**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 13, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #18,931 of 22,116
Does anyone else find the HE-400 actually quite comfortable in the long run ? 
The stock headband is hard on your head yes, but a simple home made wood knitted cushion/padding makes them really really comfortable at least to me. They rest really well on my head and feel like they don't move anywhere I don't need them to and I never have to take them off for comfort reasons.
I got my wool padding from my grandma, I really think everyone needs to try this out 
wink.gif

Of course I might be an exception :D

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #18,932 of 22,116
  That's a good price for sure. I paid $260 shipped for mine but I got them from a store but they are still used. Not sure to what extent. They look new so I don't know. I really like them (HE-400). Right now it's a very tough call. I also need to keep in mind that I'm still using the pleather pads on the 400 and the overwhelming consensus is that velour is a much better option so there's even room for improvement with the 400. The way the pads attach to the X2, I don't see any easy pad rolling options unless there's something offered on the market already.

Just to say again, please try them with the velours before making your decision.

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #18,933 of 22,116
  Does anyone else find the HE-400 actually quite comfortable in the long run ? 
The stock headband is hard on your head yes, but a simple home made wood knitted cushion/padding makes them really really comfortable at least to me. They rest really well on my head and feel like they don't move anywhere I don't need them to and I never have to take them off for comfort reasons.
I got my wool padding from my grandma, I really think everyone needs to try this out 
wink.gif

Of course I might be an exception :D

I honestly don't find them uncomfortable at all. A little heavy yes, but not so much that I can't wear them for hours. The pleather pads do get a little hot after a while but velour will take care of that issue and sound better to boot. But this is coming from someone that doesn't think Grados are uncomfortable either...lol

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #18,934 of 22,116
  Just to say again, please try them with the velours before making your decision.

Yeah, I will. They are close enough that I owe it to them to try velours. That might be what pushed the HE-400 over the top. I really want to like the X2 more though...lol...they just look nicer, feel better on my head, and I really like the cable compared to the HE-400. But...I'm definitely letting my ears make the decision for me because those things I just mentioned aren't important enough to sacrifice a better sounding headphone for. Now if it turns into an honest to goodness tie...well...those will be my tie breaker for sure....haha

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #18,935 of 22,116
  Yeah, I will. They are close enough that I owe it to them to try velours. That might be what pushed the HE-400 over the top. I really want to like the X2 more though...lol...they just look nicer, feel better on my head, and I really like the cable compared to the HE-400. But...I'm definitely letting my ears make the decision for me because those things I just mentioned aren't important enough to sacrifice a better sounding headphone for. Now if it turns into an honest to goodness tie...well...those will be my tie breaker for sure....haha

Perhaps I missed it, but what are the current pros/cons of each when it comes to sound only (not design or comfort)?

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #18,936 of 22,116
Well...so far I'm finding that the HE-400 has excellent bass. Not bloated at all. It's a good quality bass. But I wouldn't say these are bass head cans by any means but someone that really likes bass but wants to take a couple steps up and away from a pure bass head headphone I think would like the bass the HE-400 has. Mids are nice, slightly recessed IMO. Treble is pretty forward. Can get hot now and then but really never to the point that Ive needed to eq it...yet.

The X2 has awesome bass as well. I'd say similar in quality and perhaps slightly more in quantity. The mids are smooth and lush and there's lots of it.The X2 is on the warm side of things for sure. Treble is a little recessed but at the same time these things get a bit bright at times. More so than the HE-400. There's been a few times so far that they made me wince a little. I've read these really respond to burn-in and at least 10 hours is needed. Now whether you (the reader) believe in this or not, that's up to you. I'll find out in about 10 hours if it is indeed true and I'll definitely report back.

So really, to this point, it's really a tie IMO. They are equal but different. So at this point it's a matter of which signature I like. Bass with great highs...or bass with smooth mids. The true test will be when I get new earpads for the HE-400 and I get 10+ hours on the X2.

I also want to try them both on my other amps. Right now I'm running them off my Kenwood stereo receiver. I have a cMoy and a Little Dot 1+ as well. I'm not sure if they will have the juice to power the HE-400 since they seem a little harder to drive but I'll find out tonight or tomorrow. I really want to get a new nicer solid state amp soon, something that can put out some decent power, but it'll have to wait a little bit. Maybe I'll grab something at tax return time.

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #18,938 of 22,116

Agreed. The velours over the pleather gave the sound signature a bit more oomph. <-- technical term
L3000.gif

That's about as technical a term as I can understand so I can appreciate that...lol

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #18,939 of 22,116
Velour pads ordered. Just went with the cheap $10 ones for now. If I keep the HE-400 I'll splurge for the FocusPad-A later on.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #18,940 of 22,116
  Velour pads ordered. Just went with the cheap $10 ones for now. If I keep the HE-400 I'll splurge for the FocusPad-A later on.

I tried the velours from my friend's 500 on my 400 very briefly. The bass seemed to have more impact and presence. I also felt the trebles were slightly less bright as well.

I received my Focus-A Pads yesterday. So far I am loving them. They are extremely soft, but after a while the clamping force of the headphones becomes a bit straining and I have to readjust. For sound, the bass is slightly less impactful, but it is snappier. The highs are more detailed but less bright and overpowering. 

I'd still like to personally compare the Focus-A to the Focus, but I really don't want to spend another $40 on pads and another $6 for the shipping. Maybe I'll talk my buddy to order them for his 500 so I can compare them :p

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #18,943 of 22,116
It's silly that hifiman put very little time and effort in designing their pads for the he-400 and he-500. There's  a whole lot of engineering that is going in the pads. Try the for example the LCD-2 without their specially made pads, it will sound very much off. The he-400 should never have been shipped with pleather pads, its ridiculous.

You are pretty much forced to put out $40 + shipping for the focus pads or the velour.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #18,944 of 22,116

I also want to try them both on my other amps. Right now I'm running them off my Kenwood stereo receiver. I have a cMoy and a Little Dot 1+ as well. I'm not sure if they will have the juice to power the HE-400 since they seem a little harder to drive but I'll find out tonight or tomorrow. I really want to get a new nicer solid state amp soon, something that can put out some decent power, but it'll have to wait a little bit. Maybe I'll grab something at tax return time.

Power-wise, those amps should be fine for the HE-400. My iPhone drives them just fine, they definitely sound a bit better with a powerful amp though.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #18,945 of 22,116
O.k. So there´s a general consensus that the Focus-A pads are the best for improve the quality sound reducing the sibilance?

If that it´s correct, I will try and buy this pads, but only if it´s a real improvement in the sound signature. I already have the velours, and very pleased with that, but if I can reduce a Little the sibilance without loss any datail it´s perfect for me.

Greetings from Spain.

P.D: I asume Head-direct sends to Europe, am I right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back