Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #706 of 4,142
these are one of the best headphones for rock, metal, gothic I have ever heard especially when driven with something like schiit Lyr - that raw, dark power from guitars or kick drum is simply out of this world, a real life experience when on rock/metal concert (amazing soundstage - both width and depth, separation of instruments)

but for something like jazz, classical, acoustic or piano you need something like EF-5, hands down EF-5 is a winner here but you have to listen to understand the difference (amazing transients, clarity, speed and resolution but fatiguing after some time)

May 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #707 of 4,142
Thought I would report in, keep this thread going...

I've lived with the HE-4 for a couple months now, as well as my Denon AH-D5000.  Both are stock except for new cables (balanced to attach to my Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir combo).  

I got the HE-4 and then added the Denon.  I thought the Denon might be my final headphone as I thought I wanted something more in-your-face.  Granted the HE-4 has plenty of weight to it (sound-wise) but I have yet to make up my mind.  I will switch to one or the other and decide "wow, this is awesome, this is the ONE).  And then switch to the other a day or two later and think the same thing.  I listen primarily at work in a closed office, so I listen for long stretches and relatively undisturbed from outside noise.  Both work well for my environment.

I find the Denon to be better for CD recorded music, the detail is a notch higher, the highs and lows are strong.  I read the reviews that stated the Denon had too much bass, and I scoffed at it.  But after listening to a lot (my fave genres are rock, jam bands, pop electronic, etc) I am starting to see how people can say that.  The bass hits hard and it can be overwhelming at times.  But it sounds so precise and in your face, its hard to find a fault.  It gets you in the mood, for sure.  With some of my Widespread Panic rips it is absolutely brutal with the bass.

The Hifiman goes on and I am struck by the tone.  It has treble, it has bass, but its focus is on the tone; the midrange grips you and tantalizes.  I find I like it better for my vinyl rips (I'm fairly anal about vinyl ripping)... some of my Grateful Dead, live shows sound expansive and while they feel less dynamic, they put you there in the crowd a lot easier.  If I had to choose, I would probably end up with the HE-4 (which is why I'm posting this here).  The HE-4 are not easier to balanced on the head, as they are cumbersome, but with the Beyerdynamic velour pads, they are comfy on the ears.  I have no problems wearing them all day at work.  The HE-4 are also open-backed so don't cause my ears to get warm (though to be fair, the Denon's aren't that claustrophobic in that regard).

So if I was to choose an upgrade path from here, I would probably edge towards the HE-6 as the sound appeals to me more.  But the joy for me is the contrast and I can see myself switching between the HE4/6 and the Denon's for quite awhile.

May 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #708 of 4,142
Thanks for your comments. I owned the he-4 and d5k also. I found the he-4 to be a substantially more gifted hp across the spectrum. I regret selling it tbh. I found it just ever so slightly bright and I prefer a darker signature...therefore I sold it. 

Be careful with the he-6. The he-4 actually sounds quite similar and don't underestimate the weight on the he-6. It's super heavy where the he-4 is by far the lightest of all the HFM cans.

May 16, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #709 of 4,142
The setup you have now is perfect for the HE-4 and should allow it to shine.  but as Matt said, can be a tad bit bright.  Might be a bit much for the D5000 though.  I know that Mjolnir has a lot of gain.  Either way I woud keep both heaphones.  

Before you go for the HE-6 with that setup - might want to give the HE-5LE a shoot.  The HE-6 might make you want to upgrade your amp.  It scales higher than what the Mjolnir can give it. 

May 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #710 of 4,142
Interesting - thanks for the replies guys.  I probably won't upgrade for awhile, but I appreciate the advice, something to chew on.  Wow, I figured the Mjolnir had enough power for the HE-6.  Hmm, that would definitely put a damper on that upgrade...
thanks again

May 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #711 of 4,142
I am going to make my original he-4 cable balanced - are there 4 wires after cutting 6,3mm standard jack or only 3 wires (common ground) ? I don't want to destroy original cable only to find out there is common ground from the point where left and right cables connect ... I hope there are still 4 wires and I can easily solder them to my brand new 4 pin XLR neutrik

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #712 of 4,142
just to let you know guys ...

after cutting off 6,3mm jack (he-4 standard cable) in order to make this cable balanced (by soldering neutrik xlr 4 pin to the wires) here is what I saw

there are blue, red, gold and green wires (of course all are layered with something invisible you have to melt (no visible insulation) before you can solder anything to it)

unfortunately red is right +, blue is left +, gold is COMMON GROUND (what a sick idea), and green is connected to nothing (I guess shielding or something like that)

so now I have just destroyed original cable for nothing ; / ( I plan to use it when I buy speaker amp with common ground like emotiva a-100 x mini)

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #713 of 4,142
After a six month separation I have re-purchased the he-4. I'm excited to be getting it back and have missed the sound signature. I have ordered a pair of hm5 pads based on a recommendation from another head-fier. 

Can't wait to get back in the saddle!! Last time I don't feel that I amped the he-4 properly. This time I have my Pioneer sx-650 which can rock about any hp on the planet. Can't wait to try them together. 
size]

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #714 of 4,142
Quote:
After a six month separation I have re-purchased the he-4. I'm excited to be getting it back and have missed the sound signature. I have ordered a pair of hm5 pads based on a recommendation from another head-fier. 

Can't wait to get back in the saddle!! Last time I don't feel that I amped the he-4 properly. This time I have my Pioneer sx-650 which can rock about any hp on the planet. Can't wait to try them together. 
size]

I was wondering when I saw the He-4 in your sig again if you had  been reunited. Hope you get on well together! 

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #715 of 4,142
I've missed them for sure. There was certain aspects of the signature that just hit the check boxes for me. I'll be interested to see how they sound on the Pioneer. It just has gobs of power. 
size]

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #718 of 4,142
I really dig the HE-4.  Part of me wants to get an HE-6 since I love the 4's so much, but another part of me thinks that it can't be THAT much better. :)  But who am I kidding.  The HE-6 is on the path, but I definitely won't part with my 4's.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #719 of 4,142
Quote:
I really dig the HE-4.  Part of me wants to get an HE-6 since I love the 4's so much, but another part of me thinks that it can't be THAT much better. :)  But who am I kidding.  The HE-6 is on the path, but I definitely won't part with my 4's.

I said the same thing.  
biggrin.gif

The fact is once you get the HE-6 and a good amp.  The HE-4 will not be able to keep up with the HE-6.  This is how it ended:  HE-4 = sold..
basshead.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #720 of 4,142
I've spent to past few hours getting re-acquainted with the he-4. It's really a wonderful hp. I owned it previously but always felt that I had underamped it and eventually sold it. Now I'm powering with a vintage receiver which seems to have given the he-4 a very appreciable kick in the pants. 
size]

I went through a good bit of bassy material at first to test the bottom end. With Daft Punk:RAM the he-4 did not disappoint. Now I'm on to some ambient jazz pieces. Listening to Bill Evans: The Complete Vangard Recordings now. Wow!! The sound stage is fantastic and the instrument separation and reproduction is leaving me truly impressed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back