of 22,116

Does your Kenwood have a loudness switch and tone controls? Is it vintage or recent build? I ran my HE-400's out of vintage amps and honestly was so impressed at the bass response that I felt it was a basshead phone for sure.

I also will second georgelai's suggestion.........I have Audeze pads on my HE-6 and after trying about 6 different pads on these and my HE-400 I like them the best by far.

It's older...probably 15 years old but it does have controls for treble and bass and subwoofer and a bass boost which just maxes out the bass with one touch of a button. I have both turned up slightly and even with bass all the way to +10 I don't know if I find these things EXTREMELY bassy. It's a good quality bass though and maybe that's the difference that I'm hearing and remembering compared to my DT 700's. Those were really really bass heavy and a booming looser bass that I'd compare to a car having four 15" subs in the back compared to a car having two 10" subs. While the 10" car isn't lacking bass, it's a completely different kinda of bass.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #18,903 of 22,116
Use Audeze LCD pads

They look sweet but no way I'm spending $80 on a pair of earpads unless they transform the HE-400 into a $1000+ headphone killer. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #18,904 of 22,116
  A song worth listening to with these cans is "My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion". I'm not a fan of her, but the clarity is amazing.

Really? I never would have thought to try a slow vocal song with the HE-400. To my ears, songs that have engaging synths and thick bass beats compliment this headphone the best. Songs like Knife Party's Internet Friends - I swear that song was made just for the HE-400. Blackmill's stuff sounds really good though them, too.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #18,905 of 22,116
Really? I never would have thought to try a slow vocal song with the HE-400. To my ears, songs that have engaging synths and thick bass beats compliment this headphone the best. Songs like Knife Party's Internet Friends - I swear that song was made just for the HE-400. Blackmill's stuff sounds really good though them, too.

Honestly, my HE-400's are my most well-rounded headphones and make most music sound fun and engaging. I might like more mids here or more bass there and can switch, but they're pretty good overall.

I've been listening to Amadou & Mariam lately and it sounds awesome through the HE-400's. Engaging, full, fun...those would be the words I would use to describe the sound.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #18,906 of 22,116
  Before I order the velours...they are going to cost me $17 shipped. Amazon has some pads from Brainwavz for a couple dollars more. Then there are the Beyerdynamic pads that are a bit more at $34 shipped. Anyone used any of these that can compare to the HiFiMan pads? Or should I just get the HiFiMans and call it a day?

Have you considered the hifiman focus pads? If you are considering spending $34, you might as well take the leap and buy the focus or focus-a pads. I am very happy with the focus-a pads. Comfy!

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #18,907 of 22,116
If I had to do it again, I would take the focus-a over the original focuspads, since they seem to eliminate more excessive treble energy

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #18,908 of 22,116
  If I had to do it again, I would take the focus-a over the original focuspads, since they seem to eliminate more excessive treble energy

Prior to purchasing the focus-a pads, I had been using an eq to eliminate the worse of the treble. I don't recall if I turned the eq off prior to testing. Something I need to test, but if true--I do not doubt your observation, yet, another benefit of the focus-a pads.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #18,909 of 22,116
jigglyp...you get your HE-400 or X2's yet? My X2's should be here tomorrow (13th). Can't wait to compare them to the HE-400.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #18,910 of 22,116

Wow that's such a great deal. I wonder how bad a refurbished one can be in a worst case scenario.

The one I got (only recently) was a demo unit as the store had no new stock left, and I preferred a physical store over shipping online. Couldn't find a scratch on it either, and of course I was offered a lowered price.

by demo, do you mean the 1st revision? 

I read somewhere, might of been in this same thread, that the HE400 1st revision were basically demos for the stores...

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #18,912 of 22,116
I'm excited to hear both your guys impressions. I also may have been impacient and bought a used pair of he-400s.

I actually just bought some, as well. They should be here this Thursday or Friday... The thing is, I bought them in Amazon (used-Like New), from some guy with good reputation, but I don't know which revision it is... I really hope I get the 2nd or 4th revisions... 
ph34r.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #18,913 of 22,116
I actually just bought some, as well. They should be here this Thursday or Friday... The thing is, I bought them in Amazon (used-Like New), from some guy with good reputation, but I don't know which revision it is... I really hope I get the 2nd or 4th revisions... :ph34r:  

The guy I got them from apparently got them in black Friday 2013. I'm guessing they will be rev 4, but I'm not sure.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #18,915 of 22,116
  by demo, do you mean the 1st revision? 

I read somewhere, might of been in this same thread, that the HE400 1st revision were basically demos for the stores...

Nope. The first revisions have the black driver support/grill thing, which can be checked once you get the pads off. The proper revisions, which are the second and fourth ones, are white. To be exact, revision 4 is essentially revision 2. Rev4 driver support is translucent white, while Rev2 are opaque white.

Here are the respective revisions with images http://www.head-fi.org/t/649464/he-400-causing-ear-fatigue#post_9127346

I checked at the store before purchase and mine are the translucent white ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back