**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #16,696 of 22,116
The 598s may be a bit slow but they are definitely not out of their league in the company of the HE400s. Both headphones have a place in my collection. For metal, most harder-hitting EDM and some larger scale orchestral stuff, I'd reach for the HE400s. For slower rock, prog rock, small scale jazz, chamber music, acoustic/vocal stuff, I'd go with the 598s. 598s for gaming too.

The Hifimans are impressive played loud with loud music and have a brilliant, textured bass, but they don't have the liquid smooth midrange of the 598s, nor the comfort or soundstage.

I agree 100%.  I had 595's, which I would imagine are pretty similar to the 598's, and aside from losing in bass, they were excellent cans that I wouldn't trade for he-400's.  that said, there would be room for both.

but with my hd-650's sound like my old 595's, only with better bass, and better in every way, there's no point for me to touch the he-400's.  the sub-bass is all i gained.  the echo'ing in the cups, and the harsh highs killed it for me.  modifying them to get them tolerable isn't an option.  what if i do the mods and still don't like them?  then i won't be able to return them.  hence why they're going to the ups store today.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #16,697 of 22,116
The 598s may be a bit slow but they are definitely not out of their league in the company of the HE400s. Both headphones have a place in my collection. For metal, most harder-hitting EDM and some larger scale orchestral stuff, I'd reach for the HE400s. For slower rock, prog rock, small scale jazz, chamber music, acoustic/vocal stuff, I'd go with the 598s. 598s for gaming too.

The Hifimans are impressive played loud with loud music and have a brilliant, textured bass, but they don't have the liquid smooth midrange of the 598s, nor the comfort or soundstage.

I agree 100%.  I had 595's, which I would imagine are pretty similar to the 598's, and aside from losing in bass, they were excellent cans that I wouldn't trade for he-400's.  that said, there would be room for both.

but with my hd-650's sound like my old 595's, only with better bass, and better in every way, there's no point for me to touch the he-400's.  the sub-bass is all i gained.  the echo'ing in the cups, and the harsh highs killed it for me.  modifying them to get them tolerable isn't an option.  what if i do the mods and still don't like them?  then i won't be able to return them.  hence why they're going to the ups store today.

Do bear in mind that coming from the 'Sennheiser sound' to the Hifimans takes some adjusting (brain burn in). It took me a few months to adjust, my main cans having been the 598s until then. Just like I would never get rid of the Senns, I also can't see myself getting rid of the HE400s now either. I don't believe you've give them enough time, but I don't blame you for getting rid - I nearly did. My god, the HE400s can do some impressive **** if given the chance - honestly.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #16,698 of 22,116
Mar 8, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #16,699 of 22,116
Do bear in mind that coming from the 'Sennheiser sound' to the Hifimans takes some adjusting (brain burn in). It took me a few months to adjust, my main cans having been the 598s until then. Just like I would never get rid of the Senns, I also can't see myself getting rid of the HE400s now either. I don't believe you've give them enough time, but I don't blame you for getting rid - I nearly did. My god, the HE400s can do some impressive **** if given the chance - honestly.

Doing side by side listening, I did get to hear the power of the HE-400's on technical stuff.  They're fast.  Accurate.  Sound great despite having a tiny soundstage.  BUT.... I can't get over the echo'ing in the cup.  Hopefully Audeze cans don't have that problem because I think a set of them might be in my collection in the near future.

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #16,701 of 22,116

All the mods (pads, grill) can be reversed. You would have to buy new pleather pads to replace the pair you sacrificed though.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #16,703 of 22,116
If you mean Vali/modi, that is the best of what you've listed in my opinion. The Vali is an outstanding budget amp and one of the best I've heard. There is some slight issues with microphonics but honestly I didn't find it very bothersome.

gL!!

Matt

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #16,704 of 22,116
  If you mean Vali/modi, that is the best of what you've listed in my opinion. The Vali is an outstanding budget amp and one of the best I've heard. There is some slight issues with microphonics but honestly I didn't find it very bothersome.

gL!!

Matt

Yeah, I meant Vali/Modi.  Typo.

Thanks for the input.  I appreciate it.

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #16,705 of 22,116
The he400 at the new reduced price, plus Vali/Modi is ridiculously good at around $500 for the package. Stupid good really. Mod the velours into jergpads and sit back and laugh at the thousands the rest of us are spending. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #16,706 of 22,116
I'm having the hardest time deciding on a dac/amp combo for my HE-400s.  Has anyone used an Audio-GD NFB-15.32 with these headphones?  How does it compare to other dac/amps?

The main reason I'm interested in this dac/amp is that it'd be nice to be able to use the optical-in port with my PC so that I could still get my surround sound game features of my soundcard while gaming, but I don't want to sacrifice quality for this feature since the main use of the headphones would be for music.

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #16,707 of 22,116
I like most of the Audio GD products and have owned quite a few of them. They have good clean power and use nice onboard dacs. If you can find a good deal on the 15.32 I'd say go for it. The power from these amps seems to work with planar magnetic hp's. 

I'm a big fan of optical connection dac to pc. This helped me eliminate my issue with usb jitter. And I think it sounds a little better IMO. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #16,708 of 22,116
  They don't echo in the cup.  If you look at their waterfall plots they have very fast decay with minimal ringing issues.  

Maybe they don't look like that, but what accounts for the tunnel like effect of the sound on them? Sounds like you are listening to sound in a storm drain (well not that dramatic but slightly like that). Since I'm not the only one noticing it, I'm curious about what might be the technical reasons. It's especially noticeable when I came back to the 400's from any of my other headphones.

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #16,709 of 22,116
Are you listening to the HE-400 with pleather pads on?  While they're not particularly ringy with pleahters, they do sound hollow.  With velours they sound more fleshed out.  

If you're listening with velours, it could just be the coloration of the midrange.  The lower midrange is full and upfront while the upper midrange/lower treble is recessed.  Sennheisers are more linear throughout the midrange.  I particularly don't find them echo-ey sounding on Velours compared to Sennheisers or other more linear headphones.  

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #16,710 of 22,116
  The he400 at the new reduced price, plus Vali/Modi is ridiculously good at around $500 for the package. Stupid good really. Mod the velours pleathers into jergpads and sit back and laugh at the thousands the rest of us are spending. 

Just a slight correction in your post Matt to avoid any confusion for new comers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back