Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #3,886 of 4,142
The biggest thing is to keep it stock. It is mainly going to be your DAC or amp that needs changing.

The next thing is to get an amp that has a lot of power and gain options, preferably Low-Medium-High options. Source line-outs, analog or digital, will vary in power ratings, so the gain options will be there to fine-tune your sound.

The longest-term thing will be finding a DAC that will suit your musical preferences and needs, which will be largely based on your pre-existing music collection.

That's actually what I meant.  I know there are mods suggested for this headphone, but also it needs to have a good amp (I don't even know what DAC is right now - really new to this whole realm or maybe just the terminology..) to power it to reach it's potentials...although I read a few posts in this thread that supposedly debunked this to a degree; but the general consensus I gleaned is that an amp/DAC can really help it.  I literally know nothing about the varying amp options, but that's the next step of enquiry.  

That was the purpose of my original post/question is if I should get some other model headphone that is not as potentially reliant on amping to get a great(er) sound out of them.  Any suggestions for that would be much appreciated!  

I listen to all kinds of music, but have gravitated toward more old folk/indigenous music.  What's awesome about vinyl hunting is that you come across fairly obscure stuff that one wouldn't generally even think to look for.  I have an Israeli Jazzercise/Yoga album from 1984 that I'm digging right now :)

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #3,887 of 4,142
So, just going to throw this out there...It's a bit obscure so I'll just ask directly...hope that's cool or if there is a better thread for these types of questions, do let me know.  I've seen people get flamed and disdained for such (but they were usually selling).

What should I be realistically consider spending on these?  I have a chance on the 5LE model too.  The He-500s seem to go for $400 and up on Ebay, and can get the 5LE for a little less (about $50 less), but this is getting quite out of my scope for funds on a set up.   Would ideally not want to spend more than $500 for a set of headphones and a decent amp/DAC(Digital to Analog Converter!)

Would that be worth it over the 4?  Or just keep trying for the HE-4s (I'm very patient..)??  I saw they were selling for $200-300 (sometimes a bit less) from old sale threads, but don't know what I should expect to pay for one these-a-days.  I did track one down for a little over $300 as well, but it's pretty beat up looking, but supposedly sounds fine.  Wishful thinking?  That seems kind of high to me though, but don't really know...any feedback on pricing and I'll tell you how many licks to get to the center of a guitar... 

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #3,888 of 4,142
Lots of questions, I'll try to sum-up as much as possible (with some quick comparisons to the other HE series headphones you've mentioned).

-The HE-4 is lighter than the HE-400, HE-5LE, HE-500, and HE-6.
-The HE-4 is more spacious sounding than the HE-400, HE-400S, HE-400i, HE-5LE, HE-500, and HE-6 (I can't speak for the HE-560).
-The HE-4 has punchier bass than the HE-400S, HE-400i, HE-5LE, HE-500, and HE-6.
-The HE-4 has a very rough treble region that can make or break the headphone. I've been slow but I'm still shooting for building/tweaking an internal, electrical treble filter mod.
-The HE-4 is one of the hungriest of hippos, requiring a lot of power to reach listening levels compared to most other headphones (HE-5LE and HE-6 require even more). Still, it is important to note that this fact is often way overblown and it's not as big of a deal as it seems. A Schiit Vali 2 can drive the HE-6 to listening levels, but I could get shot just for saying that (the HE-6 crowd is very particular about their driving "requirements", physics aside).
-A DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter - required for converting digital files (CDs, MP3s, etc.) to analog sound. Also known as a "sound card". All digital equipment with a headphone jack (computers, phones, etc.) have DAC chips, though upgrading to a very nice DAC is a great bonus to a great headphone. However, if you're primarily listening to vinyl, this doesn't matter (already listening in analog).
-New HE-4's went for $450, a good condition HE-4 could be up to $400 based on discontinued/demand (though I would have a hard time stomaching a used HE-4 for $400...)
-The HE-5LE is possibly superior to the HE-500 but the HE-500 has a very pleasant tonal balance. The HE-5LE, like the HE-4, has a rough treble region, though it isn't quite as bad (to me).

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #3,889 of 4,142
Awesome for that.  I've read a bunch of your posts as I've gone almost through 70% of this thread post by post.  I did skip probably a couple dozen pages when it was just getting into ear pad juggling.  Will probably delve back into that if I ever end up getting a set...  

Yup, lots of vinyl, and the rest on digital format, so might go for a DAC too.  I might have to redownload a bunch of them as I didn't know hoot about FLAC, 320kbps, etc at that time, as I was being economical with my storage. 

I'm sure others who are wanting to read about this model will find your post extremely helpful.  Kudos!

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #3,890 of 4,142
Thanks a lot, I'm glad I can help. 
redface.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #3,891 of 4,142
Amps/Dac suggestions?

I have heard about Project Ember, Asgard, Vali or Lyr, and even a suggestion of one of the Hifiman models? Read that the last one can tame the highs of the He-4 and 5LE pretty well and makes them smooth(er). Apparently the 500 doesn't really need amping as much,  but would help the overall...

Also I was given a Playstation as a gift and was wondering which of these 3 (4, 5LE, 500) people might suggest.  Would love immserse in the ambient sound stuff when playing for example: Far Cry (think safari/jungle type environment), but you DO end up shooting stuff/people/exposions exploding.  Not sure whether the percussiveness of the highs on the 4 or 5LE would become fatiguing in fights.  Anyone with experience in gaming please do chime in.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #3,892 of 4,142
Get an audio-gd that can throw down at least 4000mw per ch on 40-50ohms and theres no guess work. Some will say close to 1wpc will do but all that's in that power rating region sounds mediocre with the he4. If you get one around that power rating, make sure the power supply is very good and linear - not smps.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #3,893 of 4,142
Get an audio-gd that can throw down at least 4000mw per ch on 40-50ohms and theres no guess work. Some will say close to 1wpc will do but all that's in that power rating region sounds mediocre with the he4. If you get one around that power rating, make sure the power supply is very good and linear - not smps.

Hi,
Will look out for that.  Mostly checking on Ebay but they tend to leave out that kind of info...
Best one would suggest for around $200-250?  How is the EF-5 by Hifiman?

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #3,894 of 4,142
Hi,
Will look out for that.  Mostly checking on Ebay but they tend to leave out that kind of info...
Best one would suggest for around $200-250?  How is the EF-5 by Hifiman?

Hi. I have EF-5 its a nice amp but today i found it a little outdated. Project Ember is way more versatile an cleaner sounding. I have HE 4 and HE500 and IMO both sounding better from ember.

I also have a PS4. I use the AudioGD NFB 15 and HE-4 for gaming. The wider soundstage of the HE-4 and light weight compared to HE500 is a win in my book for gaming

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #3,895 of 4,142
Hi. I have EF-5 its a nice amp but today i found it a little outdated. Project Ember is way more versatile an cleaner sounding. I have HE 4 and HE500 and IMO both sounding better from ember.

I also have a PS4. I use the AudioGD NFB 15 and HE-4 for gaming. The wider soundstage of the HE-4 and light weight compared to HE500 is a win in my book for gaming

Looking at the Ember more seriously but it's just out of my budget for now.  Looking to drop around $300 max for a used item...it's important to stick to my budget.  Repeat - it's important to stick to my budget.  :)

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #3,897 of 4,142

I'm considering the EF-5 because I might be able to get a really good deal on it...  right now it's my fall back purchase in case...(see next line)
Found a couple Ember II's - Does/Can it smooth out the treble?  I heard changing the tubes makes this a versatile option.  Any suggested tubes to make it warmer?  Or what do you use/suggest?

If you can, let me know about your experience with these cans and PS gaming.  PM me because I don't want to derail the thread with my own specifics.  Would appreciate!
thnx

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #3,898 of 4,142
After not enjoying my he4s for a substantial length of time, and being on hiatus from headfi, I threw my hps on and plugged them into my sx727. Then I realized how much better they sounded on my sx1010, quickly making me remove the he4s until I found another suitable amp. I am on the hunt, have a lead on one, and will once again have a 1010 in my household hopefully soon. What I need now is a new dac. I still like to think the dual Wolfson audio gd I had would be a killer combo with the very warm tubey sound of the 1010. Any recommendations for dac undr 500 that goes well with vintage amps and the he4?

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #3,899 of 4,142
After not enjoying my he4s for a substantial length of time, and being on hiatus from headfi, I threw my hps on and plugged them into my sx727. Then I realized how much better they sounded on my sx1010, quickly making me remove the he4s until I found another suitable amp. I am on the hunt, have a lead on one, and will once again have a 1010 in my household hopefully soon. What I need now is a new dac. I still like to think the dual Wolfson audio gd I had would be a killer combo with the very warm tubey sound of the 1010. Any recommendations for dac undr 500 that goes well with vintage amps and the he4?

I'm in the same boat!  Ended up with a Gustard H10, but looking for a compatible DAC (have a HD650 as well, and don't want too warm a combination DAC/amp).  Am keeping my eyes open for local vintage stuff too for home use.  

Had read about the Audio GD NFB 10s for this, but I found that people are saying, it will drive HE-6s, but not optimally and the 4's aren't that much easier.  That would have been a best all in one solution for right now but these supposedly scale really well, but trying to find other workable models under 500 total for both units/combo.  Seems to be a problem with hard to drive phones until you up the budget.  May get better in the future, and I'm sure they are out there, just haven't become aware of one so far.

Have looked at the Centrance DACmini and the Chord Mojo ( I require something with universal power as I travel out of country) but each had their pitfalls for the 4, so took them out of contention.  Will let you know if I find something!  Hope you will too!  

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #3,900 of 4,142
So, since I have a terrible memory, I'm wondering if anyone's compared the oppo ha1 to vintage amps and a good dac with the he4. I am trying to source an sx1010, and a nice r2r dac,but maybe that sexy oppo ha1 can be an all in one purchase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back