Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #3,107 of 4,142
Does anyone use an after-market cable for their HE-4? My stock cable has a bad left connector. I want something that sounds good and is hassle free.

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #3,108 of 4,142
Oct 18, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #3,109 of 4,142
  Does anyone use an after-market cable for their HE-4? My stock cable has a bad left connector. I want something that sounds good and is hassle free.

Contact @cCasper TFG he may be able to build you a cable for around $75 ish, the benifit is your going to have something more durable, n he stands by his builds so if it breaks he'll repair it.

His prices may vary though so keep in mind $75 is a rough estimate may be higher or lower depending on what you want. 

I've got a 5 Foot Balanced Cable with 2 Pair of Switch Craft Mini Xlrs and a Nerutick 4pin XLR for like $74, so chances are 1.2m with hifiman Connectors and a SE plug should be less :3, as those Switch Craft and Nerutick adapters are costly! 

Also this at 2am blasted at about 85 dbs.... me gustah

I should mention I've upped the Sub Bass by about 5 dbs with a slope down ward ending at 156. I also use negative EQ, either way. It sounds sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #3,110 of 4,142
  IMO the only way to experience true sound is with pure silver cables, 40W monoblocks, and with a bobblehead positioned perfectly on top of the DAC. The last part is the most important for the system though. If the head is shaking too much it means you aren't getting the best connection to your blocks and you may be getting a bit of distortion. I've also found that suspending my cables makes a HUGE difference. If you let your cables touch the ground/table/waffle iron/etc. you'll find that the treble rolls off completely... I'm talking about a 5k roll-off. Still though, it's an easy fix. You just need to get some nylon rope and suspend your cables from the ceiling. With this setup, and when listening on Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings, I find the best synergy. YMMV, IMHO, OMGWTF.

Dude, which bobblehead should I get? Would a Tom Brady beat a Peyton Manning for more bass? 

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #3,113 of 4,142

You don't want that cable... I have a few from thay seller and the microphonics are horrible. If you are okay never moving your head or body ever while listening, then it's a great cable!

All of that said, I became a mild cable beliver after I listened to multiple cables from stock (free) to $800.... I liked the canare star quad cable the best. It had the tightest bass, while the $800 cable sounded like there were crossovers at the bottom and at the top.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,116 of 4,142
Dude, which bobblehead should I get? Would a Tom Brady beat a Peyton Manning for more bass? 

I heard best bang for the buck is the Russell Wilson bobblehead. Same performance, if not better, at the fraction of the price! Not a boutique name but hey

Oct 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #3,117 of 4,142
You don't want that cable... I have a few from thay seller and the microphonics are horrible. If you are okay never moving your head or body ever while listening, then it's a great cable!

All of that said, I became a mild cable beliver after I listened to multiple cables from stock (free) to $800.... I liked the canare star quad cable the best. It had the tightest bass, while the $800 cable sounded like there were crossovers at the bottom and at the top.

I have that cable. No issues at all with microphonics. Get the job done at cheap price.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #3,118 of 4,142
So @jerg did his HE560 mods and posted the easy to follow steps on this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738912/he-560-enhancement-mod#post_10972601

I think mod 1 and mod 3 will do great things to the HE4, someone test it out> @Thujone or someone? Care to give it a shot? Looks like mod 1 dampens the insides and slightly lessens treble while mod 3 increases bass by better connection seal of the earpads and driver.

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #3,119 of 4,142
  So @jerg did his HE560 mods and posted the easy to follow steps on this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738912/he-560-enhancement-mod#post_10972601

I think mod 1 and mod 3 will do great things to the HE4, someone test it out> @Thujone or someone? Care to give it a shot? Looks like mod 1 dampens the insides and slightly lessens treble while mod 3 increases bass by better connection seal of the earpads and driver.

I recommend perforated felt in case of HE-4 because it makes midrange slightly fuller while attenuating treble... Synergizes well with HE-4 and provides the same type of effect shelf liner does. Shelf liner will only attenuate treble slightly to significantly (depending on a specific shelf liner you use) and therefore may be better solution for you if you like the HE-4's tonal balance as is. Be warned though that the ultimate sense of openness HE-4 provides will be decreased in both cases (with felt as well as shelf liner).

I would not recommend mod 3 if you like the ultimate openness of HE-4 and very open-back type of bass... The way jerg seals HE-560 is very significant and will certainly influence the overall sound of HE-4 as well. I explained my point of view in the HE-560 enhancement thread if you wish to read a more detailed response on that.

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #3,120 of 4,142
I've messed around a bit with mod #1 and you'll get varying results. Given the rug/shelf liners I have on hand, the perforated felt is a better choice for the HE-4, IMO. The liners I have don't make too much of a difference, and the HE-4 needs some help in this area.

Mod #3 is already accomplished on my particular pair of HE-4's for a couple reasons. The old mounting rings don't have the holes like the new rings do and the 1540 pads have a thick lip that wraps around the ring, which provides a pretty close/tight fit when you get the pads mounted on. This on top of the closer driver proximity (among possible other factors) allows the 1540 pads to have the best bass response from the pads I've tried.

I've considered doing something similar to mod #2 though. The 1540 pads may benefit from more holes underneath...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back