Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #3,796 of 4,142
Yes, Solderdude is the designer/engineer of the Garage1217 amps. He helped me quite a bit over at his site (DIYAH).

The filter can sit wherever you want. I've only had it in a breadboard for testing, basically in-line with the headphone cable. If you really liked the effect, you could end up hard-modding the filter inside the cups of the headphone (which is what Solderdude does on his budget headphone mods).

So he's basically Jeremy Helms?

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #3,797 of 4,142
Vero makes something like this except they have universal units except for hd800 I think..
As much as I adore the he4 as is, I really am interested in buying what I'm guessing is a pigtail? Just a short adapter you plug into the standard hp plug?

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3,800 of 4,142
  I use canned air from a distance but you could damage your drivers that way if you're not careful or know what you're doing. I would ask Hifiman if you want the official way to clean it but look first to see if that's even the problem before you create another one.

I do the same from time to time, I usually have my can around 8 inches from teh driver it self 
Thanks to Solderdude's filter design (seriously, I didn't do any of this myself) I've been able to try a couple configurations with the intent of lowering the intensity of the HE-4's treble. This filter is merely a circuit of resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

The "full filter" essentially holds the 6-8kHz area in one place and raises the surrounding frequencies in order to remove the peak entirely (this peak isn't as evident on my measurement rig as it is on purrin's -- you may have to do some digging if you want to see his measurements). The full filter config is a little bright for my tastes, but it brings more upper mid/lower treble clarity.

If I "short" a couple components in the circuit, the filter merely cuts the hot treble and leaves everything else the same. This darker presentation is up my alley. The treble isn't affected enough to remove the essence of the HE-4 but it's enough to remove/reduce my need for EQ.

I really like the idea of a filter mod because it doesn't mechanically dampen the driver. Most often the easiest way to lower treble intensity is to put something between your ear and the driver (felt, toilet paper, microfiber cloth, etc.) but this improvement sometimes comes with the trade off of muffling the sound as a whole.

The filter isn't all perfect though, as it doesn't remove the driver's tendency for sibilance. Some things we are going to just have to deal with in the end. Either way, I'd like to think these could be used to "fix" many headphones -- and I believe Solderdude has made efforts to get that point across as well.

Anyway, I just figured I'd post some of my results. Not sure if this is something people are interested in or not.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Do not compare these measurements to my old measurements in this thread. Totally different measuring setups, totally different results.

hehe, thanks for this. I think this confirms my theory of "aftermarket cables" namely that they are in reality flawed, in the sense that they are not transparent. But rather induce changes into the headphones response with a flaw in teh circuit, either way It's nice to see some support from teh Guys at Garage 127, I've never listend to one of their amps but I might have to suck it up an buy an try one! Even more so after hearing that one of his Engineers is willing to work an put out mods for us  
  Yes, Solderdude is the designer/engineer of the Garage1217 amps. He helped me quite a bit over at his site (DIYAH).

The filter can sit wherever you want. I've only had it in a breadboard for testing, basically in-line with the headphone cable. If you really liked the effect, you could end up hard-modding the filter inside the cups of the headphone (which is what Solderdude does on his budget headphone mods).

Very cool

Nope.

Frans (Solderdude) does the majority of the amp design and architecture, though I'm sure Jeremy gives input, especially on aesthetics. Jeremy does the business side: customer service, soldering, website, sales, etc.

Very cool very cool

I really need to try out the Garag 127 amps! 
Also  my HE 4 is working at 100%, I had some wierd stuff on it an was worried it might not work as it should [even my D5K pads had some shemck on them]

Moral of the Story is my HE 4 is still going strong! 

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #3,802 of 4,142
  @Mshenay, definitely check out the DIYAH forum for more G1217 info too! Both Jeremy and Frans are pretty active over there.

ooh! I'll have to do that, I would really love to get a demo unit from them too! 

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #3,804 of 4,142
F××k.... a month since I ordered the Ember and still didn't arrive.... until when should I leave my headphone shoved in the corner...

Should've gone for something eaasier, but it's done so you still gotta have to wait. There's tracking number, aye?

On the other hand, my DAC/amp stack already arrived, finally got the bass that I felt by using Aegis.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #3,807 of 4,142
Did you talk to Jeremy? Tracking/shipping should've been within a week of your payment. Delays will probably be due to shipping.
F××k.... a month since I ordered the Ember and still didn't arrive.... until when should I leave my headphone shoved in the corner...

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #3,808 of 4,142
Yes I did contact Jeremy through Facebook and he said the package has arrived at the place in US where they will transfer it to overseas shipping because as I said, I do live in Korea. So its basically the transferring company's fault that they are meesing with me. The same happened with my GTA V packaging a while ago. Meanwhile, Jeremy was very kind to answer my contacts through Facebook and replying everything I asked about Garage 1217.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #3,809 of 4,142
In case anyone is curious, I successfully swapped headbands on my HE-5LE for a HE-400i headband... additionally, I plasti-dipped the cups to make them matte black. You can check it out here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/790902/the-ultimate-step-by-step-how-to-headband-transplantingguide-for-old-hifiman-he-4-5le-6-400-500-into-the-new-he-400i-560#post_12155284

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #3,810 of 4,142
  In case anyone is curious, I successfully swapped headbands on my HE-5LE for a HE-400i headband... additionally, I plasti-dipped the cups to make them matte black. You can check it out here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/790902/the-ultimate-step-by-step-how-to-headband-transplantingguide-for-old-hifiman-he-4-5le-6-400-500-into-the-new-he-400i-560#post_12155284

Oh nice man! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back