**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 13, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #18,557 of 22,116
In my experience, yes. I find the DT770 (pro version) quite light and comfy. The first time I owned the HE400, I couldn't find them comfortable. Velours pads helped but it wasn't enough. I tried for a long time, but eventually sold them. I just rebought them, but this time with Focus-A Pads and they make a lot of difference. I still need to add additional padding to the headband for me to keep them on, but doing so makes them actually comfortable to wear. Still rather heavy, but totally doable for me. So, they can be comfy, but you need different pads (Focus-A cost $40) plus some headband cushioning. Otherwise, they will not come close to the 770s in comfort.

I suggest you try Lohb's solution to the headband.  It really solves any headband problems. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #18,558 of 22,116
  what pads are these?

They are the Audeze Vegan pads.  Verrrrrrrrrrrrrryy comfy.  I use the leather version of them and love them on my HE-6.  Those pads, along with Lohb's headband pad, make the comfort way better than stock.

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #18,559 of 22,116
Just read your comparison, thanks. I disagree with your statement regarding the velour pads , I feel they are "u-shaped sound" on steroids , and the focus pads makes them closed in and kind of dull. 

Quote:
I did an in-depth comparison here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/731125/looking-for-gaming-headphones-is-the-he-400-overkill#post_10820436

Which treble is better depends alot on your personal preferences, amp pairing and pad choices for the HE400. Overall, I would say that the HE400 would be considered the better headphone by about 90% of listeners for music. The DT990 is a great alternative if you plan on using the headphone mostly for gaming, as it is far lighter, more comfortable and has a fun v-shaped sound.

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #18,560 of 22,116
I'm looking to upgrade to a new open pair from my ATH-M50s, which are the highest-end headphones I own or have ever listened to. My current #1 choice are the Fidelio X2's due to the great reviews and because a local store has them on sale for 250€, but I may not be able to buy them before the sale is over. Which brings me to option #2, the HE-400's, which are currently priced at 300€. In order of importance, my main uses for them would be video games, metal music and lastly, electronic music. The HE-400's left an impression me based on looks alone - I know some people consider them ugly, but the kind of big, hefty design sported by these headphones, especially the big pads, is exactly what I like. I've seen people mention comfort issues as the main caveat, but considering I've been using the M50s for a good while, it shouldn't be too big of an issue. So let's say I want a good soudstage with ample bass and no fatiguing treble. How would these handle the job? I have no dedicated DAC or amps besides my Xonar DG.

I'm a bit of a newcomer when it comes to audiphile gear, in case it wasn't exceedingly obvious.

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #18,562 of 22,116
  I'm looking to upgrade to a new open pair from my ATH-M50s, which are the highest-end headphones I own or have ever listened to. My current #1 choice are the Fidelio X2's due to the great reviews and because a local store has them on sale for 250€, but I may not be able to buy them before the sale is over. Which brings me to option #2, the HE-400's, which are currently priced at 300€. In order of importance, my main uses for them would be video games, metal music and lastly, electronic music. The HE-400's left an impression me based on looks alone - I know some people consider them ugly, but the kind of big, hefty design sported by these headphones, especially the big pads, is exactly what I like. I've seen people mention comfort issues as the main caveat, but considering I've been using the M50s for a good while, it shouldn't be too big of an issue. So let's say I want a good soudstage with ample bass and no fatiguing treble. How would these handle the job? I have no dedicated DAC or amps besides my Xonar DG.

I'm a bit of a newcomer when it comes to audiphile gear, in case it wasn't exceedingly obvious.

Also consider the Beyer DT990. I have both the HE400 and the DT990 pro and for EDM and gaming, the DT990 are awesome, more comfy than HE400 by some distance and at least where I am, much cheaper too.

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #18,563 of 22,116

Also consider the Beyer DT990. I have both the HE400 and the DT990 pro and for EDM and gaming, the DT990 are awesome, more comfy than HE400 by some distance and at least where I am, much cheaper too.

Now that you mention it, I did look them up earlier and they seem quite promising. I could get them for 150€, which is a very attractive price. My only concern is whether they'll be a real upgrade from my M50s. I want that 'woah' feeling.

Maybe I'll do some reading in the DT990 thread as well.

Edit: oh right, those would require me to invest in an amp. I'm leaning towards the Fidelio X2's again.

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #18,564 of 22,116
  Now that you mention it, I did look them up earlier and they seem quite promising. I could get them for 150€, which is a very attractive price. My only concern is whether they'll be a real upgrade from my M50s. I want that 'woah' feeling.

Maybe I'll do some reading in the DT990 thread as well.

Edit: oh right, those would require me to invest in an amp. I'm leaning towards the Fidelio X2's again.

These obviously do well with an amp but I am able to run these ampless out of my galaxy s3 and Dualshock 4. Even with something like the Fiio E11k or Fulla Schiit, you would be under budget.

now if you are looking at the 600 ohm model, then that's another thing!

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #18,566 of 22,116
They are the Audeze Vegan pads.  Verrrrrrrrrrrrrryy comfy.  I use the leather version of them and love them on my HE-6.  Those pads, along with Lohb's headband pad, make the comfort way better than stock.

Ah ha, didn't think of that. How do the vegans effect the FR of the HE-400?

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #18,567 of 22,116
A circle of drawer liner ear-side under the ear-pad may help with that ragged treble. Saw this material used ear-side on T50-RP/TH-600.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #18,568 of 22,116
The HE-400 with the velour pads has the most bass impact of any headphone I've ever heard, it's so visceral that you can feel it against your head, it's like a vibrator attached to your head. Is this happening because the velour pads are very stiff?

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #18,569 of 22,116
  The HE-400 with the velour pads has the most bass impact of any headphone I've ever heard, it's so visceral that you can feel it against your head, it's like a vibrator attached to your head. Is this happening because the velour pads are very stiff?

Damn dude, how loud are you listening? xD

I've tried the velours and the J$ lambskins and I've never had a head-thumping experience. I didn't think that was possible with an open headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back