**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 9, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #18,887 of 22,116
  BTW, what are you driving them with?

My Kenwood stereo receiver at the moment. I'm about to switch some wires around and try some stuff with my Litte Dot and my cMoy headphone amps. Power is definitely not an issue with the receiver....just not sure it's the best thing to power these headphones. I do need to get a better amp someday...I've been kinda looking around and reading up on some stuff. I'd like to eventually take the plunge into more of a mid-fi range amp instead of playing around with these cheap entry level amps although I do love my LD and it pairs so well with my Grados. That one won't ever leave my desk, but I'd like to add a really nice amp to the lineup as well. Probably solid state since I don't have the patience or money to screw around with tubes. I have the perfect tubes for my LD right now...it'll be a real sad day when they burn out since they are not easy to get a hold of nor are they cheap.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #18,889 of 22,116
  You're not the only one! I use a JVC receiver and so far it's working fine.

Yeah, it's quite powerful and honestly sounds really good. With my Grados it sounds as good if not better than my cMoy which is a great little amp. The LD is a different beast since it's a bit warmer so the sound is different but not better...just different. That's why I figure at this point, I won't really find anything better until I jump up a tier or two and honestly, there really might not be any need to make that jump. I mean in all honesty there wasn't any good reason for my to get new headphones, but we all know how this works and it's inevitable...we might think we are content but there's comes the day when we start to wonder....next thing you know....there's something new and shiny on the table or on our head.  

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #18,890 of 22,116
Before I order the velours...they are going to cost me $17 shipped. Amazon has some pads from Brainwavz for a couple dollars more. Then there are the Beyerdynamic pads that are a bit more at $34 shipped. Anyone used any of these that can compare to the HiFiMan pads? Or should I just get the HiFiMans and call it a day?

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #18,891 of 22,116
  It's a genre of music. Like house, trap, dubstep lol. Generic EDM is pretty terrible, but some stuff is pretty good.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AxcX-6E0zQ

Pretty good but not my cup of tea so it's hard to really say how these did with that. Not sure how it's supposed to sound but it sounded good. Something kinda similar that really sounds good with these are the Gorillaz. Just listened to a couple of their tracks and it was nice, even through youtube.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #18,892 of 22,116

Pretty good but not my cup of tea so it's hard to really say how these did with that. Not sure how it's supposed to sound but it sounded good. Something kinda similar that really sounds good with these are the Gorillaz. Just listened to a couple of their tracks and it was nice, even through youtube.

I agree..not the greatest example of electronic music, I just picked a channel I knew I liked and linked a song haha. Gahh I can't wait to get my cans, I like the Gorillaz alot. I can't wait to listen to them so I can form my own opinion.

Many consider them a basshead can, and you're impressions are completely the opposite. That just shows how divisive the opinions on the HE-400s are.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #18,893 of 22,116
I used to have a pair of DT 770 Pros....the bass they easily beat the bass of the HE-400 so that's kinda my personal benchmark for bass heavy headphones.

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #18,895 of 22,116
  I used to have a pair of DT 770 Pros....the bass they easily beat the bass of the HE-400 so that's kinda my personal benchmark for bass heavy headphones.

Yeah but bass is the only part of the frequency range the DT770s have. 
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #18,896 of 22,116
Before I order the velours...they are going to cost me $17 shipped. Amazon has some pads from Brainwavz for a couple dollars more. Then there are the Beyerdynamic pads that are a bit more at $34 shipped. Anyone used any of these that can compare to the HiFiMan pads? Or should I just get the HiFiMans and call it a day?

Two things to note about the Beyerdynamic pads. While they are very comfy, they are too small for the HE-400. You'll have to trim the edge of the plastic mounting rings that come in the stock pleather pads for them to fit. Also, they don't come with the fabric mesh on the back of the pad like the stock ones that cover the exposed driver. You'd need to add your own.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #18,898 of 22,116
Did you just say that MP3 are muddy and veiled but WAV is NOT?  I dont know what you have been smoking my friend, but I need to try it! Just when I thought the snake oil cable thing was the most extreme.

Quote:
  No...I can tell a difference on a lot of the songs I have that are MP3. They sound muddy and veiled. When I switch to something that's WAV (all I have since I'm using Windows Media Player) the sound is crisp and unveiled. I'd usually agree and even with my Grados and ER-4S's I don't notice a difference. But with these, for some reason, many of the MP3's sound like crap. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #18,899 of 22,116
My Kenwood stereo receiver at the moment. I'm about to switch some wires around and try some stuff with my Litte Dot and my cMoy headphone amps. Power is definitely not an issue with the receiver....just not sure it's the best thing to power these headphones. I do need to get a better amp someday...I've been kinda looking around and reading up on some stuff. I'd like to eventually take the plunge into more of a mid-fi range amp instead of playing around with these cheap entry level amps although I do love my LD and it pairs so well with my Grados. That one won't ever leave my desk, but I'd like to add a really nice amp to the lineup as well. Probably solid state since I don't have the patience or money to screw around with tubes. I have the perfect tubes for my LD right now...it'll be a real sad day when they burn out since they are not easy to get a hold of nor are they cheap.

Does your Kenwood have a loudness switch and tone controls? Is it vintage or recent build? I ran my HE-400's out of vintage amps and honestly was so impressed at the bass response that I felt it was a basshead phone for sure.

I also will second georgelai's suggestion.........I have Audeze pads on my HE-6 and after trying about 6 different pads on these and my HE-400 I like them the best by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back