Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
May 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #466 of 4,142
There are comments to the effect that the treble calms down after 50+ hours.

May 11, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #467 of 4,142
Quote:
There are comments to the effect that the treble calms down after 50+ hours.

I can confirm this. You can see my scattered comments throughout these forums of me not being satisfied with the treble due to it's brightness at first. But as time went on, my comments improved and improved. Now, it's to the point where I mentioned the treble is under perfect control now, and it doesn't bother me the slightest. These have definitely improved with burn in, most notably in the treble.

May 12, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #469 of 4,142
I do still have them, but they are leaving soon. :frowning2:

May 12, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #472 of 4,142

Quote:
doesn't seem like anything new is presented here

Conclusion: inconclusive 
rolleyes.gif

May 18, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #476 of 4,142
I'm looking more towardsa Katun's review since he'll have both side by side. I don't trust people's memories as they are easily swayed by new toy syndrome.

I'm not easily moved by new headphones. They have to prove to me that they are worth it over whatever I had previously.

Kinda like its been said the HE4 is more aggressive than the other He's. If there is anything I don't like, its a polite or reserved sound, so this already makes me happy about the HE4.

One of the reasons I didn't like my Lyr at first is because the stock tubes were polite, even if they were technically superior to the aggressive E9. It wasn't until I switched to some other tubes that were more aggressive, and even then I still prefer the E9, with the exception of the HE4 and KSC75.

So those $450 extra better make the HE500 run circles around the HE4, because if it doesn't, I'd rather save up for a flagship which is just a little more than what the HE500 costs.

May 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #477 of 4,142
i admit there is some new toy syndrome here :), but it's still true that HE-500 simply outclasses HE-4, AS it should since it's twice the price. I am not trying to encourage ppl to sell their HE-4s and all upgrade to HE-500. HE-4 is a great headphone. i won't hesitate to recommend it to anyone with a $500 budget. 
Going for HE-6 is different. One must also consider the investment for a new amp. You can probably drive HE-500 with your existing amp.
After owning HE-6 for quite a while, i thought i wouldn't be easily impressed by another headphone any more. HE-500 proves me wrong. 
well...anyway, let's see what Katun says. :)

May 18, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #478 of 4,142
i admit there is some new toy syndrome here :), but it's still true that HE-500 simply outclasses HE-4, AS it should since it's twice the price. I am not trying to encourage ppl to sell their HE-4s and all upgrade to HE-500. HE-4 is a great headphone. i won't hesitate to recommend it to anyone with a $500 budget. 
Going for HE-6 is different. One must also consider the investment for a new amp. You can probably drive HE-500 with your existing amp.
After owning HE-6 for quite a while, i thought i wouldn't be easily impressed by another headphone any more. HE-500 proves me wrong. 
well...anyway, let's see what Katun says. :)

Yep.

May 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #480 of 4,142
I just received the HE4 and EF5 today. Unfortunately for those seeking new opinions or comparisons I don't have a whole lot to compare them to, but I will go ahead and say these are absolutely incredible headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back