Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #3,556 of 4,142
  Selling my HE-4 as I really need closed headphones for my listening purposes and living conditions now. So DT770 stay. I know I never got to listen to the HE-4 at their full potential, but I'm sure if I did I would never let them go so that would make it very difficult haha.

I dont think the 770s will be enough. So, the only way youll be happy is to develop a truly magical he4 closed mod. I heard from somebody that told someone else, you were the one. So it must be done!

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #3,557 of 4,142
  I dont think the 770s will be enough. So, the only way youll be happy is to develop a truly magical he4 closed mod. I heard from somebody that told someone else, you were the one. So it must be done!

tongue.gif
 This is definitely true haha. Truth be told, the LCD-2 ruined my options haha. I am still used to their treble and everything else I've tried seems to annoy me. However, the HE-4 would make an amazing second headphone to the LCD-2. There's something about them that works extremely well with some specific albums. However, I only want one headphone and I need it to be closed, so DT770 for now. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #3,558 of 4,142
:p  This is definitely true haha. Truth be told, the LCD-2 ruined my options haha. I am still used to their treble and everything else I've tried seems to annoy me. However, the HE-4 would make an amazing second headphone to the LCD-2. There's something about them that works extremely well with some specific albums. However, I only want one headphone and I need it to be closed, so DT770 for now. 

All I had for closed for a bit was a shure srh840, and it was fine. Can't listen to it anymore, well because I took the drivers out and made a grado/shure/beyer/ monster. I've heard the higher end Mr speakers can hold their own with the he4, but I don't think any closed can is going to really get you to the he4 air/separation and tonality. It's just original. Best of luck with the sale, hopefully whoever gets it will enjoy these gems.

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #3,559 of 4,142
All I had for closed for a bit was a shure srh840, and it was fine. Can't listen to it anymore, well because I took the drivers out and made a grado/shure/beyer/ monster. I've heard the higher end Mr speakers can hold their own with the he4, but I don't think any closed can is going to really get you to the he4 air/separation and tonality. It's just original. Best of luck with the sale, hopefully whoever gets it will enjoy these gems.

Yeah I completely understand I won't get close to the best traits of the HE-4 in a closed can. However, I can enjoy closed cans more due to not having to worry about others hearing my music and I cannot hear them, also. I'm sure if I already had the right amp for the HE-4 I would manage to persuade myself to keep them. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #3,560 of 4,142
Jul 20, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #3,561 of 4,142
What a great way to drive any HFM can................vintage amps do the job incredibly well! 

Its actually the reason i have barely been on head-fi, i dont have the huge desires to find something new anymore. I just need an r2r dac and im pretty much done here. On a side note- New Between the Buried and Me album or new steven wilson album+ he4/sx1010= multiple eargasms.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #3,562 of 4,142
Pretty much same here.  Dug out an old Pioneer SX-535 from my folk's basement.  A buddy of mine cleaned it, and replaced the right channel transistor that wasn't functioning any longer.  All it cost me was a bottle of Bourbon and two weeks.  Good pairing, though I do prefer my Audio-GD over it... much blacker background and less nobs to putz with.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #3,563 of 4,142
The 560,has a tighter bass but the he4 is so open. It has distinct edges to the instruments and sounds really clear compared to a lot of open backs. It actually does better in a lot of areas technically than my lcdx which has more body to the music, more refinement, but sounds less clear, less separated, less airy, less wide, less crisp,more punchy and more bassy. They actually both together will tackle my playlist very well. Even though the mids aren't as lush as other hps I actually find them enjoyable.

Where is my money? I mean why did I pay for significantly more expensive options when this can does so much.

I just wish for stronger attack, a bit meatier bass, and smoother treble(he6) but the 4 is growing on me a lot. Maybe some pads will help thicken things up a bit. I don't really care about a grill mod. They are open enough. If this had he400 bass it would be endgame for a bit.

Because HE-4 are one of the most open, natural, transparent sounding headphones in the world. Comparing to any other headphones they sound like open air show with no boundries inside your head. After trying all audeze (total mistake) & stax omega, hd800 (closest to he-4 IMHO but still prefere he-4's reference, layered & textured bass), gs/ps1000. Having heard almost all other headphones on the market now I am 100% clear about it, no matter the budget. And if you are able to compare the sound that is produced by instruments playing alive in real world (with all the harmonics, transients, tonality, impact) with the sound of he-4 you know exactly what I mean. But like many said before treble might be sometimes a bit hot, mainly when listen to some **** quality tracks. Early revisions were much more balanced, the newest one I am in possession now is treble hot. I have 2 pairs of it and can easily tell that hifiman is changing sound signatures a bit with slight mods all the time. For instance my first he-400 long time ago was also epic, I tried a few months ago newest one he-400 and there was enormous peak at higher mids, completely unacceptable to me, so this is it, different revisions of the same headphones do matter. With reference and good recordings, treble is real life experience, period. Or you can just use schiit lyr to kill hot treble and get even bigger soundstage & impact but lose a bit of details. Emotiva a-100 mini does the job too. Like it more than he-6 on bryston bda-1, mjolnir & ef-6. Just my 2 cents folks. Cheers.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #3,564 of 4,142
Man I've not listened to my HE 4 in months, it's nice I slipped it on just now, and the Beyer Pads I've got on it still fit the same way :3

An for those of you wanting a more open more AGGRESSIVE sounding HE 4, I recommened the Beyer DT 880 Pads, That's what I use an aside from OMG COMFORTABLE, the sound stage and attack are to die for

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #3,568 of 4,142
Thujone, if it works out I'm probably going for a pair (again) currently offered in the classifieds and it's quite likely that I let go of it soon afterwards. If you're interested in picking it up from me send me a PM. I'm in Europe.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #3,569 of 4,142
Thujone, if it works out I'm probably going for a pair (again) currently offered in the classifieds and it's quite likely that I let go of it soon afterwards. If you're interested in picking it up from me send me a PM. I'm in Europe.

Add Audeze micro-velour pads on stock HE-4, and there's not much you'll want to upgrade to. It was one of the clear favorites at a headfi meet, and most found it hard to believe the price when comparing it to much, much more expensive flagships.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #3,570 of 4,142

Wait, you plan on buying a pair just so you can sell it? haha

Add Audeze micro-velour pads on stock HE-4, and there's not much you'll want to upgrade to. It was one of the clear favorites at a headfi meet, and most found it hard to believe the price when comparing it to much, much more expensive flagships.

Ugh, I probably have to do this. That price tag though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back