Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #3,917 of 4,142
Any sound differences?

From my last one? Or since the cleaning out? I honestly didn't have to replace any caps or resistors, just a very very thorough cleaning/lube. I have the main filter caps in hand, but I didn't replace them yet. I put it all back together to make sure it was good to go, and won't take it back apart unless it sounds poor sometime soon. So I'll put the main caps in my closet for now. Honestly, Ito been over a year since I had my other 1010, but I believe it sounds the same, if not cleaner. Aesthetically this one is now in better shape because I took every last thing apart on the faceplate and case and redid it. Unfortunately I lost the "pioneer sx1010" badging, it ripped off when I taped it off, so I just resonated the trim and metal guard in the back with some nice model paint. I have a sticker being made to replacensure the badging though, so all is good. I may end up buying a new faceplate trim if I can find one, just so it's original, but I don't plan on selling this one, so I don't care TOO much. I really don't see how you can do better for the he4 ampwise without spending a ton more. This was 400 total investment, and damn it's awesome to have this warm clean detailed "tubelike" sound back in my house.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #3,918 of 4,142
Well, I traded my Koss ESP-950 for a Stax SR-L500 and SRM-212 amp and I love the tonality and clarity balance with my DACmini CX as an end-game for USB, but it is still not replacing the HE-4 in my home theater setup. No electrostat has done bass so deep and clean, like the HE-4 does. Well, no other dynamic has done bass so clean than the HE-4, either. :rolleyes:

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #3,919 of 4,142
Well, I traded my Koss ESP-950 for a Stax SR-L500 and SRM-212 amp and I love the tonality and clarity balance with my DACmini CX as an end-game for USB, but it is still not replacing the HE-4 in my home theater setup. No electrostat has done bass so deep and clean, like the HE-4 does. Well, no other dynamic has done bass so clean than the HE-4, either.
rolleyes.gif

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhm

I'm really just happy my HE 4 is still running strong! Here's to hoping it lives forever!!!!!!! 

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #3,920 of 4,142
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhm

I'm really just happy my HE 4 is still running strong! Here's to hoping it lives forever!!!!!!! 

I think it will live forever. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial and has stage-4 or 5 upgraditis, which is serious or chronic diminishing returns (HD800->LCD-3->Utopia->SR-009->Orpheus 1->Orpheus 2). :p

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #3,921 of 4,142
Anyone have an he4 they would like to sell or trade for a pair of lightly used he400 with real jergpads please send me a PM! My he400 have maybe 25 hours on them over the past 3 years. They have just been sitting in their original box. No mods other than the jergpads.

Thanks!

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #3,922 of 4,142
Alright, let's hope I can actually do this in the next week. Got a plank of black limba to make a set of he4 cups, and some Foster t50 closed cups and baffles that will fit in a hifiman-he frame that a bought a while ago. Really hoping I can get this done correctly

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #3,924 of 4,142
Wood cups were delayed due to my in law having eye surgery, it's already been like 3 years since I said I was going to do it anyways. I have an ifi micro dsd black label portable amp/dac on its way, looking forward to seeing if it can actually push the he4s decently, it's not why I bought it but excited to try it

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #3,925 of 4,142
Wood cups were delayed due to my in law having eye surgery, it's already been like 3 years since I said I was going to do it anyways. I have an ifi micro dsd black label portable amp/dac on its way, looking forward to seeing if it can actually push the he4s decently, it's not why I bought it but excited to try it

Yeah, family should come first, though your headphones can always come in when they treat you second or worse. :wink:

As for the micro dsd black label...I think those RCA outs are perfect for your vintage amp. Sounds like you have not heard your HE-4 for weeks...so here is your reminder that it is almost as hard to drive as the HE-6, but more preferred than the HE-5LE...apparently. :cool:

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #3,926 of 4,142
Yeah, family should come first, though your headphones can always come in when they treat you second or worse. :wink:

As for the micro dsd black label...I think those RCA outs are perfect for your vintage amp. Sounds like you have not heard your HE-4 for weeks...so here is your reminder that it is almost as hard to drive as the HE-6, but more preferred than the HE-5LE...apparently. :cool:

Oh no I have, I was working out of town recently and took the 1010 and the he4s with me to the hotel. Ya I'm hoping the ifi is a better dac than the x3, it damn well should be, but how much of a difference, time will tell.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #3,927 of 4,142
Oh no I have, I was working out of town recently and took the 1010 and the he4s with me to the hotel. Ya I'm hoping the ifi is a better dac than the x3, it damn well should be, but how much of a difference, time will tell.

The old amp getting heavy? In this case, I think the micro idsd black label will work wonders...but to the level you want will be a mystery until you try the combo.

To say the least, the sound imaging will be much improved. :cool:

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #3,930 of 4,142
I got the ifi for multiple reasons, to improve my portable setup, and to use as a dac only to feed the sx1010. I don't plan on using the he4 with the just the ifi much at all. I plan on getting some Sony xba z5 iems soon and wanted to upgrade my gear before buying anymore hp's. That and the ifi should work really well with my t50rps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back