**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #18,573 of 22,116

Yes, the wiz khalifa song is very bassy too, a lot of bass.

I've been wanting to get a pair of bass cannons just to see what they sound like. Like these monsters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa3sAg4wOpw#t=245

I'm not sure I want to put my head in there 
basshead.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #18,575 of 22,116

Head-fi has generally middle-aged men as audience I think, and hiphop and bassy music isn't what they listen to so recommendations here are a bit skewed.

As much as a big fan of HE400's bass as I am, if you are hearing rumbles and head thumping experience, you have either forgotten to turn off the extreme bass EQ off or you are listening to them at max volume from a vintage amp which is quite worrying for your ears...

EDIT: NVM, I kinda agree you can get some "thump" albeit it is still on a volume which isn't great for our ears.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #18,579 of 22,116
  Now that you mention it, I did look them up earlier and they seem quite promising. I could get them for 150€, which is a very attractive price. My only concern is whether they'll be a real upgrade from my M50s. I want that 'woah' feeling.

Maybe I'll do some reading in the DT990 thread as well.

Edit: oh right, those would require me to invest in an amp. I'm leaning towards the Fidelio X2's again.

I think if you got the HE-400, you'd probably get the 'woah' feeling, but when it wears away, you'll probably get sick of the fatiguing treble like I did (even with focus pads). For a longer-term investment  (and a longer term 'woah'), I'd go for the 400i, or the 500. I don't have experience with the 500, but I know the 400i is better than an amped 400 when running off of my iMac G5. I get the feeling the 500 needs amping a little more, but the 500 sound sig would also probably fit your musical tastes better.
Edit: I will say that I like both equally for metal and I like the 400i for electronic, its speed and portrayal of textures will almost certainly blow you away for electronic

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #18,580 of 22,116
I'm curious to hear a Fidelio X2 so I can compare them to the HE400. I read that the X2 has more sub-bass than an HD650 with a little clearer highs, and my HD650 feels in a similar ballpark as the HE400 (at east with FocusPad A).

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #18,581 of 22,116
  I think if you got the HE-400, you'd probably get the 'woah' feeling, but when it wears away, you'll probably get sick of the fatiguing treble like I did (even with focus pads). For a longer-term investment  (and a longer term 'woah'), I'd go for the 400i, or the 500. I don't have experience with the 500, but I know the 400i is better than an amped 400 when running off of my iMac G5. I get the feeling the 500 needs amping a little more, but the 500 sound sig would also probably fit your musical tastes better.
Edit: I will say that I like both equally for metal and I like the 400i for electronic, its speed and portrayal of textures will almost certainly blow you away for electronic

I ended up going with the X2's, they seem like the safest bet. Thanks for the input though.

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #18,584 of 22,116

I haven't tried the newer models but all you need is Jergpads. Without Jergpads, my HE400s are unbearable whereas with them, it is completely fine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back