Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #3,181 of 4,142
I don't think the fiio x1 fits in with the whole plan. Looking for a dap with line out that can replace the agd as dac. X1 will undoubtedly be far inferior to the agd dac. That's my issue here.

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #3,182 of 4,142
I don't think the fiio x1 fits in with the whole plan. Looking for a dap with line out that can replace the agd as dac. X1 will undoubtedly be far inferior to the agd dac. That's my issue here.

Yup, get the X5. Consider the X1 if you need a quick portable fix though. I don't know if G1217 does BF sales... I never checked last year but I don't think they do. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #3,183 of 4,142
  Yup, get the X5. Consider the X1 if you need a quick portable fix though. I don't know if G1217 does BF sales... I never checked last year but I don't think they do. 

I emailed them about it a few days ago and they do not.  He did have a B-stock Polaris for cheap tho.  You might email him...

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #3,184 of 4,142
Wonder what this would be like for he4, found some saying worked great with he500. Not going to buy or anything just a random thought

http://www.head-fi.org/t/708743/moded-bottlehead-sex-with-4-pin-xlr-to-speakers-taps-adapter-cable-shipping-included-price-drop2

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #3,185 of 4,142

well heres the problem with that, my Hm901 is the only DAP I've had that is on level with my NFb10ES2, I found the X5 to be a disappointment compared to my HM801 when I compared the two, the line out of the X5 was a little flat, didn't have the depth the HM801 had 

So if your running a balanced AGD Dac/Amp like I am your going to need a rather high end DAP to get the same quality in terms of the dac, and for all instensive pourposes, I find my Hm901 and iBasso PB2 rig to be on level with my AGD 10ES2, the problem is only the NFB10ES2 can drive the HE 4 sufficently 

Again, I found the X5 to be a bit of a disappointment, espically when you can find a used HM801 for around $400 [well that's what I sold mine for] 

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #3,186 of 4,142
I'm just keeping the 10se for now. I'll just buy x1,3,5 based on deals I can find. After thinking about it So much I just can't afford to let the 10se go until I can move to a more on par but different setup

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3,188 of 4,142
^ this!

Fight the upgrade-itus... or in your case sidegrade-itus

well I think a side grade for portable use is going to run you around a grand or so, my hm801 was a step behind my NFB10ES2 [the only differance between the 10ES ES2 and ES3 is csometics and buttons]

So I think keeping it will be your best bet, as anything portable thats not on par with the HM901, AK120ii or the like will be a down grade 

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #3,189 of 4,142
Quick question:  My Project Ember just came in.  I'm getting ready to test it for the first time.  What jumper settings do you guys use with the HE-4?

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #3,190 of 4,142
  Quick question:  My Project Ember just came in.  I'm getting ready to test it for the first time.  What jumper settings do you guys use with the HE-4?

Usually just go with low gain and low or medium resistance, some say high gain offer better dynamics but I didn't notice it with my tubes. Remember the 10 minute warm-up time; to me it sounded best after 30-40 mins of it running. If you're taking a break anywhere up to 2-3 hours I would just leave it on, it actually prolongs the life of the tube instead of putting it through another off/on phase.

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #3,191 of 4,142

Usually just go with low gain and low or medium resistance, some say high gain offer better dynamics but I didn't notice it with my tubes. Remember the 10 minute warm-up time; to me it sounded best after 30-40 mins of it running. If you're taking a break anywhere up to 2-3 hours I would just leave it on, it actually prolongs the life of the tube instead of putting it through another off/on phase.

Mine is set on high resistance right now.  Can I switch the jumpers while it's on and/or playing?

EDIT - Moved it to medium and it helped the sound a lot.  Still trying to get the feel for it.  I also have 4 tubes to try...

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #3,192 of 4,142
Any 400i owners here?  I just received a pair and have been comparing against the HE-4.  Two very different headphones, which I'm sure you all knew.  The 400i has a lot more bass and more forward mids.  The treble is warmer on the 400i but the biggest difference is the soundstage and openess.  The 400i feels like you are in a small 200 person club with the band right on top of you.  While the HE-4 is more like a symphony hall.  The spaciousness, or lack of, and increased bass in the 400i contributes to it's slightly "messy" sound.  instruments are kind of smeared together while with the HE-4 I can pick different instruments out with more ease.  I was hoping I would be able to pick between the two but they are different enough that I may just keep both.  The 400i is fun as hell to listen to, that's for sure!

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #3,193 of 4,142
  Any 400i owners here?  I just received a pair and have been comparing against the HE-4.  Two very different headphones, which I'm sure you all knew.  The 400i has a lot more bass and more forward mids.  The treble is warmer on the 400i but the biggest difference is the soundstage and openess.  The 400i feels like you are in a small 200 person club with the band right on top of you.  While the HE-4 is more like a symphony hall.  The spaciousness, or lack of, and increased bass in the 400i contributes to it's slightly "messy" sound.  instruments are kind of smeared together while with the HE-4 I can pick different instruments out with more ease.  I was hoping I would be able to pick between the two but they are different enough that I may just keep both.  The 400i is fun as hell to listen to, that's for sure!

Are you able to get your hands on a set of HE-500? That would be fantastic. A HE-500i would probably be what I would technically be after (especially regarding mass). The HE-4 has probably 90% of the bass quantity I would ever want, so HE-400/HE-400i might be too much for me. I might try changing around tubes in my amp to see if I can get a sound close to what I want. It needs to be done regardless since the stock tubes are pretty average anyway. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #3,194 of 4,142
Anyone have any suggestions on tubes for the Project Ember that pair well with the HE-4?  I'm not really feeling the ones I have right now.  The best is an Aperex 6DJ8.  It smooths out the sound and tames the highs a bit, but it does weird stuff to the bass... it loses a lot of that awesome planar detail.

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #3,195 of 4,142

Are you able to get your hands on a set of HE-500? That would be fantastic. A HE-500i would probably be what I would technically be after (especially regarding mass). The HE-4 has probably 90% of the bass quantity I would ever want, so HE-400/HE-400i might be too much for me. I might try changing around tubes in my amp to see if I can get a sound close to what I want. It needs to be done regardless since the stock tubes are pretty average anyway. 

Probably, but my wallet says otherwise  :)  If someone wants to lend me one for a review I would be open to that too :)

If you are looking for 10% more bass than the HE-4 then I would agree that the 400 is definitely too much, and the 400i would be as well.  I would say the 400i has closer to 50% more bass the HE-4.

Which amp are you using?  My preferred amps for the HE-4 are the WA6 with 6DF7 tubes and the Fiio A1 speaker amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back