Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #3,826 of 4,142
Are you using the ember to power the he6? If so how is it?
The HE-6 is by no means a giant leap from the performance of the HE-4.

HE-4: More bass, more air/bigger soundstage, hit or miss treble, better comfort/weight, better price, fun and aggressive.

HE-6: Blacker background, controlled, less distortion, more reliable treble, very immersive, neutral and polite.

I really like both of these headphones, and I doubt I'll get rid of either one.

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #3,827 of 4,142
Oh, one thing to note about the ember is that the sound quality is just dope, but the volume level dosen't reach as loud as I want with the settings turned to W/AM. When I switch it to WO/AM it does rais the volume up but you lose the tube sound and the soundstage. Trying to think about a mod to change modes more easily like drilling a hole on top of the acrylic top right above the switch.

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #3,828 of 4,142
Ember does just fine with the HE-6 (low gain, 12 o'clock). I just recently picked up a Vali 2 as well and, believe it or not, it has plenty of juice to get the HE-6 very loud (normal listening at 2:30 on high gain). (Cue speaker amp zealouts.)

For the HE-4/6, Ember has more treble and slightly better staging. Vali 2 is great though. I'm usually volume limited by treble fatigue, so the easier treble on the Vali 2 allows me to turn the bass and mids up a little louder. The Vali 2 does not seem to lack treble clarity, however. The HE-6 sounds really sweet here. At this moment in time, I don't think I prefer one over the other, they are both great.

For the HD580, Ember can't compete with the Vali 2. Shoot, my Valhalla 2 (stock tubes) only bests the Vali 2 by a small amount with these headphones (better separation, resolution, staging, etc.). If the Valhalla 2 is at 100%, the Vali 2 is easily at 90% with the HD580.

For the TH-X00, Ember is too loud, Valhalla 2 is too bright, and the Vali 2 is just right.

I'm seriously very impressed with the Vali 2.

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #3,829 of 4,142
Oh, one thing to note about the ember is that the sound quality is just dope, but the volume level dosen't reach as loud as I want with the settings turned to W/AM. When I switch it to WO/AM it does rais the volume up but you lose the tube sound and the soundstage. Trying to think about a mod to change modes more easily like drilling a hole on top of the acrylic top right above the switch.

Try bypassing the component on the incoming and use without attenuation, both of those to me are for sensitive phones only. They also lower the sound quality a tad imo.

-------------

Surprising to hear on the Vali 2. Also surprised you find the he6 to be amped properly on the Ember. I only own the sunrise 3 with a linear power supply now and the horizon 3 but I think there's a good chance I can test the he6 and ember together at the next meet.

Have you tried your he6 in other "monster" amps with at least 4wpc on the headphone out?
Ember does just fine with the HE-6 (low gain, 12 o'clock). I just recently picked up a Vali 2 as well and, believe it or not, it has plenty of juice to get the HE-6 very loud (normal listening at 2:30 on high gain). (Cue speaker amp zealouts.)

For the HE-4/6, Ember has more treble and slightly better staging. Vali 2 is great though. I'm usually volume limited by treble fatigue, so the easier treble on the Vali 2 allows me to turn the bass and mids up a little louder. The Vali 2 does not seem to lack treble clarity, however. The HE-6 sounds really sweet here. At this moment in time, I don't think I prefer one over the other, they are both great.

For the HD580, Ember can't compete with the Vali 2. Shoot, my Valhalla 2 (stock tubes) only bests the Vali 2 by a small amount with these headphones (better separation, resolution, staging, etc.). If the Valhalla 2 is at 100%, the Vali 2 is easily at 90% with the HD580.

For the TH-X00, Ember is too loud, Valhalla 2 is too bright, and the Vali 2 is just right.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3,830 of 4,142
Naw, I haven't tried my HE-6 with a huge power amp. It only needs ~600mW to get to 105dB, so it makes sense that the Vali 2 and Ember have no issues getting to listening levels.

I do, however, have a Beta22 amp build on the way. Hopefully she'll be built and test ready by next spring 
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #3,831 of 4,142

Our mini-meet is going to kick some serious arse.... I'm looking forward to listening to a tube setup that isn't my EF5

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #3,832 of 4,142

HE-4: More bass, more air/bigger soundstage, hit or miss treble, better comfort/weight, better price, fun and aggressive.

HE-6: Blacker background, controlled, less distortion, more reliable treble, very immersive, neutral and polite.

I really like both of these headphones, and I doubt I'll get rid of either one.

Grrr, my issue with the HE 4 is resolution. I had an LCD 2 for a week an it had really good resolution in the low mids, I was suprised at the mirco detail my HE 4 missed, ofc in the top end the HE 4 had  better details than the LCD 2, so I kinda want both. Super micro detail top to bottom, I'll see how the HE X compares 

I agree some what, the TH X00 is a tad to loud with my Starlight, using stock OP Amps an tubes, though it's really quite nice. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #3,833 of 4,142
Grrr, my issue with the HE 4 is resolution. I had an LCD 2 for a week an it had really good resolution in the low mids, I was suprised at the mirco detail my HE 4 missed, ofc in the top end the HE 4 had  better details than the LCD 2, so I kinda want both. Super micro detail top to bottom, I'll see how the HE X compares 

I agree some what, the TH X00 is a tad to loud with my Starlight, using stock OP Amps an tubes, though it's really quite nice. 

Really? I do agree that all Audeze headphones in general have killer resolution, but I personally never thought that the he4 lacks in anyways in terms of resolution against the lcd2. I rather thought that the lcd2/X/3 has a bit more of a 'compressed' sound with a house signature with a rather dark sound (too dark for my tastes to be honest). In some ways I rather find the he4 excels the Audeze..... well at least in my tastes if it hadn't been the siblance issues. But the soundstage, instrument placements simply trumps the lcd series for sure.

mrscotchguy
Man I wish if I was still living in America.

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #3,834 of 4,142
Really? I do agree that all Audeze headphones in general have killer resolution, but I personally never thought that the he4 lacks in anyways in terms of resolution against the lcd2. I rather thought that the lcd2/X/3 has a bit more of a 'compressed' sound with a house signature with a rather dark sound (too dark for my tastes to be honest). In some ways I rather find the he4 excels the Audeze..... well at least in my tastes if it hadn't been the siblance issues. But the soundstage, instrument placements simply trumps the lcd series for sure.

@mrscotchguy
Man I wish if I was still living in America.

There were a few songs in which I noticed some really faint details, that I'd not heard with the HE 4, in terms of who had the best overall detail the HE 4 won 9/10 I need an upgrade that claims that 1/10 song that the LCD 2 was better with 

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #3,835 of 4,142

Respecting what you hear, I have to ask, have you tried the 6 on a speaker amp?

I love the 4, but it does nothing as good as the 6 paired with the J2, the bass is the best I have heard and the air and sound stage are only matched by maybe the HD800.

I was actually a bit disappointed when I picked up the 6, I tried many combos including vintage, the Lyr, Emotiva mini and etc. I then got lucky finding a Firstwatt amp at a decent price and it sounds better then I thought a headphone can sound. All IMHO(of course).

Not a speaker amp zealot, just a guy saying what he hears :)

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #3,836 of 4,142
  Respecting what you hear, I have to ask, have you tried the 6 on a speaker amp?

I love the 4, but it does nothing as good as the 6 paired with the J2, the bass is the best I have heard and the air and sound stage are only matched by maybe the HD800.

I was actually a bit disappointed when I picked up the 6, I tried many combos including vintage, the Lyr, Emotiva mini and etc. I then got lucky finding a Firstwatt amp at a decent price and it sounds better then I thought a headphone can sound. All IMHO(of course).

Not a speaker amp zealot, just a guy saying what he hears :)

was that a stock HE 6 mind u

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #3,838 of 4,142
  At one time.

ugh that's my issue, I'm a lot busier now than before 

I really don't want to mod an HE 6 q.q 

how does something like the LCD X stock compare to the HE 4 

though I suppose I could send one of u guys an HE 6, if your had the time to do a  mod 

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #3,839 of 4,142
  ugh that's my issue, I'm a lot busier now than before 

I really don't want to mod an HE 6 q.q 

how does something like the LCD X stock compare to the HE 4 

though I suppose I could send one of u guys an HE 6, if your had the time to do a  mod 

I like a darker sound, if I remember you like a brighter sound, the only mods I did was a felt pad over the driver, grill mod, and a pad swap. None of which drastically altered the sound, just dulled the treble a bit. Took me all of 10 minutes.

I liked the X, but IMHO the 6 blows it away.  I had problems with my LCD 2 to the point I am hesitant to even consider going in that direction again.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #3,840 of 4,142
  I like a darker sound, if I remember you like a brighter sound, the only mods I did was a felt pad over the driver, grill mod, and a pad swap. None of which drastically altered the sound, just dulled the treble a bit.

I liked the X, but IMHO the 6 blows it away.  I had problems with my LCD 2 to the point I am hesitant to even consider going in that direction again.

Hmm I've heard about Vegan pads on the HE 6 an yea I like the nice brighter sound 

really my only reason to swap into a HE 6 is for the resolution, I want those extras bits of detail in the low mids, I don't care about how much the headphones weighs really

I'm just lookin to get that extra bit of detail my HE 4 doesn't pull 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back