**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 9, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #16,711 of 22,116
after listening to my Bottlehead Crack today for about 10~12 hours I decided to roll different tube and when I turned back my amp I could here LOUD pop (headphones were hanging on my stand-thank god ) ..now only one channel works ..does that means this cans are toast ?? 

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #16,712 of 22,116
after listening to my Bottlehead Crack today for about 10~12 hours I decided to roll different tube and when I turned back my amp I could here LOUD pop (headphones were hanging on my stand-thank god ) ..now only one channel works ..does that means this cans are toast ?? 
O.o
You could always try the headphone out of an iPod or something to see. That's really weird tho. Don't panick too much though...I'm sure hifiman will treat you we'll as they did to davidsh

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #16,713 of 22,116

Just a slight correction in your post Matt to avoid any confusion for new comers.

Thank you sir!

You were listening to the he400 with the crack? Sounds like a problem with the amp and not the hp's. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #16,714 of 22,116
looking at the jergmod page, looks like Hifiman is discontinuing their current pads and going to be releasing new ones? Will be interesting to see how new ones compare to old and to the jergmod.

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #16,716 of 22,116
I'm going to assume you misread there TM
This reminds me tho, I really should order a pair of velours and give them a try.  Never had any complaints about the pleathers, but for only 10 I should give something else a try too.

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #16,718 of 22,116
  I'm going to assume you misread there TM
This reminds me tho, I really should order a pair of velours and give them a try.  Never had any complaints about the pleathers, but for only 10 I should give something else a try too.

Oh yea. 
redface.gif

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #16,719 of 22,116
  Are you listening to the HE-400 with pleather pads on?  While they're not particularly ringy with pleahters, they do sound hollow.  With velours they sound more fleshed out.  

If you're listening with velours, it could just be the coloration of the midrange.  The lower midrange is full and upfront while the upper midrange/lower treble is recessed.  Sennheisers are more linear throughout the midrange.  I particularly don't find them echo-ey sounding on Velours compared to Sennheisers or other more linear headphones.  

Funny you should ask. I got the velours a few days ago and agree. They do help with the tunnel effect. I don't want to blow this out of proportion. While I enjoy the HD650's a bit more on average, they 400's have their place on my desk and do shine in many areas..:) I don't want people reading my posts getting the impression that the 400's are "terrible tunnel y headphones argh!!!"

I have not fallen in love with the sound change with the velour yet. It has helped the tunnel effect but I sort of miss the tonal balance of the pleathers..there could also be a lot of variation in my hearing over the times of day and listening fatigue and all sorts of other things coming into play though.

A couple of days ago I even removed the outer grills as some people mentioned it opened up the sound stage of the 400's a lot. My first reaction was pretty negative. They lost a lot of their presence. Ended up putting the grills back on in about 45 minutes. I may try again though.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #16,720 of 22,116
I wanted to thank all the guys that told me to keep listening to the HE 400. I probably need some time to get use to the sound of new headphones.

-The vocals are much less intimate than the ones on the Senn HD 598, sometimes they even have less extension but overall have a better clarity and imaging and stay on focus even in songs with a lot of instruments and fast sound (The Senn have a more warm and laid back Vocals but sometimes they tend to "fuse" with other sounds, making them "confusing"). Vocals apart, the mids have a nice clarity (more than the HD 598) but some instrument like cymbals, flute, violin, cello and more seam to lack a bit in extension (maybe due to the high mids? I don't know but the details are still there).

-As I said before I only listened to the HE-400 with the velour pads and I didn't notice any echo sound or harsh High that a lot of people are hearing (maybe I'm not prone or sensitive to these effects) even though Highs are really presents and if you turn up the volume sometimes they are a bit annoying but nothing major. 

-The bass in the HE 400 is neutral overall (somebody describes them as boomy, dark or even muddy), I wouldn't describe their bass in any of this way, first is not boomy 'cause it simply don't kick hard unless you turn up the volume (than you start to feel a nice kick still don't imagine an overpowered bass) but than you would hear highs and mids too present and unless you like bright listening session you wouldn't find yourself often going over 80 db, second is not dark because It never invade the mid-range or obscure the sound at all, third it's not muddy because as I wrote before it never invades the mids, it never covers other sounds and it's FAST and CLEAR.   

- The sound stage is somewhat weird, in certain recordings it defeats the HD 598 and in different one it doesn't. Overall it's pretty decent and thanks to the imaging and detail I think it's a step above from the HD 598. A lot of people are lamenting about a "tunnel" effect and in mine headphone is absolutely not present (fortunately), in my very little experience with equalization and sound tweaking using software I accused a tunnel effect (not with the HE 400) when messing up with the bass and mid range by tuning them up, so maybe you could solve this problem with some eq settings.

The HE 400 are very responsive to equalization so don't tune up them too much or you'll start to hear a lot of artifacts and unnatural sounds (under-water effect, woo sounds, and stuff like that). I tried a few foobar presets that i found in this thread but they always made the sound awkward and I wasn't able to try any of the electri-q presets because every time I try to load a preset with the electri-q foobar plugin it crushes.   

The HE 400 respond very well with dolby or THX tuning via software, improving dramatically their sound stage and making the vocals more present and warm without making them sound weird. If you want to watch a blue-ray the HE 400 are much better than the HD 598. If you try to apply any of those effects to the HD 598 you'll hear a lot of artifact in the vocals and a weird sound stage (almost like the vocals are filtered using a can). 

-Comfort wise the HE-400 don't excel but are not terrible either. The weight is tolerable (I can wear them for several hours without any pain), I only felt they were a bit annoying just once, after 5 hours no stop of wearing them (and before I had a terrible workout so I was already sore and tired) so if you don't have a weak neck you shouldn't mind the weight. Clamping force is decent but not annoying and if it was less then the headphones will probably "fell on your ear" due to their weight. Most of the discomfort I feel is because of their velour pads (I didn't try the pleather ear pads), the pads are a bit tiny for my ear and the velour itself is made of some sort of synthetic material that don't breath at all so if you have a sensitive skin (e.g. if you are a woman or if you are prone to irritations or dermatitis) I suggest you to find some replacement.   

If anybody knows some ear pads compatible with the HE 400 please let me know. I read somewhere that there are some denon pads compatible but I'd prefer velour pads for the comfort. I'm not a DIY guy so I can't make them, I can barely swap ear pads XD.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #16,721 of 22,116
I cannot believe the prices of used he400's on the forums right now. Absolute STEALS.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #16,722 of 22,116
Mar 10, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #16,723 of 22,116
Both are incredible bargains. Especially when there is so much unknown about the new versions coming out. Will they be a homerun out of the gate or will they need a revision to iron out the wrinkles. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #16,725 of 22,116
  I wanted to thank all the guys that told me to keep listening to the HE 400. I probably need some time to get use to the sound of new headphones.

-The vocals are much less intimate than the ones on the Senn HD 598, sometimes they even have less extension but overall have a better clarity and imaging and stay on focus even in songs with a lot of instruments and fast sound (The Senn have a more warm and laid back Vocals but sometimes they tend to "fuse" with other sounds, making them "confusing"). Vocals apart, the mids have a nice clarity (more than the HD 598) but some instrument like cymbals, flute, violin, cello and more seam to lack a bit in extension (maybe due to the high mids? I don't know but the details are still there).

-As I said before I only listened to the HE-400 with the velour pads and I didn't notice any echo sound or harsh High that a lot of people are hearing (maybe I'm not prone or sensitive to these effects) even though Highs are really presents and if you turn up the volume sometimes they are a bit annoying but nothing major. 

-The bass in the HE 400 is neutral overall (somebody describes them as boomy, dark or even muddy), I wouldn't describe their bass in any of this way, first is not boomy 'cause it simply don't kick hard unless you turn up the volume (than you start to feel a nice kick still don't imagine an overpowered bass) but than you would hear highs and mids too present and unless you like bright listening session you wouldn't find yourself often going over 80 db, second is not dark because It never invade the mid-range or obscure the sound at all, third it's not muddy because as I wrote before it never invades the mids, it never covers other sounds and it's FAST and CLEAR.   

- The sound stage is somewhat weird, in certain recordings it defeats the HD 598 and in different one it doesn't. Overall it's pretty decent and thanks to the imaging and detail I think it's a step above from the HD 598. A lot of people are lamenting about a "tunnel" effect and in mine headphone is absolutely not present (fortunately), in my very little experience with equalization and sound tweaking using software I accused a tunnel effect (not with the HE 400) when messing up with the bass and mid range by tuning them up, so maybe you could solve this problem with some eq settings.

The HE 400 are very responsive to equalization so don't tune up them too much or you'll start to hear a lot of artifacts and unnatural sounds (under-water effect, woo sounds, and stuff like that). I tried a few foobar presets that i found in this thread but they always made the sound awkward and I wasn't able to try any of the electri-q presets because every time I try to load a preset with the electri-q foobar plugin it crushes.   

The HE 400 respond very well with dolby or THX tuning via software, improving dramatically their sound stage and making the vocals more present and warm without making them sound weird. If you want to watch a blue-ray the HE 400 are much better than the HD 598. If you try to apply any of those effects to the HD 598 you'll hear a lot of artifact in the vocals and a weird sound stage (almost like the vocals are filtered using a can). 

-Comfort wise the HE-400 don't excel but are not terrible either. The weight is tolerable (I can wear them for several hours without any pain), I only felt they were a bit annoying just once, after 5 hours no stop of wearing them (and before I had a terrible workout so I was already sore and tired) so if you don't have a weak neck you shouldn't mind the weight. Clamping force is decent but not annoying and if it was less then the headphones will probably "fell on your ear" due to their weight. Most of the discomfort I feel is because of their velour pads (I didn't try the pleather ear pads), the pads are a bit tiny for my ear and the velour itself is made of some sort of synthetic material that don't breath at all so if you have a sensitive skin (e.g. if you are a woman or if you are prone to irritations or dermatitis) I suggest you to find some replacement.   

If anybody knows some ear pads compatible with the HE 400 please let me know. I read somewhere that there are some denon pads compatible but I'd prefer velour pads for the comfort. I'm not a DIY guy so I can't make them, I can barely swap ear pads XD.

I use Beyerdynamic 990V pads (#926.679) But this is in Poland, not sure if they are named exactly the same way in other countries.

Those pads are the best pads, by far, that I have ever tried in any headphone (I tried around 8 cheaper headphones and about 4 mid priced headphones, both velour and plether. I strongly favour velour due to sweat issues, as well as heat build up problems).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back