Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #361 of 4,142
Its an actual piece of hardware? I was assuming it was the usual bloatware that come with store bought PCs these days. Its likely there are de-branded and de-bloatware-ed drivers for whatever chipset that thing is actually based on that would probably be better. Might be worth a look.

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #362 of 4,142
I have always thought that the 1996 DT880's performed better than the HD600's, but then again, I never liked the HD06XX's.

The HE-4's are a damn good headphone, but not as good as the 6's when they are amped correctly.

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #364 of 4,142

Greetings from your friendly neighbourhood head-fi pusher :wink:

Quote:
I ordered my HE-4 and EF5 combo last night, after hearing the HE-4's at the Danish Head-Fi meet. I guess there's only one thing to do now - to play the waiting game.

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #365 of 4,142
I am extremely curious as to how the HE-4 compares to the HD650. Budget wise... it is going to come down to either one of those two I think... unless there are other epic headphones around that price that competes very well against the HE-4 and the HD650.

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #366 of 4,142
if you check the earlier threads, i have done some general comparison between HD650 and HE-4. Basically HE-4 is no doubt a superior headphone in almost all aspects. The only downside of HE-4 is its low sensitivity. If you are not going to get a good amp, then it's probably much safer to go with HD650. Moving from HD650 to HE-4 totally blew my mind away, and now i ended up with both HE-4 and HE-6. :)
Remember it only costs additional $250 to get the EF5 amp with HE-4 from HiFiMan, and no one would argue that it is THE best $250 amp you can ever buy. 

Quote:
I am extremely curious as to how the HE-4 compares to the HD650. Budget wise... it is going to come down to either one of those two I think... unless there are other epic headphones around that price that competes very well against the HE-4 and the HD650.

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #367 of 4,142
Quote:
if you check the earlier threads, i have done some general comparison between HD650 and HE-4. Basically HE-4 is no doubt a superior headphone in almost all aspects. The only downside of HE-4 is its low sensitivity. If you are not going to get a good amp, then it's probably much safer to go with HD650. Moving from HD650 to HE-4 totally blew my mind away, and now i ended up with both HE-4 and HE-6. :)
Remember it only costs additional $250 to get the EF5 amp with HE-4 from HiFiMan, and no one would argue that it is THE best $250 amp you can ever buy. 

Yup, and you are part of the reason I went with this combo.
wink.gif

So far, I am absolutely loving it! I just hope the treble becomes a bit smoother after some amp/headphone burn in. If not, I'm still totally fine with it how it is. Kinda reminds me of Beyerdynamic, but super upgraded version. The clarity and dynamics are extremely impressive. These are actually incredibly comfortable too! And boy, they look and feel like a dream. Stellar combo... I really cannot stop listening to all my music.

Any noticeable differences after amp burn in for you?

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #368 of 4,142
wow...really glad to hear that. it totally made my day. :)
maybe I just get used to the sound of HE headphones. The treble of HE-4 definitely doesn't offend me in any way now. I have stopped analyzing headphones, and decided to just enjoy the music. If you still think the treble is a little bit too hot for you, there is a cure which is called HE-6. LOL...... :) 
A more affordable option would be upgrading the headphone cable to something that gives a warmer sound.

Quote:

Any noticeable differences after amp burn in for you?

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #369 of 4,142
Quote:
wow...really glad to hear that. it totally made my day. :)

Yeah sure! I read your HD650 vs HE-4 impressions a bit way back and knew I had to get these!

Quote:
maybe I just get used to the sound of HE headphones. The treble of HE-4 definitely doesn't offend me in any way now.

I'm pretty sure I'll get used to the sound soon enough. It's not quite offensive, but on some songs, it can be just a bit. But on most songs it's just a joy to listen to.

Quote:
If you still think the treble is a little bit too hot for you, there is a cure which is called HE-6. LOL...... :) 

Heh, don't even get started! I'm planting my feet here with the HE-4. No, I'm serious...
rolleyes.gif
  (At least, for quite awhile)

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #372 of 4,142
the short answer is yes. although i have never heard of HE-5, HE-4 is very close to HE-5LE sound signature wise, and here is what HE-5LE improve upon HE-5 (quoted from head-direct.com)

Comparing to HE-5, HE-5LE is:
1. More balanced sound signature: No more harsh treble on most headphone amps. 
2. Lighter weight: Use for longer time and will not easily feel tired. 
3. More reliable, no more cracking wood problem.
4. Better OFC cable with 4pin XLR (same to K1000) and XLR to 6.5mm converter.

Quote:
I had the HE-5 for a while and loved them on about 50% of my music but the rest was much too sharp in the treble- has any compared the HE-5 to the HE-4? Is it mellower?

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #374 of 4,142
Only in the very loosest sense. I briefly heard the HE-5 at the Danish meet last October and wasn't impressed but I absolutely love the HE-4. Can't get any closer than that

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #375 of 4,142
For schiits and giggles, I downloaded Peggle onto my PC (one of the most addicting yet kiddie-ish looking games) and played with my HE-4. If anything came of it, it's that the HE-4 has a surprising amount of bass impact. More than I previously thought with my initial run of music tests. I'm incredibly pleased.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back